All reviewscream teadrawing roombeautiful hotelwedding venueroaring log firebridal suitewedding breakfastsconeslake viewafternoon teaevening meallake districtsister hotelreception areaspecial thanksfour poster bedan overnight stay
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Lovely welcome , Joyce and Stephanie were very helpful and informative. Really good staff and customer service all round. Liked the atmosphere and views from the lounges . Had a nice room with four poster , room 1 . Lunch was very good , did not have dinner so can’t comment on that. Would definitely recommend this hotel and we will be returning .

Room Tip: Everything was great
Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
merewoodhotel, Manager at Merewood Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2018

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and specifically comment on our team. Here at the Merewood we are more than happy to go the extra mile for our guests, as we want you to feel as though you are in a home away from home.

I am sorry that you didn't join us for dinner. Head Chef, Carl Semple has developed two different menus, which we believe offer something for everyone. Whether that be our 7 course taster menu in the Arboreal Restaurant or the Merewood Grill, which offers a more familiar style of food, we believe it is well worth staying in and enjoying our food rather than venturing out in the busy Lakeland Villages, were booking a table can be difficult.

Thank you once again for your review and hopefully we can welcome you back to the Merewood in the future.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Our daughter and son in law got married at Merewood over two days in November and the entire experience was beautiful. The hotel is lovely, the staff are great, Helen is fantastic and the food is absolutely gorgeous. We couldn't fault it and could not have wished for a more wonderful location for such a special occasion. My memories of the time are magical. It is a lovely place.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
LDCHManager, Manager at Merewood Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2018

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted that the wedding was such a success. We believe the Merewood is an ideal location for a wedding. When our Bride and Groom's book a wedding at the Merewood, we close off the hotel to the rest of the public, so that Bridal parties can really unwind and feel as though they are in a home from home and our team can give them the attention they deserve.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the food. Our Head Chef, Carl Semple is adamant that it doesn't matter if your group size is 2 or 102, he and his team deliver the same high standards of food.

Thank you once again for your kind words and hopefully we can welcome you back to the Merewood in the future.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

We stayed here at the end of January for my dads 60th birthday with both my parents and my boyfriend. I had chosen this place as it’s dog friendly. I had checked before booking that we can eat somewhere with the dogs as we don’t like leaving them in the room, I was advised we could eat in the bar with them and that was absolutely fine!
The setting and grounds of this hotel are STUNNING. When we checked in we just chose a key each and went to our rooms and unpacked assuming they were both the same standard. But in-fact one was EXTREMELY nicer than the other by a clear mile! which I was a little embarrassed about as I wanted to treat my dad to nice room and I’d ended up getting the nicer one, so it would have been nice to have been aware of this.
The nice room had an incredible view of the lake and was very clean, comfy and warm, I can’t knock it.
However my parents (in room 1) were awakened at the 5am by loud noises which they assumed was cleaners which lasted for a while!
When we went down for dinner, we knew we had to eat in the bar area. However we weren’t aware that this would be set out on the low shin high tables. So we had to eat our entire meal with our knees touching our ears, which isn’t too flattering when your an 5 ft 9 woman with a dress on! If they had previously told us we could only eat in the bar area with the dogs, but also only eat comfortably if we were all under 4ft high then I might have reconsidered!
The last hiccup was the bar wasn’t well stocked at all. As previously mentioned it was my dads 60th, so we were having a few scoops! Every time we ordered something off the drinks menu they didn’t have it! Even down to having no black pepper or Tabasco even in the kitchen for a Bloody Mary?! I felt like saying, dya want me to just nip to Tesco’s for ya?!!
But I’ve got to say the bar man was incredible, can’t sing his praises enough! He dealt with the distinct lack of everything very professionally.
The food in the bar was just ok at best.
Over all it was a good stay, we just made a joke of the hiccups. all the staff very nice! I think this place just needs a few tweeks for the price, as I did feel a little ripped off because of the easily avoided fails.
Breakfast was delicious (set out on a slightly higher knee high table so no back ache after this meal )

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor.

I am sorry to read about the 'hiccups' that you encountered. First;y, yes, we are most welcoming of dogs in the Merewwood as we understand that they are a part of the family. As not fully explained in your review, we do set a large table for you in the lounges at breakfast time and our guests are usually delighted about this. When you ordered your food in the bar, had you have mentioned that the height of the tables was a concern, we would have happily set a table in one of the lounges for you alternatively.

Your comment about the bedroom doesn't tell a clear story and i am sorry to say is quite misleading and inappropriately damning to anyone reading this review. Room 1, the room which you suggest isn't a good standard, is a good sized room, with an extra sitting area, four poster bed, Smart TV, Nespresso machine, views of Lake Windermere, high ceilings as it is part of the original building. We have never received any negativity about this room before, so I strongly believe this comment is most subjective. Furthermore, we advise all of our guests that a virtual tour of every bedroom is available on our website, to alleviate any concerns before arrival.

Regarding the bar stock, i will look in to this further. I apologise for there being no black pepper or tabasco sauce. In truth, Bloody Mary's are very rarely served, so it seems that we weren't prepared for this. Again, the review struggles to highlight the incredible strengths of our bar, that all of our previous reviews allude to. Here at the Merewood, we have over 80 different types of gin, a whisky bible, kraft beers, 80 different wines and a further array of exciting spirits from around the world. All of which, our staff thoroughly enjoy introducing to our guests as they are all trained.

Once again, I am sorry to hear of the hiccups. I feel that some of which are subjective and avoidable and some we will learn from.

Reviewed 22 March 2018

Had three night stay in a back bedroom so no lake view however really enjoyed it. Staff were great, breakfast excellent full of choice. Did not have evening meal but I trust it was to same high standard. Had three evenings in the cosy lounges with log fires and a drink total relaxation

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
LDCHManager, Manager at Merewood Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2018

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to read that you had a great break and specifically comment on our team of staff. Here at the Merewood, we are more than happy to go the extra mile for our guests, as we want you to feel as though you are in a home away from home,

It is a shame that you didn't join us for dinner but i am pleased that you enjoyed breakfast. We believe that there is something for everyone when it comes to dinner at the Merewood. Whether that is a 7 course, fine dining, contemporary style of food in the Arboreal Restaurant, or the more familiar, hearty food in the Grill.

Reviewed 22 March 2018

I was given the stay at Merewood in November 17 as a gift for my 60th from my work colleagues. Despite having to postpone the trip due to my sisters sudden death, the staff could not have been more helpful when I called to explain. When I eventually made the trip with my daughter the staff who greeted us were very friendly and helpful and even though we were in a room in the gods it was a very pleasant stay. The views are outstanding and the building was beautiful.

Room Tip: It was my 60th which was made clear when I booked but having all the steps up to the room made it hard work for my little old legs. Otherwise I had no complaints.
Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor.

We were sorry to hear your news and we were delighted that we still managed to welcome you along for a well earned break.

The views are something that our guests often comment on. We are most fortunate to be located on the side of a hill, giving us unimpeded views of Lake Windermere and the fells beyond.