We stayed at the Holbeck Ghyll on the 25th of May which was an extremely hot day. We had driven for some 6 hours and were hot and tired when we arrived. The hotel looked lovely, the view stunning and the welcome was cordial. We were then shown to our double room which on first glance seemed pleasant enough but we became aware of a humming noise. When we opened the window we realised we were just across from the kitchen and the extractor fan system. We returned to reception to request another room and were quite happy to pay more to upgrade but alas no rooms were available.
At the time of booking, other rooms had been available and I wish we had been contacted and informed that our room would be in this location to give us the chance to either upgrade or indeed go elsewhere.
We were informed that the fan would go off around 22:30 so decided we would just wait up for it to go off. We had a nice drink on the terrace and a lovely meal in the restaurant - we cannot praise the food enough as it was delicious (the highlight of the stay).
Of course, after the meal we were becoming increasingly tired and tried returning to our room but it was too hot with the window closed and too noisy with the window open so we returned downstairs. By 22:30 the fan had not gone off but we couldn't stay horizontal any longer so returned to our room. Eventually the fan went off at about 23:00 but there must be some other form of venting in that location as just as I was dropping off something else came on - this on and off process went on until sleep just took over.
Yes - we were awoken by the wretched fan the next morning - I could have screamed. We were so fed up, hot, tired and generally disenchanted by this point that we just packed our bags and left and couldn't even be bothered to eat breakfast - we just wanted to get away from the place - a great way to start the day when you have another 6 hour drive infront of you.
We did politely express our grievances to various staff members both the night before and the following morning but recognise there was not a great deal they could do at the time - but prior to our visit I had been in contact with the hotel both by email and telephone so there was ample opportunately to be informed of the location of our room and forwarned of the noise.
We were so looking forward to our stay and wish our review could be more upbeat !
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This luxurious country house hotel is set in eighteen acres of private woodland and gardens, in England's picturesque Lake District. Holbeck Ghyll offers 23 individually designed en-suite rooms, most with spectacular views over Lake Windermere. The Health Spa offers a range of treatments, sauna, steam room. Food is an integral part of any guests stay, and the Restaurant, which retained a Michelin Star for 14 consecutive years, will not disappoint. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia and Booking.com so you can book your Holbeck Ghyll Country House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holbeck Ghyll Country House Hotel Windermere
- Holbeck Ghyll Country Hotel
- Holbeck Ghyll Country Windermere
- Holbeck Ghyll Country House Windermere, Lake District