“Not A Great Experience”

The Glenburn Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Reviewed 26 July 2012

When I was booking a hotel/B&B in the area there were not many available. The Glenburn however, was available, is a little on the expensive side. Reading the reviews on this website made me feel that it was worthwhile to pay the money due to the good reviews from previous guests. I stayed at the hotel with my wife and young child for four nights.

The bedroom was as expected if a little outdated but this did not bother me. What did bother me however was the loud music coming from below the room in the evening, which was the bar/restaurant area on the first night. There are notices around the hotel informing guests to be considerate to the other guests and to keep the noise down after 22:30 including not using the jacuzzi jets of the bath. However, it would appear that the rules did not apply to the staff member on duty that night. I assumed the music would be turned off or down at 22:30 but it was still ongoing at 22:45, so I went down to the bar. The girl on duty had an iPod connected to the speakers of the downstairs area. I asked the girl if she could turn the music down and she was taken aback that I could actually hear it in my room. To her credit she did turn the music down. Upon inspection of the roof of the restaurant it would appear a speaker was directly under my room. On the second night the same thing happened, loud music past 22:30, so again I went down and asked for it to be turned down or off. The same girl from the previous night turned the iPod off. The music thankfully did not occur for the remaining nights, I assume she got the hint!

Now onto breakfast... The first morning we arrived down to discover that the hotel only had one baby highchair, this proved to be a problem however, as another couple also had a young child and were at breakfast before us. We waited in the bar area until the couple had finished their breakfast to enable us to use the highchair. The second morning the same happened only in reverse only my wife and I had literally just arrived before the other couple with a child. The other couple decided they had waited enough after about 30 minutes and brought their child to the table in its buggy. I do not think purchasing a second highchair would break the bank and should be looked into. On the third morning we asked the waitress for the highchair as we couldn't see it in the room, we waited 15 minutes holding the baby and it failed to appear. We had to ask again for it to eventually arrive. On the third morning our order was taken as soon as we had sat down, I had ordered a full English breakfast with a bowl of porridge while my wife ordered smaller English. Our toast arrived with my porridge within 15 minutes, no issues there, however, after 40 minutes of waiting there was no sign of our cooked breakfasts. My wife asked the waitress how long it would be until our order arrived to which we got a blank stare with a what are you talking about look! It turns out our cooked breakfast order was never passed onto the chef, so it was retaken and eventually came 20 minutes later a wait of 1 hour! On the fourth morning I had ordered porridge again with a cooked breakfast. This time however, only the cooked breakfast arrived. I didn't even bother mentioning the missing dish this time as I had plans for the day. Completely unacceptable really and I thought I was being filmed as part of a Jeremy Beadle hidden camera show! The food itself was really nice, we even had dinner in the restaurant on one evening (steak) and it was delightful.

The hotel advertises that it offers satellite television in the rooms but it only has Freeview available and very limited channels even with that. There was a football match on the first evening of our stay which I had planned to watch but this was not possible on the television. Instead I used the hotel Wi-Fi to stream it, however, another problem was that the Wi-Fi signal was only strong enough to use downstairs and not in my room which was annoying.

The final minor issue was that the milk was not replaced in the room when I had used all the cartons; I'm assuming the biscuits when we first arrived were not going to be replaced anyway.

From writing this review and looking at others it would appear you have to be very unlucky to have a bad experience at the hotel as most reviews are positive. I may have been very unlucky with how things turned out but I do believe the hotel has a few improvements to make. It didn't stop my family and I having a great time around the lakes even if the animal park refused our Tesco Day Out vouchers because it was a bank holiday! Perhaps I was having a really unlucky week!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Killultagh
glenglen, Owner at The Glenburn Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2012

8 weeks after the event but I remember the guests very well. As i have mentioned in previous comments we only have availability for one baby in the hotel and it is our family room. I did know on this occasion that the guests were bringing a baby and as a special request they needed to get away for a break and I offered a lovely quiet room beautifully decorated and far from being outdated Room 6. We don't turn the music up loud and the staff don't have ipods with ear phones the music we do have is purely background music ranging from Eva Cassidy to Chris Rea. I was on duty myself on two evenings of the guest's stay until 10.30pm and I watched football with other guests with no complaints. The Hotel is in general a quiet peacfull place to stay and if guests come away to any hotel with young babies, yes there are going to be noises and please don't be offended but i also had another 32 guests who didn't come away to tip toe around in silence. I apologise for the mix up at breakfast you were not unlucky this should not happen.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 26 July 2012

I stayed with my family last week-end and aktough I couln't find any other hotels in the area as they were fully booked, I was very pleased we chose the Glenburn.
As a first timer in the lake district, the hotel is well located between Wndermere an Bowness. Both walkable even with a pram.
The place is surely very clean and the waitresses we met were all very polite and accomodative.
We only had breakfast and the portion was very good.
Unfortunately my wife forgot her handbag and we only foumd out when we got home. Thanksfully they found the bag and it was sent to us immediatly. This was a great gesture and the efficiency of the hotel was second to none.The bag is very important to my wife and it is an expensive one as well!!

We really enjoyed our stay and we'll recommend the hotel to our friends and family.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Simon L
Reviewed 22 July 2012

We have never received such a hostile "welcome" in any of the dozens of countries we have been to as we did at The Glenburn. The owner did not even say hello. Instead she immediately chastised us and launched into a tirade at us for booking room 13 which, apparently, you cannot do when you have a baby.

When we pointed out that we CLEARLY stated in the "special comments" box on the website that our 1 year old was travelling with us (happy to upload the email as proof) she ignored us and told us that there was no cot available and our baby couldn't sleep in the bed with us as "That's how accidents happen". Certainly not the welcome you expect after a 150 mile drive. I think she genuinely expected us to send the baby home or something. After much huffing and puffing and after we threatened to cancel the booking and go elsewhere she eventually found a travel cot. However, when we built it we discovered it was absolutely filthy and I had to scrub it with baby wipes and hand sanitiser to make it even half way to acceptable.

The room was nothing special and for any more than a 2 or 3 night stay would be claustrophobic. The water pressure for the shower was pitiful. The bathroom in general needed a good clean. The hairdrier was a death trap. Iron your clothes before you go as you have to do it in a cupboard not big enough for an ironing board let alone an ironing board and a person. The walls were paper thin and there was lot's of noise from surrounding rooms. There seemed to be a list of rules everywhere you looked and that, coupled with the owners shocking attitude, left you practically scared to breathe !

We were meant to get free passes for the Parklands Leisure club. We didn't and didn't go back to ask for fear of another mouthful.

Breakfast was nice, although portion sizes were a bit meagre.

I cannot comment on the bar or restaurant service as we refused to give them 1 penny more than we had to after the ignorant welcome. Instead we spent our money elsewhere.

The only real plus point was that the staff were really nice and friendly. How they put up with their employer, though, is a mystery.

Lovely area and we will definitely visit that part of the word again but I would rather sleep in the car than go near this place again. As I have already told hundreds of people via Facebook - AVOID !

Room Tip: Avoid, especially if you have children.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank alan2305
glenglen, Owner at The Glenburn Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2012

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that the guests think that I am rude. Astonished and a little astounded perhaps when guests repeatedly book a double room for two people and arrive at reception with children and expect us to allow them to share a bed with their parents.
Perhaps it happens at home but unfortunately not at The Glenburn and it does state this on our website. Both of our travel cots were in use in the family rooms therefore we had to borrow a cot from elsewhere as the guests didn't have one. The photographs kindly displayed are from a storage cupboard where we keep the ironing boards old hairdryers and sewing kits etc. We do not expect people to go into the cupboard to do their ironing it is a facility which is used in the rooms. I can assure guests that all of our electrical equipment has been serviced and tested and up to date with a certificate for guests to see. We do have a polite notice in the rooms asking guests to avoid using the spa baths between 10.30 pm and 7.30 am. in consideration for other guests because of the noise these baths make. Some of my staff have been with me for nearly 4 years so I think the mystery has been solved. This room is a lovely spacious room very clean and if guests read the other comments cleanliness in the hotel has top marks. I asked the guests on several occasions if everything was ok and they assured me it was. A little sour grapes I think.

Reviewed 16 July 2012

We were not expecting anything special as it was a last minute booking when there was limited hotels to choose from. Room was small but clean with a nice comortable bed. Bathroom was a bit small too and the "spa bath" was basically a very small bath with a couple of holes in it but we only stayed one night so wasn't particulary bothered. Breakfast was good, staff really friendly and helpful. Overall a pleasant nights stay and not too far from Bowness - we walked in 10 minutes and stopped at a couple of bars on the way down, there is a bus stop outside should you need it. Usually spend around £100 on a room in this area of the the lakes and this was definately one of the better ones for the money.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front next to the roadside can be noisy with all the passing traffic.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michelle777209940
Reviewed 14 July 2012

Had a very pleasant stay at this hotel. The room was very comfortable and the restaurant food was delicious.

Room Tip: Book early as the Lakes District is very popular in summer. I was traveling from town to town &...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo