“Great Food, Amateur Service”
Review of Holbeck Ghyll

Holbeck Ghyll
Reserve with OpenTable
Holbeck Ghyll is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 79 Restaurants in Windermere
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 21 October 2017

This restaurant lost it's Michelin star but not because of the food which is excellent. I'm not sure if there is not enough staff or it's just that they are poorly trained. The Sommelier seems to hate his job and is loath to perform it although the wine list is quite good. Be prepared for a long meal.

1  Thank waldshut

Reviewed 18 October 2017

Went here for a celebratory meal with my wife, the location and views over Windermere from the hotel and dining room are stunning, one issue to bear in mind is parking within easy distance is limited, we were lucky and found a place to park but had the weather been poor the overflow carpark is quite some distance away. The staff were friendly and informative and generally the food was very good, the desserts and cheese course was exceptional.
One minor issue was that we were offered a complementary starter of oyster and cucumber which neither of us like but no alternative was offered!! just a small point but other diners were given an alternative.We would definitely go again and may stay in one of the on-site cottages.

1  Thank Roger B
Reviewed 16 October 2017

We stayed for a couple of nights and decided to splash out on a meal in the hotel. They do have a vegetarian menu which was fabulous. We had the broth which was so tasty. My husband had the beef and I had a cabbage/mushroom dish which was full of flavour. The chocolate sweet was to die for! I have only given 4 stars us we felt the waiter was disappointed we didn't order a bottle of wine so we had to remind them that we ordered two glasses of wine. Oor water glasses were also not topped up but the dining experience as a whole was really nice so really glad we booked here.
The breakfast is lovely. There is a starter buffet with cereals and fresh fruit. The hot meals are made to order with a great choice. The only slight criticism was on the second day there was no music in the dining room which I believe makes the experience better as you become aware of other people's conversations. However it is a lovely dining area which I prefer to their newly decorated bar.

1  Thank andyewie
Reviewed 12 October 2017

Celebrating with the family at another time, my wife and I shared a leisurely and most enjoyable tea in a romantic setting overlooking the lake which became clearer as the weather brightened over the afternoon. We were greeted on arrival and shown to our table in a business-like manner by a gentleman who appeared to have other things on his mind. Our waiter, the restaurant manager, was truly excellent being both professional and friendly.
The food, sandwiches, scones and cakes were all delicious and the ambience excellent. . It was also a nostalgic occasion for me. I had been a boyhood friend of David Nicholson, who with his wife, Patricia, owned and ran Holbeck Ghyll for over 22 years, taking the hotel from humble origins to one of the highest rated hotels in the country. We were at their wedding in September 1978. I knew Holbeck Gyll had been his pride and joy. It was good to rekindle thoughts of those early days after 40 years!

1  Thank Ted S
Reviewed 10 October 2017 via mobile

We had a very pleasant dinner to celebrate a friend's birthday. We could of had the degustation menu but chose to have the 3 course. The portions were not huge but by the end no-one wanted anymore. Good selection of wines at a reasonable price.