The Howbeck
US$ 196
US$ 171
Agoda.com
  • Pool
The Windermere Hotel(Windermere)(Great Value!)
US$ 87
US$ 151
Agoda.com
US$ 187
Official Site
All reviewsspa bathretreat suitemeregill roomfairy lightson arrivalrose petalsromantic packagemy partnerdecanter of sherryfour poster bedthrough secret escapesguest houseluxury roombreakfast was deliciouslovely hotelour honeymooneggs benedict
Reviewed 27 May 2012

We had a great stay at the Howbeck. Locate between windermere and Bowness. The hotel was so clean and the welcome fantastic. Nothing was a problem to the staff with a good welcome and explanation of location and available facilities. We did not visit the spa but it looked good. Would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2012
maggie1983, Manager at The Howbeck, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2012

Dear guests, what a wonderful review! Thank you from all of the team at The Howbeck for sharing such lovely views and fabulous ratings. To receive full marks in all categories makes us very proud, and makes all the hard work our team put in seem very worth while. It's great to know how much you enjoyed yourselves and we hope to welcome you back soon. Warmest regards.

Reviewed 25 May 2012

We stayed for one night after booking with secret escapes and I complained to them when I arrived home as we had booked for two nights but because of my husbands change of work commitments we could only stay the one night and the terms and conditions stated" 100% non refundable and no date changes are possible once the booking has been made" only to be told that these are the Howbecks conditions and when I mentioned to two different members of staff that my husbands work commitment was the reason we were leaving early, on attempt to see if they could perhaps offer me another date as long as I added an extra day or something of that nature, they just seemed relieved that it was nothing to do with any particular service I had received from them during my stay. Therefore this was the MOST EXPENSIVE night I have ever had. The room was clean and well presented but the ensuite was tiny and try and make a cup of tea you have to plug the mini kettle in an extension that runs behind the wardrobe (Lingmell Room). I also felt that what was supposedly a romantic touch of fairy lights hanging off the bedhead spolit the otherwise lovely decor of the room.

1  Thank Annette J

Dear guests, we would like to thank you for your feedback following your break away with us last week. To receive 4s and 5s out of 5 is great to see, and your comments regarding the cleanliness and presentation are highly appreciated.
I would like to take this opportunity to address the other points that you raise, as I do in fact believe they do not clearly represent that value that guests actually receive when staying with us, and adhering to booking conditions. Yes, it is made clear in our conditions that amendments cannot be made once a booking has been made, however if we are informed of changes in advance (7 days+), we are often able to come to a suitable agreement with the guest (this may be to exchange a night for another date).
You only made us aware of the fact you could not stay for both nights once you were here with us. This clearly does not provide us with enough time to re-sell the room, and it is often the case (especially at this busy time of year), that other potential bookings were rejected due to the lack of availability whilst you were booked in with us. I believe that almost all hotels/ guesthouses adhere to similar cancellation policies.
Whilst we try to offer a flexible approach with regards to our booking conditions to maintain excellent customer service, the notice you provided us with was not sufficient.
With regards to the fairy lights, whilst we are sorry you did not enjoy these, many guests (as can been read in reviews) enjoy the romantic ambience that the lights help to create. This we feel is simply a matter of personal taste - they can quite simply be removed from the bed.
With regards to the en-suite, this room is advertised as having a walk in shower only ,which suggests it is smaller than other bathrooms, whilst many of our other rooms have large jacuzzi baths. It is a very modern bathroom with all the required facilities, and whilst it may be smaller than other bathrooms, we believe it is more than adequate in size.
Thank you again for sharing your comments and if we can be of any further service, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Reviewed 21 May 2012

Stayed here for our 10th Wedding Anniversary for 2 nights, although we had a very pleasant time I feel this hotel/B&B is highly over priced and by no means a 5*.
We stayed in Capelcrag which turned out to be a very small room with poor light. I found it dull to say the least, there were floor tiles in the bathroom cracked and the shower screen had mildew on the bottom!!! Under our bed we found sweet wrappers and rose petals suggesting the room had not been thoroughly cleaned and the throw on top of the bed had red stains on it!
We didnt mention these problems to the staff for several reasons, we were on a relaxtion break so the last thing we wanted was arguments & stress and secondly reading the reviews on here the staff seem very defensive.
Breakfast was average, wasnt overly hot and mushrooms tasted like they had been fried in dirty fat!
Overall a pleasant weekend for us but would not stay here again!
Oh and one final point if you are thinking of booking here do not pay extra for fairy lights, only a few of the lights worked and made the bed look cheap. By no means pretty.

