“Slightly above average”

Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Southwark
Reviewed 29 July 2017 via mobile

Small, quaint setting with a decent menu. Ordered 6 dishes to share between 2 of us.

The portion sizes are good and we both felt we'd have enough, in fact could not manage dessert.

The meatballs were tasty, patatas bravas had no flavour, chicken croquettes unavailable, which was disappointing.

We felt rushed by our waitress who when we didn't order dessert came to clean and set our table whilst we were still finishing our drinks giving a distinct 'leave now' message. It wasn't too busy, there were empty tables. Had this not happened, we would have ordered more drinks.

Table turning is a particular peeve of mine as is flavourless food, hence the average score.

2  Thank Clare T

Reviewed 11 July 2017

Lovely quaint restaurant
Staff lovely and helpful
Sangria fabulous & tapas felt like we were in the med!

Reviewed 28 June 2017

On our last night in London, my husband did a quick Google search of good restaurants around our flat, and that is how we found Mar I Terra. This little Spanish restaurant is tucked away in a corner. If you don't know about it, it may be hard to spot.

We walked in around 7:30pm on a Friday night, and luckily got seated immediately. The restaurant was already quite full. We ordered Falda de cerdo (pork belly) and Piquillos con cangrejo (crab stuffed in peppers), along with a bread basket and a variety of Spanish beers. I ended my meal with a chocolate mousse.

It was a lovely dinner. The total came to around GBP 43 for two (tips included in the bill). The restaurant has a lively atmosphere and some quirky art works on the walls. The staff was wonderful. Very friendly guys, always serving with a smile.

Reviewed 4 May 2017 via mobile

My husband and I met friends for dinner here last night and overall had a nice experience. Service was a bit iffy with the waiters seeming to be more interested in talking to each other than customers but we had a nice time talking to one another anyway. I got a glass of the house white which was dry but pretty bland. My hubs liked his house red better. I ordered the lentejas which were very nice and the aubergine. I thought the latter was a bit small for even tapas. My friend's patatas bravas were nice and crunchy and served warm. My husband got the beans and morcilla; it was good but not ground-breaking. The roasted veg though was lovely.

Overall, a nice time in nice surroundings with good art on the walls.

Reviewed 14 April 2017

Having booked a table for two at 7.30pm, I was looking forward to some hearty tapas and a good bottle of red and a catch-up with my uncle at a restaurant not tried before. Imagine our surprise when arriving at 7.39pm, they stated we were 10 mins late so had given the table to someone else. Not only that, the lucky diner looked very comfortable at his table and no doubt had been there for some time. The boy behind the bar looked extremely uncomfortable and the nodding dog which may have been the owner just shook his head as if to say, you've blown it and I've given your table away 10mins before your booking time to a regular. Totally pathetic. No balls to admit he's cocked up or that he really didn't care. The food reviews are average for this place and my advice, avoid this amateur and book at Meson Don Felipe.

2  Thank Tony B