“Great Filipino food, service could be better ”
Review of Romulo Cafe

Romulo Cafe
Ranked #1,089 of 25,029 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$ 9 - US$ 20
Description: Nestled in a quiet corner of Kensington High Street, Romulo Café London is the perfect spot to savour the very best of Philippine-inspired cuisine in London. Having transformed an elegant Georgian town house in the spirit of a comfortable Filipino home, the restaurant offers four discrete dining areas. We aim to open minds and palates to the rich tapestry of Filipino cooking and hospitality.
Reviewed 8 April 2018 via mobile

Hidden away at the west end of Kensington High Street, this is a great place for authentic Filipino food at reasonable prices.

The setting was nice and casual, with interesting photos of people related to the Philippines.

It might have been the time we came (2pm on a Wednesday), but our waiter could have been friendlier. For the first half an hour, he didn’t say a word to us.

However, this didn’t spoil what was overall a very good dining experience.

RomuloLondon, Owner at Romulo Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2018

Dear Jrhunter2,

Thank you for dining with us and I glad that you liked the ambience and the food. Your feedback on our staff has been duly noted and my apologies if he didn't seem friendly. We are committed to providing excellent service and I will ensure that this does not happen again. We hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

First on the positives, everything we ordered tasted great, everything right temperature, drinks were also very nice. Very big thumbs up to the kitchen and the waiters.

On the flip side. We were a large group and were prepared to order what we can and share family style, the waitress took our orders and promptly served our drinks. Shortly afterward someone who could possibly be a manager stated "For such a large group you haven't ordered enough we may not be able to accept this order"

I for one have never heard of ANY food establishment turn down an order because not enough food was ordered.

After challenging this. The manager or owner said " it's our terms and conditions and we will continue to serve you once you order more, it's okay if you can't finish it you can take it away"

What about if we were on the way to another function afterwards where food is not allowed will we have to dispose of the food we've paid extra for just to accommodate their minimum order terms?

As we have traveled for a while and were very hungry we obliged to these terms and conditions and ordered more.

Again all the food was very nice. And the service from the wait staff was brilliant. Just a shame to be let down by management who could have agreed to our wishes or at least state before we order there is a minimum order policy.

RomuloLondon, Owner at Romulo Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2018

Dear Jj K,

First of all, thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve your group. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed all the food and service. I will certainly pass on your comments to our staff.

Second, I am sorry to hear about this issue on minimum orders. I can personally assure you that our guests are welcome to order what they wish and do not require any minimum order to dine with us. For first time guests who may not be familiar with our portions, we normally make recommendations as to what to order especially for big groups but these are only suggestions and it is really up to the guests as to their preferences. I would appreciate if you could provide me more information as to when you dined with us so that I can personally investigate this matter and hopefully rectify this situation. I can be reached at management@romulocafe.co.uk.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

What a great find. There aren't many Filipino restaurants in London.

Food - favourite dishes are the sisig and the rice with shrimp paste. There aren't many places that do rice with shrimp paste in London. What came through were the quality of the ingredients. Other must try dishes: squid, beef short rib and the buck panda pudding.. instead of shaved ice they use shaved frozen milk - YUM!

Drinks - Some really interesting cocktails on the list with great attention to detail. They are serious about their drinks here and can make anything you like. One of the cocktails was smoked and one was served in a glass shaped as a stiletto heel.

Overall, I would come back every day if I lived in the area! Charming helpful staff, great food and friendly place.

Dear London24601,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you. I am glad that you have discovered Filipino food and now have your favourite dishes! We do try to ensure that we offer only the finest ingredients and it seems that we did not disappoint!

Similarly, we are proud of our cocktails and the 2 that you mentioned are the most popular ones: Batangas Bad Boy and Imelda's High Heels.

We do hope to see you again very soon!

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Authentic and honest Filipino food has finally landed in London. Amazing food and service. The GM is a superstar!!

Dear Balongandy,

Thank you for your kind feedback. Delighted that you enjoyed our food and service. We hope to welcome you back again very soon!

Reviewed 1 April 2018

Everything at Romulo Cafe is authentically Filipino. Yes, some of their dishes are not what I am used to, but that's probably because all Filipino families have their own version. I highly admire that their chef made the effort to present the food artistically rather than altering the recipe to suit the British palette.

Ambience is very homely similar to their Makati restaurant. Service is very attentive to the point that glasses are filled without asking. I'm actually very impressed with their two non-filipino waitress who pronounced the food perfectly! Quality of food is also spot on - reflective of the price you actually pay.

I recommend General's Combo Platter as an appetiser. The crispy squid with the pinakurat dip is so yummy to the point it is actually addicting. Binagoogang Crispy Pata and Lechon Kawali for sharing is a must. End your meal with the luscious, milky halo-halo and if you fancy a hot drink with it, try their Ube Latte.

Finally, a Filipino restaurant I can highly recommend to friends and family! Will definitely come back to try their Kare-Kare and Prawn Aligue. :)

RomuloLondon, Owner at Romulo Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2018

Dear Mscatbagan,
Thank you for your kind feedback. You are correct that the dishes we serve are family recipes and our interpretation of Filipino food. Given Filipino cuisine is not yet as known as other Asian cuisine, we have made sure that are dishes not only taste good but also look good! I am glad that we did not disappoint!
We will be coming out with new dishes soon so watch this space and do visit us again soon!
I will certainly pass on your comments to our chefs and non-Filipina waitresses. Salamat!
Kind regards,