“Very good stay but Andy, owner was very hospitable”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Lakes Lodge

and 1 more site!
Lakes Lodge
Ranked #102 of 111 Windermere B&B and Inns
USA
“Very good stay but Andy, owner was very hospitable”
Reviewed 12 November 2011

Hotel was good value for money, good stay very centrally located .But Andy the Hotel owner was a wonedrful person, went out of his way to hyelp us get our travel arrangements done...very friendly, chatty and informative, very good breakfast...

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 October 2011

My partner booked a night at the Lakes Lodge for my birthday. We found the hotel to be very run down and outdated, with a strong musty smell throughout. The hotel reminded me of a retirement home due to the decor and furniture. I had been hoping the musty smell was in the reception and communal areas only, but unfortunately our room was also quite wiffy. My partner and I tried to persevere, but after deliberating for an hour in our room as to what to do, we decided to leave. We felt there would be no point in being asked to be moved to another room as we were sure the other rooms would have just the same, given the communal areas were just as bad as our room.

We contacted the booking company to ask for a refund, and they contacted the hotel. I then received a call from a male member of staff at the hotel shortly after we left, and I explained to him the issues with the hotel, and advised that I would not have felt comfortable sleeping in the room. The person I spoke to offered no apology and said that no-one else had expressed their dissatisfaction with the hotel, and so he hung up on me! We ere eventually advised the following day by the booking company that the hotel had refused to give us a refund as we didn't try another room, even though I had explained my reasons for not wanting to be moved to another room.

I would like to point out that I have stayed in a variety of hostels and hotels, and have never left one before, and have also never reviewed a hotel. Our experience was really so bad that we felt compelled to do both,

I look forward to the Managers response to this, especially as he does appear to lack a certain degree of professionalism in his responses, which is also evident when it comes to the running of the hotel (and he is quite possibly the same person who hung up on me)!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
28 Thank Louise H
Andrewd101282, Owner at Lakes Lodge, responded to this review, 14 November 2011
We are sorry you did not like the Lakes Hotel . You are the first people who have ever done this to us and I was quite stunned. However since you did not stay at the hotel I feel you are not qualified to write the review that you did.
I have written honest responses to other reviews on Trip Advisor and unfortunately when I point out certain things to the writer ( things incidentally that are common place in hotels everywhere) the writer of the review will immediately accuse you of being unprofessional!

Since you chose not to stay at the hotel and you spent an hour in your room before simply disappearing without a word to anyone it is also unlikely any hotel staff were rude to you since you did not meet anyone except when you checked in.
All persons booking through an agent who then complain through the agent are never personally contacted but the complaint dealt with via the agent only . ( I can count the number of times an agent has ever contacted us with a complaint on one finger) I have no recollection of this particular complaint and the agent asking for a refund on behalf of their client.. Something, I am sure, that would have upset me and stuck in my mind.

Therefore I would think it is quite unlikely any one at the hotel contacted you by phone so could not have spoken to you about your reasons for leaving and by the same token could not have hung up on you.

The whole hotel has only recently been redecorated throughout and the décor chosen to reflect the age ,constuction and character of the building (grade 2 listed built circa 1859) and as such we are extremely sorry that it is not to your personal taste.
We respond to constructive reviews and when it is possible we rectify any defects and remedy anything untoward, pointed out by guests, immediately.

This is a review that upsets us as hoteliers working flat out to keep the place fresh and clean and as modern as possible whilst maintaining the charm.
Perhaps it would be better in future if the writers did actually stay at a retirement home where the surroundings would be more familiar.

Andy
Owner

Travellers are raving about these Windermere hotels

Ypsilanti, Michigan
Reviewed 23 September 2011

We stayed in 3 different B & Bs in our one week in the UK and liked staying here the best. We will admit that we had a little problem adjusting to Andy's personality (being from the USA) but he is very friendly and we liked our quiet room and the excellent breakfast and service. Our room was clean and comfortable. The mattress seemed to be an old spring one but we slept well. The touring trip was absolutely excellent and we recommend it to anyone. It was the highlight of our trip.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Janice1943
Paisley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2011

The Lakes Lodge is great little place to stay. If arriving by train you are only a two minute stroll from the station, and is also situated close to pubs and restaurants.The owner (Andrew) was friendly and welcoming. Yet, despite being on the main street there was very little in the way of traffic noise. The room itself was large and clean, and tastefully decorated. The only reason I didn't give the full 5/5 was the bed, we only had 1 very thin pillow each. I would also like to add that this was my second stay here, having been some 10 years previously, and woulld be more than happy to go back agin and again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank David S
Northumberland
Reviewed 26 July 2011

Was a little wary of the Lakes having read some horrific reviews, however pleasantly surprised by the hospitality and standard of accomodation. All I needed was a bed for the night and a decent breakfast and this hotel provided both adequately well. No real hassle in getting checked-in, room was clean and the breakfast more than edible. Although I think the normal peak season room rate is a little high I managed to find a discounted rate of £30pn which was just about right for the standard of service and given it's location a little way from the main hub of Bowness.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel

1 Thank calconbec