“Superbly located lovely hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Big Blue Hotel

The Big Blue Hotel
Ranked #7 of 72 Hotels in Blackpool
Sunbury-On-Thames, United Kingdom
“Superbly located lovely hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

I just got back from a 1-night stay at the Big Blue Hotel which was arranged by work. I'm used to being booked into chain hotels and was at first a little concerned about staying in an independent one (particularly one that was such an unusual colour). I needn't have worried!

The hotel is practically under the 'Big One' rollercoaster and is excellently located for the Pleasure Beach. It is quite clear from the moment you walk into the hotel why the price tag might be a little higher than other hotels in the area: the reception area is very bright, modern and clean.

The receptionist who checked me in was very friendly and made sure that I had details of how to access the wifi available throughout the hotel. I was surprised that this was completely free of charge, just like the car parking, being used to paying a considerable amount for these facilities in other hotels. She made me feel really welcome, and I was soon on my way up to my room.

I had arranged to meet family for dinner, but when I got to my room I almost wished I hadn't as I just wanted to stay in it! The room was incredibly spacious and tastefully designed, I had a seating area and lots of room despite the fact that it also included a superking-sized bed, a first for me in a UK hotel. The room also had both air-conditioning and heating, and you can control the temperature yourself.

As this was just a flying visit I didn't get a chance to try out any of the facilities, but did have a very pleasant breakfast. As there were so few guests the hot buffet was not open, but I was able to choose the hot breakfast I wanted and this was brought to my table. There was also a wide selection of pastries, cereals and other morning goods.

Checking out was as efficient affair as checking in and I was all too soon on my way out of the hotel. I didn't have any strong feelings about Blackpool prior to staying at the Big Blue Hotel, but my experience has made me want to go back and stay there for longer. As my stay was at the start of May, Blackpool itself was like a ghost town, but if you want a genuine contemporary hotel in a fantastic central location (with what appears to be a VIP back entrance into the Pleasure Beach when it's open) then you really can't go wrong.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a view of the Pleasure Beach, so worth mentioning if you'd like this (or not!)
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Andy C
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (634)
  • Arabic first
Barnsley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

Stayed here with my boyfriend for 1 night and paid for pleasure beach tickets included. The room was very big and very modern and clean, bathroom spotless and breakfast all you can eat! I would stay here again

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hollie S
dunfermline,fife
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

nice clean modern hotel with extensive buffet breakfast,but beware if you fancy a drink in the bar a glass of wine costs £6.50,Location next to pleasure beach was perfect but a bit of a trail if you want to go to the town centre.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank eckmcg
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

We stayed over night at the Blue Hotel on the recommendation of a friend. We were not disappointed. The hotel offer free parking and it's location was very central (next door to the Pleasure Beach). The family room that we had was perfect, clean, modern and had everything we wanted.

The staff was friendly &helpful. We ate evening dinner @the hotel and it was delicious. The children's menu was very reasonable and had a lot of choice.

Wifi is free and breakfast the next morning was lovely too. It's self service but the choices were extensive.

We had left an item in our room, which we only realise when we got home. One call to the hotel the item was returned next day in the post. Can't ask for a better service.

Next time we are in Blackpool we will certainly stay at The Blue Hotel again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank keithandsau
Cumbria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012 via mobile

Easily the best hotel in Blackpool, a little pricey but no other hotel in Blackpool compares, breakfast brilliant, got free room upgrade on Easter weekend stay. Staff extremely polite, my son loved the bears dishing out cream eggs on Easter Sunday. We will be back in October for the illuminations, my son loves it. If in doubt book!!!!!!! U Wong be disappointed

• Stayed April 2012