“As you'd welcome guests into your own home”
Review of Meze Mangal

Meze Mangal
Ranked #1,829 of 23,025 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$ 19 - US$ 39
Cuisines: Turkish
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Duxbury, Massachusetts
“As you'd welcome guests into your own home”
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Among the pretentious, vacuous restaurants that abound in any city, here is a little gem of authenticity in an ordinary southeast London neighbourhood. Outside it is plain; inside, the aromas spark not only an appetite but expectations that are more than met by the friendly patron and the delicious food. We were three and sampled very different aspects of the offerings - lamb, chicken and fish - and all were as you'd serve guests in your own home: well cooked, seasoned subtly, generous in portion, and accompanied by a variety of salad textures. And at modest prices you are more than happy to pay.

The wine our host recommended was inexpensive, crisp, cold and delicious. And here is another reason I'll be back soon: the restaurant is busy but we were never rushed. The serving staff watched carefully as we visited for quite a while over our scrumptuous starters, and when our main course dishes arrived, everything was piping hot.

Of course nothing is perfect. The bread was hard, so next time I'll ask the patron to warm but not heat the pita. How do I know he'll do that? I asked for a starter that wasn't on the menu and he was delighted to make it for me.

The restaurant is about five minute walk from St. John's overground train station, two stops from London Bridge but not close enough to Boston, where we live, so I asked the owner if he'd consider opening in Boston. You'll have to wait in line, he said; I already have requests in from New York, Chicago and Washington DC.

Starters, dinner, sides and wine for three under 75GBP.

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank LadyDilberta
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

London
“Perfection, lovely food and great service”
Reviewed 28 March 2012

This place is great, the food is great, it's good value, the service is amazing and the atmosphere is fun and lively. It doesn't look like much when you go past but I live locally and it is always busy. (Book before you go to avoid disappointment). The staff are friendly and helpful and go the extra mile, the food is lovely.. This is my favuourite restaurant in London.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank Sarah J
“From the entrance to the exit, it just keeps getting better”
Reviewed 25 March 2012

We live in canary wharf, so took to walking from Deptford Bridge to reach the restaurant. The first view of the restaurant through the neighbourhood was not the prettiest, but hold on. We were greeted well and were seated cosily closer to what had to be large oven with flames inside in the form of a house. All the special bread seems to come from inside of it and two random starters, one hot and one hot, both were heavenly. We were pretty much full by the time we finished starters with hot bread. But what next, the lamb kebabs minced and otherwise, were simply superb. I still cannot believe we came out of the restaurant not sparing a morsel.

• Visited March 2012
london
“Fantastic food”
Reviewed 11 March 2012

I go to Meze Mangal every year for my birthday. The food is terrific. Smoky BBQ flavours, tasty salads and rich Turkish wine.

Without doubt one of the finest restaurants in South-East London. Amazing value-for-money.

• Visited September 2011
2 Thank nunobensen
London
“Can't fault the food, but amount of smoke in the air made us to rush out without deccert”
Reviewed 9 March 2012

Mezze for starter selection and mains were delicious and generous portions (by London standards) but we couldn't stay for coffee or dessert as they started to cook large order for the party in the downstairs room and the whole upstairs room got filled up with the smoke. It was so difficult to breathe that I had to rush to the toilet to get a breath of fresh air. It was too cold outside to open a window and their extraction didn't cope. I am not sure if it happens there often or just one off as no one else mentioned this in their reviews but this experience put me off, which is a shame as they do really nice food.

• Visited March 2012