“Champagne birthday treat not up to standard!”
Review of Afternoon Tea

Afternoon Tea
Ranked #1,186 of 25,464 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$ 73 - US$ 112
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: St. James's
Description: Indulge in one of the finest British traditions and take Afternoon Tea at The Ritz. Enjoy a selection of finely cut sandwiches, freshly baked scones with Cornish clotted cream and strawberry preserve, and a range pastries and teacakes. As well as 18 different types of loose-leaf tea to choose from. This is served in the spectacular Palm Court, the elegant ambiance is complemented by a musical ensemble from our resident pianist and harpist – the final ingredient to ensure your Afternoon Tea at The Ritz, is quite simply, unforgettable. Dress code: Gentlemen are required to wear a jacket and tie (jeans and sportswear are not permitted for either ladies or gentlemen) for afternoon tea in The Palm Court. It is our policy to request that any items which cover the face are removed inside the hotel. The Ritz prides itself in delivering the highest of service standards therefore, we maintain our traditional values and do not include a discretionary service charge on your final account.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

My daughter took to me to the Ritz in London for my 50th Birthday (My son had taken me to the Ritz in Paris 4 months earlier - outstanding - so I was expecting the same level of service....) sadly not received!

We were greeted by 'no coats allowed madam - please take them to the cloakroom'(!) then we had to re-join the queue(!). We were sat in the middle of the brightly decorated room which although beautiful we were sat looking out onto the lobby as was everyone else. Couples sat next to each other rather than opposite. There was a lovely pianist playing but she was sat on the other side of the lobby?!

I did notice the chair was dirty (badly stained) when I sat down but I didn't say anything as it was my daughters treat to me. We were given the champagne straight away and chose our tea. The sandwiches came quickly - the bread looked like basic supermarket bread which I found disappointing but they tasted OK. The savouries/pastries were lovely but there was 1 of most things - not the usual 2 you would expect.

The waiters all seemed to be running around the tables, there didn't seem to be any format and we got served by at least 4 different people.

The second plate of sandwiches arrived - everyone got offered extra and most people accepted as they were very tiny. The scones were a weird texture - microwaved I felt. Very sad. Not once did they poor or fresh our tea cups.

We received several e mails before we went giving us prices for Birthday cakes, which we did not respond to. On the day however, several people (including myself), got a small individual cake with a candle in it, which was presented to everyone at the same time with a rendition of Happy Birthday - this was the only edible thing they let us take home.

In all I was extremely disappointed. Compared to the opulence, choices and superb service in Paris it was extremely run of the mill and not special at all.

I would not recommend as it is more of a conveyor belt experience and there are so many nicer places to chose from.

5  Thank SuinLeeds

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

The best afternoon tea i have ever had. The place was beautiful and nothing at all was to much trouble for the staff. It made the most perfect day. Lovely sandwiches, scones and cakes with unlimited refills. Expensive but extremely good value for money. Everyone needs to try this place.

Reviewed 23 March 2018

My partner and I booked afternoon tea for the latest sitting at 7.30pm. I had 2 main concerns having read the reviews beforehand. One being the portions/not being served very much and the other was that we would be rushed. I also noted a few about the tables being too close and the tea feeling staged.
On the whole we were pleasantly surprised and really enjoyed ourselves, we would both visit again.
This was my first afternoon tea at a London hotel so I can’t compare to others however I’ve dined at many Michelin star restaurants in London and in the UK and the service was definitely up to par.
The waiters (all male might I add) were very attentive and well mannered and went to every mile to make our afternoon tea enjoyable. They were impeccably dressed in tailcoats and red. We had 2 waiters serving our table which was a little less personal than had we just had one but none the less they were great.
On the portions front we left unable to eat another bite. We had 2 rounds of sandwiches, 2 scones each, fruit and plain, and a plate of various patisseries. The food just kept on coming and when I mentioned to the waiter how much I enjoyed the scones he offered to bring more. A trolley came round towards the end with 2 different cakes. We hadn’t eaten since lunch and left stuffed. I think they give a very generous amount of food and we didn’t feel rushed by the fact they took old plates away and provided us with clean ones and further plates of food, if anything it was a plus. We left at just gone 9.15pm by which point we were finished and we left unprompted. I choose the latest siting purposefully so they wouldn’t be looking to get the tables back ready for the next sitting but personally I think that we really wouldn’t have wanted anymore time, after all this is afternoon tea not a dinner sitting.
The tables are beautifully set with solid silver teapots and cutlery and pretty crockery. The Palm Court is really stunning with mirrors every where and lots of gold leaf, very classic and elegant. It is interesting to read about the history of The Ritz and it architecture before you go.
We were in no way offended with the strict dress code of the hotel, especially it being evening. I love an excuse to dress up!
The waitor was very sweet and asked if we would like to take away the menu that was on the table I suppose as a little remembrance, which was quite novel but it was a nice gesture. Yes I do think it is made up as a bit of a novelty maybe this is not the case with the other London Hotel afternoon teas but it didn’t detract from us having a very enjoyable time.
If I had any comments to leave it would be that it would have been nice to have been greeted better and for someone to have shown us where to take our coats and then shown us to our table, we noticed a lot of people standing around to begin with, us included and this was why.
Also we decided to drive in to London and parked in a car park which was literally a stones throw away which at £40 was cheaper than 2 train tickets. A lovely touch at the end was as we were walking back to the car park having left the hotel the concierge ran out an handed us an umbrella as it was raining. Really 1st class service!! Thank you

Reviewed 19 March 2018 via mobile

Service and ambience was perfect. We were treated ever so well by staff from the door to the table. The food really wasn’t that great, I’m sorry. The sandwiches were dry and seemed slapped together. The scones were ok but nothing amazing. No option for a preserve other than strawberry jam. The sweets on top were just strange and the macaroon was terrible. The chocolate mousse cake that came around on the trolley, however, was delicious. This was my first real afternoon tea experience, so perhaps my expectations for the food were too high. You really are paying for the overall experience but at £115, it hurts a little (ok, a lot.)

1  Thank sarchrisa
Reviewed 13 March 2018 via mobile

From the moment we arrived at the Ritz and was greeted out of the taxi by the concierge, what a fantastic experience. The ambience, the service, the politeness, the sandwiches, the vast selection of worldwide tea and cakes was nothing short of first class. We arrived at early and was allowed to take in the splendid architecture of the building and take lots of pictures. We were then shown to an idyllic table and was given a first class two hour unspoilt unhurried Afternoon tea for myself and my partner that will be etched in our minds . None stop sandwiches, cakes and tea just kept coming until we couldn’t move for being so full. The taste buds were different with every cake and sandwich , washed down with excellent teas from around the world . A truly memorable experience .

Been to Afternoon Tea? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK