“Excellent B&B and friendly hosts”

and 1 more site!
Ivythwaite Lodge hotel
Ranked #40 of 111 Windermere B&B and Inns
Warrington, United Kingdom
“Excellent B&B and friendly hosts”
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Lovely rooms, fantastic breakfasts and wonderful spa bath make this a real treat!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Bacup, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2012

After reading the reviews on Ivythwaite and the cost of the room we expected something a little bit special - and especially with the breakfast awards ...

We were greeted by Wendy who had a quick hello, she showed us our room and asked us if we had any questions, we couldn't really think of any but she asked us to fill in a sheet for breakfast. I didn't mind this as I have been asked to fill in a breakfast sheet before but I did change my mind in the morning, but didn't say anything. Breakfast is between 8.45 and 9.30 which is an adequate time.

We stayed in room 3 which had a 4 poster bed and spa bath. The bath, I thought was lovely and the shower was hot instantly and had excellent pressure. The decor was very cute in the room and full of character. We had a caffertier in the room which was nice but only made one cup and the cups were very large.
The bed was very comfy and inviting but I barely slept as having purposefully leaving my phone at home as to not be bothered there was no alarm clock! I didn't realise this until 11pm and didn't want to disturb so I woke up every couple of hours as I didn't want to miss breakfast or check out (I wasn't clear on an actual check out time).
The TV in the room was a let down, it was about 16" and the reception was appalling with only 10 or so channels available we just turned it off.
Some nice additions were the wine glasses in the room, the choice of teas and coffee in the room with hot chocolate. There was ample shampoo and conditioner in the bathroom, not the usual tiny bottles.
Breakfast was served on time and there were some nice choices. A large bowl of fresh fruits were provided but most of it was quite soft and the strawberries were way past their best... The cooked breakfast was nice produce but where was the black pudding or beans?? I didn't want mushrooms but no alternative was provided so the plate looked a bit stark.
The problem I had with breakfast for me was that I felt really rushed. Mick was a nice chap but as soon as I put something down he took it away... I was going to have another slice of toast but he came to take it and I hadn't actually noticed. I would have liked to be offered some more warm toast as the butter was so hard I couldn't spread it on cold toast (hence mulling over extra toast). I think overall being asked if we needed anything, if it was nice - just some interaction would have been nice. I think all we herd was "have you finished?"
On our way out we called goodbye but Wendy was not there and there was no guest book to sign. I accidentally signed up to sponsor Wendy on a walk which I thought was the guest book.
There was no information in the rooms apart from a laminated map but information was provided in the hall. There was no information in the room about the b&b including breakfast/check out etc which was disappointing but no alarm clock really spoilt it for us.

Overall I would say 7/10 for this b&b, I think some more touches need to be made to the service but the home was lovely and clean, a little chilly (very much in the morning) and nicely decorated. It was in a good location with street parking (not school pick-up times) and a short drive from Bowness.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Phillippa C
mickpilling, Owner at Ivythwaite Lodge hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
This is a very lengthy review for a 1 night stay.I am sorry we did not meet your expectations but feel that the negative points are pretty irrelevant.
Surely the 16 " TV in the room was overshadowed by the 250 gallon spa bath in the bathroom,especially for a romatic getaway.Bad reception was an external fault due to weather.
At breakfast you only have to ask at the time if you require anything. Conversation is simple and free.

Mick
Manchester
Reviewed 3 February 2012

We stayed in "The Nook" the self catering cottage attached to the main house for 6 days in January and it was perfect! Mick was very welcoming on arrival and showed us everything we needed to know about The Nook. The accommodation itself was fantastic, beautifully done out and had absolutely everything you could need for self catering, the Nook was warm and cosy and a perfect hide away after a day walking.

The location again is great inbetween Windermere and Bowness perfect for strolling into either town both filled with lots of restaurants and pubs. We would definitely recommend fish and chips from The Little Chippy in Windermere!

Overall we had an amazing stay and would recommend The Nook to anybody who wants a cosy, comfortable home from home after those long days walking!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Liverpool
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Bit of a late review of this B&B (naughty me) as we stayed here for 4 nights in October 2011. We stayed in the 'Great Gable' attic room which was lovely, nicely decorated and very roomy with a large comfortable bed. The bathroom was nice and the jacuzzi bath was a welcome treat after a day hiking in the rain, in spite of the fact that the bubbles nearly sent me into orbit as the setting to control them did not seem to work.

The breakfasts were awesome and Mick in particular was very friendly and spent a fair bit of time talking to us about his past as a racing driver. I made the mistake one morning of asking for pancakes with maple syrup and (GASP) some bacon on the side and was teased mercilessly for this by Mick for such an unusual request! What can I say - it's an awesome combo!

We were advised to visit the local Italian pizzeria and 'Hooked', a fish restaurant 5 minutes walk away which were both excellent. Daisy's restaurant ain't much to write home about though and check out my review of The Glass House in Ambleside if you want a laugh. The B&B is conveniently placed in between Bowness and Windermere and is within easy walking distance to the centre of each.

Wendy's crazy cakes and biscuits (freshly baked daily) are to die for. We'd definitely stay here again, hopefully the weather will be better next time!

Room Tip: We stayed in The Great Gable which was nice but a little cold now and again.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2012

We Have had a fantastic weekend and were made to feel very welcome !!!!
We will highly recommend this hotel to all our friends we stayed in the great gable room which was delightful the owners are very welcoming and friendly and the breakfast superb(especially the home made cumberland sausage) the best place we have stayed in at the lake district in the many years we have visited the area!!

Simply fantastic and will definately visit again !!!

Room Tip: if you want quietness go for the attic room
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Windermere
0.1 km away
The Ravensworth
The Ravensworth
#16 of 111 in Windermere
0.2 km away
Glenville House (Adults Only)
Glenville House (Adults Only)
#3 of 111 in Windermere
0.0 km away
Denehurst Guest House
Denehurst Guest House
#19 of 111 in Windermere

Been to Ivythwaite Lodge hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK