Central Hostel
US$ 193
US$ 161
Agoda.com
  • Bar/Lounge
Strand Palace Hotel(London)(Great Value!)
US$ 212
US$ 196
Official Hotel Site
US$ 256
US$ 233
Doubletree
  • Restaurant
Park Grand London Lancaster Gate(London)(Great Value!)
US$ 185
  • Pool
US$ 276
US$ 261
Official Site
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 31 December 2010

Its a nice budget hotel situated in the heart of London.

Considering the price, service & rooms were nice, though toilets left much to be desired.

This place has some very good fast food joint & restaurant nearby, plus all major tourist attraction at a walking distance.

But not a bad experience at all.

Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
16  Thank shahzadyusuf
Reviewed 4 December 2010

Avoid this hostel like Londoners should have avoided the plague a couple centuries ago. It's absolutely the most disgusting place I have ever stayed, and I've stayed in a LOT of hostels. The showers are actually black with mold. ALso, the beds are horribly loud and UNCOMFORTABLE. It's not worth the low price, seriously. This place sucks. It should be condemned.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank marychow
Reviewed 6 November 2010

The purpose of this review is to warn you that Central Hostel is not only disgusting to the point of being hazardous to your health, but also dangerous. And I don’t mean dangerous because of the area, but actually from the manager of the Central Hostel itself. I will explain my entire experience and although it may seem to be little things at first, as you read you will realize the seriousness of my warning.
My experience at central hostel was a miserable one even from before I arrived. I am a very well prepared traveler. When we arrived at the Victoria Station to receive our promised free transportation, the shuttle was nowhere to be found. We attempted to call the hostel with the only number they provided to us about five or six times over the span of about forty-five minutes, but they never answered. We finally gave up and just took the tube to the stop closest to the hostel. Upon arriving, the manager was present and I asked about the shuttle and he said they there was a different number for the shuttle that I was supposed to search for though there website, but it was not provided to me with all of the rest of the information to the hostel. He made it very clear that he thought I was incompetent for not think of that myself. My information had an entire section on the transportation, but nowhere did it say we had to call a separate number. This still doesn’t explain way the reason why the number we had, which was to the actual hostel, did not work. We later got the number to the shuttle, and that number did not work either.
We let it go though, dropped off our stuff because it was too early to check in. I was very uncomfortable with leaving my luggage there. Their storage was an outdoor closet that had a huge hole in the bottom of the door that any number of animals could find shelter in. Still, we weren’t about to carry our backpacks around all day, so I let it be.
Later that night, when we returned to officially check in, we went into the room to see our beds and the bed they said was for me looked like someone had been sleeping in it. I asked the receptionist and she assured me that no one had been sleeping in the bed. About an hour later, when I went to go to sleep, I found that my suspicions were correct because there was someone in my bed. I said to the kid that I think he was in my bed and he told me that he had been sleeping there all week. So the receptionist either lied straight to my face or has absolutely no idea what is happening in her own hostel. I told the girl at the front desk and for the moment it appeared that they over booked the room and I was without a bed. I was staying calm but things were getting ridiculous because the receptionist refused to take any responsibility for the mistakes and just acted like it was my own problem. I walked a away for the moment to let her figure things out and went to find the bathroom, as I traveled up the stairs to the other parts of the hostel for the first time, the walls, floors, ledges, and doors look like the place had been abandoned for two years and untouched. It was disgusting. I meant dust over an inch high to the point of definite health risks if you were to breathe it in, which you definitely were if you were staying here. The wall were completely painted, but it looked like a poor attempt to cover up mold and the decay of the walls. It only got worse as I entered the bath room. The shower had more hair and mold in it that would take a week to build up, and the toilet had the seat hanging half off and looked like it had never even been wiped down with water, let alone a cleaner. It was very clear to me that the “maid’ of this build either didn’t care or truly thought his only job was to change the sheets of the beds, because that’s the only thing I saw done. The place was obviously ignored in an attempt to save money and neglect the health and well-being of its temporary residents. And the “maid” caring so little reflects complete the amount of care the manager has for the building and the people he allows to live there. I can only imagine that the owner has either no idea of these problems, or he too just doesn’t care. The condition of this hostel is past the point of just being cheap. It is literally a health risk to stay here and is a breeding ground for disease.
