“Best Tapas Bar ever”

Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Southwark
Reviewed 18 August 2017

Visited in July with family whilst down in London seeing my son. We were staying in the Travelodge just around the corner and my bedroom window looked out onto the back of the restaurant and just the same inspired me to want to visit. I can honestly say this is THE best Spanish food I have ever tasted - even when I've been in Spain!! The staff were friendly and welcoming, the service was first class and the atmosphere was just lovely. It was very clear that there are people who dine here regularly and that speaks volumes. Will defo return if I am every back in the area.

Reviewed 3 August 2017

I reviewed this a year ago and little has changed. We always enjoy it. Start with the oloroso sherry with some almendras, A new discovery is their excellent garlic bread. Uncompromisingly garlicky. We are slightly stick in the mud with our choices but added the excellent rabbit this time. Strongly recommended.

Reviewed 29 July 2017 via mobile

Small, quaint setting with a decent menu. Ordered 6 dishes to share between 2 of us.

The portion sizes are good and we both felt we'd have enough, in fact could not manage dessert.

The meatballs were tasty, patatas bravas had no flavour, chicken croquettes unavailable, which was disappointing.

We felt rushed by our waitress who when we didn't order dessert came to clean and set our table whilst we were still finishing our drinks giving a distinct 'leave now' message. It wasn't too busy, there were empty tables. Had this not happened, we would have ordered more drinks.

Table turning is a particular peeve of mine as is flavourless food, hence the average score.

2  Thank Clare T
Reviewed 11 July 2017

Lovely quaint restaurant
Staff lovely and helpful
Sangria fabulous & tapas felt like we were in the med!

Reviewed 28 June 2017

On our last night in London, my husband did a quick Google search of good restaurants around our flat, and that is how we found Mar I Terra. This little Spanish restaurant is tucked away in a corner. If you don't know about it, it may be hard to spot.

We walked in around 7:30pm on a Friday night, and luckily got seated immediately. The restaurant was already quite full. We ordered Falda de cerdo (pork belly) and Piquillos con cangrejo (crab stuffed in peppers), along with a bread basket and a variety of Spanish beers. I ended my meal with a chocolate mousse.

It was a lovely dinner. The total came to around GBP 43 for two (tips included in the bill). The restaurant has a lively atmosphere and some quirky art works on the walls. The staff was wonderful. Very friendly guys, always serving with a smile.