“Excellent value for money and a great location.”

Heywood House Hotel
Ranked #15 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
york
“Excellent value for money and a great location.”
Reviewed 15 July 2012

This was our first visit to Liverpool and we loved every minute of it. The room was clean and comfortable with all the amenities you could expect. The hotel was easy to get to being very close to James Street Station. The Hotel is well positioned for short walks to all the attractions of Albert Dock, Mersey Ferry, The Cavern Club, Liverpool Museum, Maritime Museum and The Beatles Story. Our room booking did not include breakfast so we opted to eat in Fenwicks Cafe which was next door and very popular.
I would highly recommend Liverpool and this Hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
HeywoodHouseHotel, Front Office Manager at Heywood House Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2012
Thanks for your positive review, were glad you found our hotel comfortable and accessible to all local attractions. We hope you come and visit us again soon.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 13 July 2012 via mobile

This place is a hidden jewel!

Discovered it when I stayed in Liverpool last Dec for a job interview. Could not have been happier with my choice. (Got the job too!)

The 1st room they put me in looked gorgeous and was spotless. Everything about it was high quality. The furnishings were beautiful, very elegant.

The only problem I had was a draught coming in the window which was needing some attention. It was late & I was tired & unpacked, so just mentioned to reception the next day and they switched us to another room as soon as they could.

If you're looking for a cracking hotel base from which to explore the fabulous city of Liverpool look no further...and don't forget to check out all the Lambananas all over the city!

• Stayed December 2011
Thank you for your lovely comments, were very happy you enjoyed your stay with us. We have taken on board your comments regarding the draft from the window and our maintenance team have fixed this problem. We hope you stay with us again in the near future. PS Congratulations on getting your job, maybe our hotel brought you luck?!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2012

I stayed in room 303 in July and it had a distinctive smell about it.I will only pay the discounted price for this hotel. Although, location wise this hotel is great and staff really do work hard to provide the best for customers. I also found that in this room the windows were very flimsy and one of the handles of the windows was almost broken. The reception is small, and breakfast is provided by the next door restaurant called Nobel house. Heywood house have a very useful folder in the room which tells u every thing about the nearby attractions. Also the taxi service used by the hotel is very prompt so I was impressed by that.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Hi were sorry to hear about your experience during your stay, we have taken on board all your comments and put them forward to our maintenance team who will deal with the matter. However were glad you found our staff helpful and hope that you try us again in the future.
London
Reviewed 11 July 2012

I booked a Comfy room, but was upgraded to a Plush room, meaning i had complimentary water and robes. The receptionists were very pleasant and helpful, check in was swift and easy.
The room was very clean and has everything you could possibly need.
I was on the second floor at the front of the hotel, but never heard any noise from the road below. The location of the hotel is perfect for getting to the attractions on the docks, or the main shopping centre. Highly recommended!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank KVM4
Thank you for your positive comments were glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that you would recommend us. We aim to give the highest possible standards and to make all our guests feel comfortable.
We hope to see you again in the near future.
Conwy, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2012

We decided, after much deliberation to go to the Heywood house for our 'Honeymoon.' Ok, it's not our proper honeymoon, but I was due in for surgery on Tuesday in a hospital in Liverpool, we'd got married on Saturday and I knew I would be on bedrest after the surgery, so we left for our hotel on Monday and had a night there before surgery and a night after surgery. I chose a "4 star" hotel because it's our honeymoon and I wanted it to be special. I paid extra for a "Plush" room and told them it was my honeymoon.

Well I was sorely disappointed. By no stretch of the imagination is this hotel a 4 star, 3 star maybe, and for a 3 star I would be happy, but I wanted something special.

Firstly, we arrived and were sent to our room. My first thought was, small, dark, stuffy, and not that nice. In about 5 minutes I began to notice more and more problems, the peeling paintwork, the water stains on the bathroom walls, the strange duct tape on the bathroom door (?) so I lifted back the bedsheet and wished I hadn't. I found pubic hair and weird brown/red stains on the sheet. Even the carpet was stained. Enough was enough, My husband called down to reception and told them all the problems.

To be fair they did say they'd move us. But they ignored us for over an hour, while we sat and waited in their grubby little room. Eventually my husband went down to reception because he had to move the car, there is no car park, we parked outside and paid for an hour and he had to move it. The receptionist called up saying she was coming up to move us, she "claimed" the hotel was full...in total we saw about 4 people in the entire hotel the entire time we stayed there. Eventually she came and we moved down the corridor to room 211.

Room 211. Was it the lovely plush 4 star hotel that we wanted? No! But at least the sheets were clean, I know because I examined them. Apart from all the rips on the sheet and cover, it was at least clean. The paintwork left a lot to be desired though and the carpet looked old and worn. The window was tiny and wouldn't open, the room was stuffy and small and I wasn't happy with it at all. For the price it was "ok" but not that it claimed to be 4 star. I wanted something special! And 4 star "sounds" special. Don't be fooled.

And if that is a "Plush" room I dread to think what a normal room looked like. Most amusing was the teeny tiny chair. I sat down in in and found myself very squashed. Granted I am a curvier lady, BUT I'm not HUGE, that chair was ridiculous, my husband tried it and got stuck. He hobbled around the room with the chair attached to him! Who was that chair made for? Children? Supermodels? Child supermodels?

One good point, because I'm fair, is the shower. Loved it. It was very nice and powerful, easy to control and I could've stayed there forever exalting in the lovely power shower.

I can't comment on the food though, we didn't eat there. We ate down the room at the Olive Press, which was fantastic and after surgery when I couldn't go out, my husband asked them to prepare a takeaway hummus and some calamari for me and they did it. I was very impressed with them.

Overall though, the Heywood House was too claustrophobic in those little rooms, with tiny windows and I had to use the air con to keep cool, which I don't like. It is a good price, but it's not 4 star! And at the very least, it should be clean. And it certainly wasn't. I wanted something special, but this was less than average in my view. I still keep seeing the image of the horrible pubic hair and stain. Yuck.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room to get more light.