After this discovery, I was fed up and I went down to the reception is to request a refund on the account that not only did they not have a bed for me, but staying here could make me incredible sick and if I showered here I would probably catch the clap. She said that she could not issue a refund herself, and that I would have to talk to the manager in the morning. She also, after a half an hour or so, figured out the bed problem. Because of their horrible bookkeeping abilities, she didn’t realize that a different bed was free, only problem was, neither did the maid and the bed was still dirty. The receptionist actually expected me to just sleep in the bed that this other person had been sleeping in. I actually had to argue with her about that fact that I was paying for a clean bed and the idea of sleeping in someone else sweat and body fluids is utterly disgusting. Who knows what this person did in this bed, there are some sick people out there. It took me a half an hour to get her to change the sheets on the bed and when she finally did she acted as if I asked her something completely ridiculous and farfetched. I let it go and just decided that I would just talk to the manager about it the next day.
The following day we got out of bed, decided not showering was probably a safer bet than showering there. To my dismay, my suspicious about the dust and mold were true. My friend had trouble breath all night due to the condition of this hostel. My friend has asthma but has not had an attack in over a year and a half, and yet the one night in this hostel kept my friend up all night gasping for air and almost having an asthma attack. We are luck my friend was not rushed to the emergence room, and I have no doubt that we would have been at the hospital had we stayed one more day at the Central Hostel. This just added to the importance of leave the Central Hostel immediately. I went to the front desk to ask for the manager. Another disturbing thing I saw as I went into the main office, which is also the breakfast area, was a group of boys and girls who couldn’t have been older than 13. I’m not familiar with the laws of London, but I have a feeling that it isn’t legal for these children to be staying in a hostel, most likely sharing rooms. And the fact that the Central would allow children to stay at their hostel is quite disturbing to me, as I’m sure it is too many people. There was a different girl at the front desk this time and when I asked for the manager, she said I would have to come back later because he was not there. I explained to her that I wanted a refund and this need to be done immediately because we need to start to find another place to stay. I asked her if she could please call the manager and tell him that I need to talk to him right away, and she told me that she had no way of contacting him. I didn’t believe her at first because the idea that she has absolutely no way contacting her superiors is utterly ridiculous and dangerous. I asked her, what if there was an emergency at the hostel or something severe happened, what would she do and who would she call. She just stared at me with an indifferent look and no answer. This was not in the least bit comforting and just adds to the fact that staying in this hostel is incredible dangerous. I came into contact with two different receptionists within 24 hours and both of them were completely incompetent and unhelpful to the highest degree.
Finally my friend and I left to search other hotel/hostel means. We would have used the internet there, but of course, it’s down and the computer might even be broken too. So, we went, with our entire luggage, to an internet café down the street. There we spent the next five hours looking through ten different websites and ranging from hostel to hotel to bed and breakfast. We could find anything in our price range within fifteen miles from the city center. During this time, I also took three trips back and forth to the Central Hostel, looking for the manager, but he was nowhere to be fine. I did finally give my phone number to the receptionist and asked her to please have the manager call me asap when she spoke to or saw him. Finally after five hours and six cups of coffee, we were forced to book a hotel that was incredible too expensive. Because of this purchase, we were forced to skip meals and limit what we saw during our time in London depending on if it cost money or not. After booking the hotel, I had just about given up on contacting the manager. We grab some lunch, and I decided to try one more time before checking into our new hotel.
