YHA London St Pauls
  • Room Service
The Ned(London)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewsyouth hostelmillennium bridgecathedral bellsbottom bunkcommunal areas areluggage roomlight sleeperblackfriars stationbring earplugsbudget accommodationtate modernplenty of hot watertoilet and showercentral locationamazing locationwi filate at night
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 February 2012

This hostel is in a great location. Fact. It isn't particularly cheap, however. For myself and two young daughters in a private room, breakfast and a YHA supplement it came to around ninety pounds. For that I would have liked the rooms to be much better maintained and cleaner. Washed curtains, fixed windows, a carpet that fits etc. The breakfast was good and the service was nice. I'll go back but if it gets any dearer I will think again.

Room Tip: Add in a supplement if you are not a YHA member
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank l v
Reviewed 27 January 2012

I have stayed at the YHA St Pauls several times over the last 6 months.

The facilities and dormitories are okay. Nothing to write home about, but okay. However, there is a fair amount of noise from the street and from the bells from St Pauls (every 15 mins throughout the night). I have been unlucky every time I've stayed and also ended up in a room with a VERY loud snorer - but that's the risk you take anywhere and not a criticism of the hostel.

The last time I stayed there was a homeless man in one of the beds who shouted and swore throughout the night. I didn't go to sleep at all, and I'm not sure that any of the other travelers did either. Because of this one experience, I couldn't recommend this hostel for anyone planning to stay with children.

The shower rooms are mostly pretty unpleasant. They are cramped plastic boxes and pretty much all of them have black mould on the walls (mostly just e.g. behind the door, but some are worse than others). Although extractor fans are present, they don't seem to extract, so the rooms get very close indeed after a shower (I had to open the door and fan some fresh air in before drying myself this (January) morning).

There is a restaurant that I haven't eaten in, but it looks okay and has a varied menu. I've heard food things about the breakfast, although I haven't tried it myself.

The staff are pleasant, but fairly indifferent. There is plenty of information about things going on in London, however. The TV room etc. are quite nice.

Having said that, beds in this hostel are extremely cheap for London.

Last night was awful and I ended up leaving the hostel about 6 am because I didn't want to be in the room when the homeless guy woke up. But on previous stays I've felt that the hostel is less pleasant than most YHA hostels, but represents good value for money in central London.

In short, it's generally okay but isn't somewhere I would consider taking children.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on one of the higher floors - there is no lift, but you won't get as much noise from the street.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Matthew1234
Reviewed 12 January 2012

I've stayed in this Youth Hostel quite a few times now. It's right next to Saint Paul's cathedral (I love the sound of the bells chiming the time at night). But that in itself isn't why I go back. My main reason is that, as London Youth Hostels go, it's not a "party hostel." There are plenty of young people there, but plenty of families and older people as well, and I'm well past being able to tolerate drunken clubbers bursting into the dorm at 4.30 am, turning on the light and conducting a voluble conversation in Spanish until 6.30am. This is not to say it's always quiet (you will still get the odd 19 year old who is convinced that the rest of the dorm loves listening to his personal stereo at 1am). As one other reviewer says, you get competition for power sockets in the dorms (but I can tolerate that). Breakfasts have grown slightly more spartan over the years as well (from bacon, eggs and beans to bacon, egg and bean) and the place is shabbier now than it was in 2001, when I first went there. On the other hand, it's relatively close to the places I like to go in London (40 minute walk to the British Library or British Museum; 35 minute walk to Trafalgar Square and the edges of Soho; 20 minutes to Covent Garden Market). And, as I say, you can't really get more London than Saint Paul's.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank Nick T
Reviewed 10 December 2011

It is amazing that you can stay so close to such an historic landmark as St Pauls. The hostel is old and there are not a lot of bathrooms (typical english haha) and you have to pay for breakfast (not unusual in England) but it is worth it as the hostel is so central. A short walk to the Millenium bridge and then a stroll along the South Bank to the Globe Theatre and Tower Bridge.

Room Tip: The room I was in you could hear the St Pauls bells going off every 15 minutes but after walking all day, sleep with overcome even that.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 December 2011

Although I enjoyed my stay, it had its ups and it's downs. The beds were comfortable although to get to the top bunk you had to climb over the lower ones. There was only one plug socket in our room, leaving 6 people in a room to charge their phones in shifts. The breakfast was good though-a buffet with cereals, croissants, fruit, and full English. And the service was good. The protesters were camped at the top of the road but were no problem, in fact they were very approachable and it was interesting to hear their views.

• Stayed: December 2011