“Nice dinner with friends”

Mar I Terra - Blackfriars
Ranked #3,067 of 23,381 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$ 0 - US$ 57
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Southwark
Reviewed 4 May 2017 via mobile

My husband and I met friends for dinner here last night and overall had a nice experience. Service was a bit iffy with the waiters seeming to be more interested in talking to each other than customers but we had a nice time talking to one another anyway. I got a glass of the house white which was dry but pretty bland. My hubs liked his house red better. I ordered the lentejas which were very nice and the aubergine. I thought the latter was a bit small for even tapas. My friend's patatas bravas were nice and crunchy and served warm. My husband got the beans and morcilla; it was good but not ground-breaking. The roasted veg though was lovely.

Overall, a nice time in nice surroundings with good art on the walls.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 14 April 2017

Having booked a table for two at 7.30pm, I was looking forward to some hearty tapas and a good bottle of red and a catch-up with my uncle at a restaurant not tried before. Imagine our surprise when arriving at 7.39pm, they stated we were 10 mins late so had given the table to someone else. Not only that, the lucky diner looked very comfortable at his table and no doubt had been there for some time. The boy behind the bar looked extremely uncomfortable and the nodding dog which may have been the owner just shook his head as if to say, you've blown it and I've given your table away 10mins before your booking time to a regular. Totally pathetic. No balls to admit he's cocked up or that he really didn't care. The food reviews are average for this place and my advice, avoid this amateur and book at Meson Don Felipe.

2  Thank Tony B
Reviewed 13 April 2017 via mobile

What a great place. Hidden away but easy to find, this Tapas restaurant/bar has an amazing selection of dishes, complimented by a good Spanish based wine list. All the dishes we ordered were perfectly cooked, and came at a steady pace so you were not overloaded at one time. Close your eyes and you think you are in Spain. Great friendly service.

Reviewed 2 April 2017 via mobile

We hadn't booked and although there were Reserved signs on a lot of tables the staff were able to fit us in after a 5-10 minute wait. We were sat in an unlit corner where our pupils eventually recovered.

The bottled beer, Mahou (pronounce Mow) like the draught, is very nice, so I had 2 and my wife had a glass of Rose.

We enjoyed a starter of Olives (although many of them were tiny), Padron Peppers, Patatas Bravas, and mains of beef stew (sorry Spanish name forgotten but features Buey which is Spanish for beef),

Desserts were Frangipane tart and what the restaurante describes as their 'famous cheese board'. I suggest the cheese board be renamed 'the infamous cheese board' as I felt the amount of cheese on the board, with bits of membrillo and fig, for which small water biscuits were the only type of cracker on offer, was overpriced at £12.50.

The staff were all very pleasant and the whole meal cost us £62.95. However the restaurant slapped a 12.5% gratuity (tip) of £7.87 on to our bill, to bring it up to £70.82. I normally like to choose my own level of tip but to avoid any unpleasantness I paid up, which left me with a bit of a sour taste in the end.

Reviewed 14 March 2017

Went with a group of friends and had a great evening. The atmosphere is relaxed and there were Spanish people eating there which is a good sign. This is a tapas restaurant and the variety is impressive. There are dishes here that you don't see in other places, for example lentils with chorizo, baby green beans with morcilla and sausage, crisp belly pork with quince, and rabbit - but we didn't try that. The padron peppers were piping hot, the chorizo was great as were the garlic prawns, although the patatas bravas could have been cooked a bit more. Wine by the bottle and the glass was good, we had a lovely bottle of Rioja as well as white wine by the glass. Tap water was brought and topped up through the night. If you're in the vicinity of Blackfriars or The Cut this place is definitely worth a visit.