All reviews lake district on arrival king size room guest house box of chocolates warm welcome train station breakfast was excellent pubs and restaurants minute walk a lovely place to stay busy road eggs benedict tea and coffee making facilities stayed for nights short break would stay again
Reviewed 26 June 2018

This hotel is personally run by a considerate owner and helpful well mannered staff. My room with large shower room was exactly as expected (just great and as seen on the internet when I booked). The breakfasts were superb and served in a lovely conservatory. What a wonderful way to commence each day. Staying here was the icing on the cake of a really good 5 day break in the wonderful Lake District.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
TheRavensworth, Owner at The Ravensworth, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2018

Roger it was a pleasure having you stay with us last week and we are delighted that you enjoyed your break. We look forard to seeing you next time you venture up north.

Reviewed 20 June 2018

I stayed with 3 friends in two rooms at this guesthouse. The guesthouse is situated in an excellent position for those wanting easy access to buses and trains. There are some very good restaurants within easy walking distance and there was ample parking attached to the property. Though on a main road, I found the room to be quiet with very little road noise and no noise from room to room.
Staff within the guesthouse were courteous, friendly and helpful.
The room I stayed in was of a reasonable size and was clean. The bed was very comfortable and both myself and my friend slept well throughout our stay.
It is possible to have breakfast included and we chose this option. The guesthouse caters for people wanting either a continental or cooked breakfast but does not provide a 'Full English Breakfast'. Though we were disappointed that there was not the option of having a Full English Breakfast, the breakfast which we had was both adequate and tasty.
The downside of the guesthouse was that both my friend and I felt that our room could do with a facelift. The bathroom in particular looked very tired and in need of refurbishment. We both felt disappointed by the room on arrival as it did not look as well decorated/furnished as those advertised on The Ravensworth's website.
Given that the room looked tired and in need of refurbishment we both felt that the room was over priced, though to be fair neither of us have stayed in a guesthouse in Windermere before so have nothing to compare it with.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank JudithL-Countrygirl

Thank you for these comments, whilst we are delighted that you seemed happy with your stay, it is a shame that you felt that not everything was as per your expectations. I am slightly confused when you say that the room didn't look like the ones on the website, when your room is on the website so I'm not sure why you felt differently. Let's hope this didn't spoil your stay and hopefully we will see you all next time you are in the Lakes.

Reviewed 12 June 2018 via mobile

There are lots of good things about this accommodation. It's in a great position just minutes walk from the shops, pubs and restaurants. It's well kept and is very clean. Also the breakfast was really nice and served in a pleasant conservatory.

Nick checked us in and is a good host, very friendly.

The main issue was our room (number 5). It's next to the main road and the traffic is very noisy. Closing the windows helps but on a warm night you really need the air in the room.

Our main gripe was the bed. You could feel the springs digging into you. If you look at the picture those 'ribs' are the steel springs. My wife slept on top of the quilt as they were so uncomfortable. We both had a very poor night's sleep. I stay away regularly on business (over 50 nights per year) and this was the worst bed I've encountered. Of course we would have brought up the problem earlier but we didn't discover it until we retired for sleep. We informed Nick the next morning and he says he'll look into it. He was apologetic but there was no reduction in the bill which was disappointing. This was a major problem for us. The room wasn't cheap and you don't expect to be unable to sleep because of a poor bed. It's also something that the owners need to keep on top of and check.

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
TheRavensworth, Owner at The Ravensworth, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2018

Thank you for your review. It is a real shame that you had an issue with the bed, I know this won't rectify the problem for yourselves but a new mattress has been ordered and is due this week. As you correctly mentioned, you were only with us for the one night so it wasn't something we could address until you informed us the morning after. As for the reduction in cost, it was never mentioned but I will happily refund part of the payment from your room back onto your card for you.

Regarding the cost of the room, you did book via an on-line agency which quite often means it is not necessarily the cheapest option.

We hope that you will still consider staying with us next time you are in the Lakes.

Reviewed 11 June 2018

Room very comfortable all needs met nick was very informative as local event was on last weekend so to expect a slight delay on road. Hotel is in a great location to explore the lakes. Will definitely come again .Dave and Cathy.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed 10 June 2018

Rooms were clean, fresh bottle water was provided and owner Nick was always around to assist. Internet was very reliable and bathrooms nice which also provided nice reliable hot water.My only complaint was my bed was too soft/ uneven and it would appear to need replacing. I have no problem recommending this hotel but its a bit on the pricey side to compare with hotels like Brathay Lodge with its superior accommodations.

Room tip: 5 mins walk from the Windemere train station and 7 mins walk to town centre
Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business

Thank you for your comments. Beds are a very difficult aspect of our business and the mattress on the one in your room was new 8 months ago. You did book a King Room for single occupancy through an online agency which may be why you thought the costs were high. For future guests, this is the first time we have been described as a boutique hotel, firstly, we are not 'boutique', this implies a certain quirkiness to some visitors and we are not a hotel, we are a guesthouse, hotels offer evening meals and 24 hour reception, which we do not, please take this into consideration if you are planning to stay with us.