Long behold, the absent manager who is apparently impossible to contact was finally there. And he obviously didn’t bother to try and call me, like I had asked, because I had received no call. I figure he was just hoping that I had given up. (Absolutely no professionalism) I came into the hostel and I told him that I need to speak with him about a refund for the other three nights that I had paid for, but could not stay there for because of the health and safety risks. He asked me what happened, and as I attempted to start from the beginning and told him that the place as a dump and hardly had a bed the first night, he rudely cut me off and led me into the back room with the male maid, and closed the door. There was absolutely no reason to come into this room. I told him that I only want to explain the situation from my point of view. I felt that he brought me into the back room in a way to intimidate me and scare me by ganging up on me with the male maid. I am not easily intimidated though. Even though the maid was there, I told him flat out the place was a dump and that it went beyond the fact of being a cheap hostel and into just being neglected to the point of disease infested dust and mold in the building. Him and the maid just looked at each other and laughed, obviously not taking me the slightest bit seriously. The manager then went on to say that I was complained because I was a “typical American” apparently, and I found this pretty uncalled for, especially coming from the manager of the Central Hostel. As I continued to try to make my point, I told him that the condition of the place was affecting my friend’s health and that they had trouble breathing all night and came close to having a serious asthma attack. To this, both of the started to laugh again and at this point I realized that it was useless talking to him because he and the maid obviously just don’t care about the health and safety of me or my friend, or anyone else who has or will stay at the Central Hostel of London.
At this point I asked the manager for the phone number to the owner of the hostel because he was obviously not taking me the least bit serious. To this, the manager immediately stopped laugh, began to curse at me multiple times and told me to leave immediately. I suppose he was afraid that the owner wouldn’t be happy with the way he treats his hostel guests, and maybe the owner isn’t aware of the horrible condition that the manager has allowed the owner’s hostel to be in. I immediately turned around and started walking out because obviously the situation was going nowhere. As I walked out without a word, the manager came behind me and continued to scream and curse at me and then began to threaten me physically. He kept saying to leave or he was going to hit me. I don’t know why he felt the need to threaten me, I made no effort to stay or argue with him more. The manager was completely immature are obviously has serious anger issues. He followed me ten feet out the door of the hostel. I think he actually wanted to fight me, but I refused to stoop to his level. I’m not that immature to think that fight solves anything. And I went on my way to make the best out of this, so far, horrible experience of my trip.
Please heed this warning and take it to heart. Do not stay here. It might be cheap, but it would be worth the health bills or your safety. People may say that I get what I pay for, but I disagree. A hostel is cheap to help students and young adults travel the world and learn about different cultures. They are supposed to make it an affordable and possible opportunity. Just because a hostel is inexpensive, does not give it the right to ignore the basic health and safety laws and regulations of the country. There are apparent law violations happening in this hostel. It was even more apparent when even the maid laughed at me when I said the place was disgusting. He obviously just does care. He didn’t even disagree with me, neither of them did. The manager is completely aware of the dangerous condition of the hostel, but just does not care even in the least. This hostel is in the business of taking your money, and not making sure you have a pleasant stay. And to top it all off, the manager has a huge anger problem and may just hit you if even have a problem there. He is dangerous and out of control. So please, don’t give the Central Hostel your business, it’s not worth it. I wrote this because I feel like it must be known. The Central Hostel is disgusting and vile place and the manager, employees, and maid are incompetent, unhelpful, unprofessional, and even dangerous. Good luck fellow travelers.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
7  Thank CheffoDublin
Reviewed 13 October 2010

Really shabby & dirty, ran-down and after changed my mind still waiting for promised refund!!! If you want to complain and/or speak to the manager you better be patient as it will never happen...

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
5  Thank Javier E
Reviewed 28 July 2010

Is it the greatest hostel ever? No, but come on this is a hostel, not a hotel. Can't beat the location and I thought the building had character.... It also helps that there were really cool people staying there at the time.

The place could be a little cleaner, but the water pressure in the showers on the 3rd floor (?) was awesome, really awesome.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends