“Great for veggies too”

Ranked #28 of 77 Restaurants in Windermere
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 16 October 2017

We stayed for a couple of nights and decided to splash out on a meal in the hotel. They do have a vegetarian menu which was fabulous. We had the broth which was so tasty. My husband had the beef and I had a cabbage/mushroom dish which was full of flavour. The chocolate sweet was to die for! I have only given 4 stars us we felt the waiter was disappointed we didn't order a bottle of wine so we had to remind them that we ordered two glasses of wine. Oor water glasses were also not topped up but the dining experience as a whole was really nice so really glad we booked here.
The breakfast is lovely. There is a starter buffet with cereals and fresh fruit. The hot meals are made to order with a great choice. The only slight criticism was on the second day there was no music in the dining room which I believe makes the experience better as you become aware of other people's conversations. However it is a lovely dining area which I prefer to their newly decorated bar.

1  Thank andyewie

Reviewed 12 October 2017

Celebrating with the family at another time, my wife and I shared a leisurely and most enjoyable tea in a romantic setting overlooking the lake which became clearer as the weather brightened over the afternoon. We were greeted on arrival and shown to our table in a business-like manner by a gentleman who appeared to have other things on his mind. Our waiter, the restaurant manager, was truly excellent being both professional and friendly.
The food, sandwiches, scones and cakes were all delicious and the ambience excellent. . It was also a nostalgic occasion for me. I had been a boyhood friend of David Nicholson, who with his wife, Patricia, owned and ran Holbeck Ghyll for over 22 years, taking the hotel from humble origins to one of the highest rated hotels in the country. We were at their wedding in September 1978. I knew Holbeck Gyll had been his pride and joy. It was good to rekindle thoughts of those early days after 40 years!

1  Thank Ted S
Reviewed 10 October 2017 via mobile

We had a very pleasant dinner to celebrate a friend's birthday. We could of had the degustation menu but chose to have the 3 course. The portions were not huge but by the end no-one wanted anymore. Good selection of wines at a reasonable price.

Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

Stayed at Holbeck Ghyll last week, everything from the service, to the room, to the food, was absolutely superb.

Thanks to all the staff for making my wife's birthday a very special time.

Can't recommend the hotel and restaurant enough.

1  Thank Tom R
Reviewed 11 September 2017

A delicious and atmospheric meal in a gorgeous, cosy dining room with a great wine was the perfect end to a big trip across from the Southern Hemisphere via Europe and Manchester.