“Exemplary Service”

Price range: US$ 51 - US$ 92
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We had a very enjoyable meal here while staying at the Lakeside Hotel. The food was good and the service exemplary. Only gripe was the children’s food was very salty. However we mentioned it and they took the course off the bill.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I had mixed feelings about our dining experience. We paid 29 pound for 2 courses but in honesty we have paid far less and better at other restaurants. The dining area is very stylish and staff pleasant. My wife had fish cakes which she liked but her main of chicken was excellent. So moist and tasty. I had a cheese souffle for starter which was ok but lacked something in my opinion. For main I had pressed lamb which was slightly overcooked for my liking on a bed of a small amount of potato served with mixed beans. It was very nicely presented but wished I had picked something different. Drinks in my view are way over priced with wine about 10 pounds per glass.

1  Thank IAN O
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Mixed feelings about our experience. Some points excellent, others not so. Not sure what to make of the brasserie itself really, ok decor, pleasant staff. Lacked much atmosphere. It seemed largely empty, and in view of this fact it would have been nice to have been seated with more space & privacy around the restaurant rather than all together. We’ve enjoyed better dining surroundings. Thankfully, the food was absolutely delicious, especially the main courses (the fillet steak and the seabass dishes). As an overall experience we felt it was probably a little over-priced for what it was.

Reviewed 28 January 2018

We came here on Friday night during a two night stay in the lakes. I had wanted to dine here for some time. My wife made the booking, and decided on dinning in the Brasserie. She asked for a cosy table for two. When we arrived we were seated at the least cosy table in the nearly empty brasserie. In hindsight we should have asked to move, but my wife did not want to make a scene. I could see what the owners were trying to achieve with the brasserie, but the decor finishing was poor, with screw holes in some of the wood, a bad paint job and unity carpentry. The food was ok. We shared a fish platter, and both decided to have the 'famous' fish and chips which was so greasy, my wife felt ill for the next 24 hours. I was bunged up with a cold and asked for a hot toddy. I was brought a measure of whisky and some hot water. Where was the sugar/honey and the lemon? My wife did decide to say something at the end of the night but only received a small apology. The food and drinks were very expensive for the quality. I don't mind paying for a good meal but this was far from it, and nearly cost £100 for 2. After the meal went into the conservatory for a drink while we waited for our taxi. I ordered a glass of wine for her and gave the waiter £10, I never saw any change from this. We should have saved ourselves a taxi ride and dined at the Whitewater hotel where we were stopping, the staff there were very attentive and the food is definitely on a par but half the price (a separate review). I will not be returning, even for a pint while passing in the future

2  Thank Sim0nH8371
Reviewed 22 January 2018

Having stayed at this hotel and eaten there on several occasions, the service and food has really gone down hill.
The last experience of dining there 20/1/2018.
Although my companion enjoyed his meal, my coq au vin was over salted (perhaps in compensation for it's lack of flavour. Although, our table was booked for eight pm we were not seated until after half past, this was despite arriving half an hour early and speaking to two different waiters about the delay. Finally, i had to speak to the head waiter to be seated. The restaurant was not busy, many empty tables, there were too many waiters, walking around not doing anything, there was no team work, no effective customer care. It is absurd to be faffing around sweeping non-existent crumbs from the table when the structure of service has fallen apart. The food is not what it used to be and is no longer worth the money.

1  Thank 524alison