Room Tip: Capelcrag is very dark & small
1  Thank VanessaEv
maggie1983, Manager at The Howbeck, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2012

Many thanks for your review,
We do welcome all reviews, both critical ones & good ones! I am sorry you did not feel we offered you 5 star accommodation and service, as you will know we do not rate ourselves, this is done by independent associations annually and we have just been re awarded not only a 5 star AA rating but highly acclaimed, plus a breakfast award. We do strive to exceed peoples expectations, i am sorry you thought we were overpriced, of course guests will always get the lowest rates booking directly with ourselves and not through third party booking agents who's commissions run at over 20%.

However the claims you make do concern me and i have already spoken to my management and staff on duty during your stay about each one, it is a pitty you did not mention any issues during your stay, in fact my staff asked you if everything was ok, and again on check out as you did not seem to be enjoying yourselves, your reply was yes everything is ok thank you.

I can assure you, and everyone who is reading this my staff are trained to the highest standards of hospitality, they are certainly not defencive in their work, i think what you are referring to as defencive are our management replies on tripadvisor reviews, we have a right to reply and correct inaccuracies in peoples miss-leading reviews on tripadviser, and we do take all reviews seriously, we do investigate complaints and act to rectify problems which do occur from time to time.

In looking at your review i can assure you that any valid issues have been dealt with, such as the fairy lights, we did find that two our our stock light sets have bulbs not working and these have been replaced, however i would like to say that some of the issues you mention are not valid & therefore we cannot deal with those.

Thank you for choosing to stay with ourselves and if you would like to discuss any of the above directly with me please do not hesitate to call, i would like the opportunity to talk to you personally & hopefully resolve things as best we can after the event.

Reviewed 20 May 2012

A wonderful B &B, think boutique!. We had a lovely room, superking bed and nice, though small en-suite. Nothing was too much trouble for breakfast, with plenty of selection. The staff were excellent, nothing was too much trouble.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear guests, having read your review, we would like to thank you for your kind comments and terrific scores - 5/5 all round, what more could we ask for. We are extremely pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we hope you will find the opportunity to come and stay with us again sometime soon. Warmest regards from all of the team.

Reviewed 19 May 2012

Nice place to stay. Nothing really amazing, but it was very clean and had parking! Close to downtown as well. Please note, they don't not allow food or drinks in their room and the breakfast is not that great... stick with the cold breakfast, I had to send my hot one back twice.. I would stay again for a night or two!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear guests, thank you for taking the time to share your review on Tripadvisor, we sincerely value your feedback. It's great to know you class us as 'a nice place to stay' and that you would stay with us again in the future.
With regards to the breakfast, we are extremely sorry that you were not satisfied with your hot breakfast, we do have an AA breakfast award, so are extremely disappointed to read that it was not quite up to scratch. I have discussed this issue with the kitchen staff, and can ensure future guests that breakfasts will prove to be of an award winning standard.
I would just like to address a small comment that you make; It is true that we generally do not allow guests to eat meals in the rooms - we have had significant damage caused buy people bringing in food from off site/ or eating breakfasts in the rooms. We do not have a problem with guests bringing in small snacks/ or taking fruit up for breakfast, and in some circumstances other food may be allowed (e.g if suffering from illness) but this is at managements discretion. We are however happy for guests to eat their own food in our restaurant area at night should they wish.
We do in fact allow guests to have drinks in their rooms. We in fact offer a full drinks service (some drinks subject to availability), which can be enjoyed in our lounge/bar area, or in the privacy of your own room.
Once again, thank you for your review, and we hope to welcome you back soon. Remember to quote that you are a returning guest!