“Small portions - not good value”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Old Bakery

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lincoln
The Old Bakery
Ranked #13 of 52 Lincoln B&B and Inns
Lincoln UK
“Small portions - not good value”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2011

We attended here for a Xmas function. Delicious food but 1 mushroom for a starter (2inches across), blade of beef was small portion with one small scoop of potatoe, 3 sliced carrots!!!
Cost £28. Appalling!!

• Stayed December 2011
5 Thank Donnaa5dcp
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Lincoln, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2011

We have been to the old bakery several times a year for the last six years or so. We would always recommend, and thoroughly enjoyed a very varied menu. We are nor sure what has happened, we ate there yesterday with some of our family expecting the usual good service and menu. It was a very pretentious menu, not much choice, not great quality, very underwhelming, very over priced. we would not recommend again, indeed on last nights meal we have cancelled out New years eve booking. The wine list has changed a lot and drinks were very expensive. Service was very slow. This is truly a great shame. What has happened. Is there a new chef? Has the owner given up?

Room Tip: Didn't stay so can't recommend
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank dawnsmith106
Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2011

We have been for Sunday lunch twice in the last 2 months and both times i have found my dining eperience enjoyable.

The atmosphere has been relaxed and the restaurant appeared to have stagged bookings well so that there was not big delays, but rather appropriate pauses between courses.

The menu is set with around 5 dishes to choose from for each course. The food tasted fresh and well made, particularly the fish i had for my main course on my first visit. I would say that when i had the roast lamb on my second visit, it was beautifully cooked but i found the gravy to be a little salty for my taste.

The desserts are beautiful if you can manage one particularly the pannacotta. They also have a little deli so that food can be bought to take home.

My only 2 gripes are that drinks are quite expensive against the price of the food and also i disliked my yorkshire pudding. I have yet to find a restaurant that can make decent yorkshires when serving mass numbers, but none will ever taste as good as my dads!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank belle3000
Whitby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2011

just eaten here as a birthday treat. the food was excellent on the whole. 2 of us had halibut - delicious. i'm a veggie and wanted a hot starter, but not soup. there were plenty on the lunch menu, but I couldn't have these. opted for the soup, which was lovely, if luke-warm. actually we all enjoyed the food, but agreed we probably wouldn't go again as the room was chilly - an unheated conservatory at the end of october. no candles glowing, no crisp table cloths (good napkins), but come on for £45 each, we've paid for atmosphere.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank chalkielund
Barnsley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2011

I was staying in Lincoln for the night for a friend's wedding, sharing a twin room (£60) at The Old Bakery with a friend.
I had previously contacted the hotel to find out about parking as I am aware there are parking restrcitions in the area. I hadn't brought enough change for the carpark at the end of the street (very close) so had to move my car (which was actually helpful getting to the ceremony and back up the hill to the reception) I was then able to park outside the hotel for free until the next morning.
The twin room was nicely homely and very comfortable. It was a seperate bathroom but that was directly across from our room and I never saw anyone else in it (I'm not sure how many rooms there were or how many other rooms there were).
The only criticism I would have would be when the shop / restaurant is closed then you have to access the hotel from a back road, through a gate with a security code. It seemed a bit lonley down there (although there were peoples houses down the road it still felt quite lonely).
I only met one member of staff, a man who I assume was the owner. He was a lovely man and was very welcoming. I wished I'd eaten at the hotel and experienced more of what it had to offer and I am sure would have given The Old Bakery a better rating.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends