The Old Bakery
Orbitz.com
US$ 85
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
Premier Inn Lincoln (Canwick) Hotel(Canwick)(Great Value!)
US$ 85
PremierInn.com
All reviewstaster menurestaurant with roomsgift voucherchristmas presentwonderful mealattic roomovernight parkingan evening mealhomemade biscuitsfew minutes walk awaysunday lunchthoroughly enjoyed our staywell worth a visitlincoln castlecooked to perfectionnight staythe location is perfect
Reviewed 27 November 2011

We have been to the old bakery several times a year for the last six years or so. We would always recommend, and thoroughly enjoyed a very varied menu. We are nor sure what has happened, we ate there yesterday with some of our family expecting the usual good service and menu. It was a very pretentious menu, not much choice, not great quality, very underwhelming, very over priced. we would not recommend again, indeed on last nights meal we have cancelled out New years eve booking. The wine list has changed a lot and drinks were very expensive. Service was very slow. This is truly a great shame. What has happened. Is there a new chef? Has the owner given up?

Room Tip: Didn't stay so can't recommend
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank dawnsmith106
Reviewed 8 November 2011

We have been for Sunday lunch twice in the last 2 months and both times i have found my dining eperience enjoyable.

The atmosphere has been relaxed and the restaurant appeared to have stagged bookings well so that there was not big delays, but rather appropriate pauses between courses.

The menu is set with around 5 dishes to choose from for each course. The food tasted fresh and well made, particularly the fish i had for my main course on my first visit. I would say that when i had the roast lamb on my second visit, it was beautifully cooked but i found the gravy to be a little salty for my taste.

The desserts are beautiful if you can manage one particularly the pannacotta. They also have a little deli so that food can be bought to take home.

My only 2 gripes are that drinks are quite expensive against the price of the food and also i disliked my yorkshire pudding. I have yet to find a restaurant that can make decent yorkshires when serving mass numbers, but none will ever taste as good as my dads!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank belle3000
Reviewed 29 October 2011

just eaten here as a birthday treat. the food was excellent on the whole. 2 of us had halibut - delicious. i'm a veggie and wanted a hot starter, but not soup. there were plenty on the lunch menu, but I couldn't have these. opted for the soup, which was lovely, if luke-warm. actually we all enjoyed the food, but agreed we probably wouldn't go again as the room was chilly - an unheated conservatory at the end of october. no candles glowing, no crisp table cloths (good napkins), but come on for £45 each, we've paid for atmosphere.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank chalkielund
Reviewed 25 October 2011

I was staying in Lincoln for the night for a friend's wedding, sharing a twin room (£60) at The Old Bakery with a friend.
I had previously contacted the hotel to find out about parking as I am aware there are parking restrcitions in the area. I hadn't brought enough change for the carpark at the end of the street (very close) so had to move my car (which was actually helpful getting to the ceremony and back up the hill to the reception) I was then able to park outside the hotel for free until the next morning.
The twin room was nicely homely and very comfortable. It was a seperate bathroom but that was directly across from our room and I never saw anyone else in it (I'm not sure how many rooms there were or how many other rooms there were).
The only criticism I would have would be when the shop / restaurant is closed then you have to access the hotel from a back road, through a gate with a security code. It seemed a bit lonley down there (although there were peoples houses down the road it still felt quite lonely).
I only met one member of staff, a man who I assume was the owner. He was a lovely man and was very welcoming. I wished I'd eaten at the hotel and experienced more of what it had to offer and I am sure would have given The Old Bakery a better rating.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank lovemyfoodbarnsley
Reviewed 27 September 2011

I ate here with a friend after deciding to go to Lincoln and having investigated where to eat. I am a bistro rather than posh restaurant man but enjoy excellent food with a good ambiance and service.

We had the set menu, we agreed with the waitress that we could have a a single cheese rather than desert, and so paid £16.50 each for a 3 course set menu. I had puy lentils with feta cheese and a superb dressing and my friend fritters with truffle oil as starters, we both had brisket as the main course and then cheese, me Lincolnshire Poacher and he a local blue.

The service was very pleasant with an informed and helpful waitress both about the food and wine, and when I said I would like to thank the chef for the first star quality of his starter he brought out the main course (they were not busy or I would not have asked).

We both very much enjoyed our starters, generous in quantity and superb in quality. The brisket, one of my favorite cuts, was both pink and very tender but unlike "fillet" had real flavour. We had fondant potatoe and "braised carrots" and fresh peas to accompany.The gravy or in restaurant speak "jus" was entirely authentic, we had to ask for extra bread (no charge) to mop up the juices.

We both opted for "cheese" not on the set menu but charged accordingly, excellent, fresh, local, well looked after with nuts, grapes and biscuits.

My friend was driving so I had most of our bottle of chardonnay (lunchtime so not red), an additional bottle of water and a glass of red and a coffee.

£60 very well spent on first class food service and the whole experience of very well executed dining experience where the customer comes first.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends