“Lovely hotel - shame about Room 22”

Holbeck Ghyll Country House
Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Inverurie, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel - shame about Room 22”
Reviewed 1 June 2012

We stayed at the Holbeck Ghyll on the 25th of May which was an extremely hot day. We had driven for some 6 hours and were hot and tired when we arrived. The hotel looked lovely, the view stunning and the welcome was cordial. We were then shown to our double room which on first glance seemed pleasant enough but we became aware of a humming noise. When we opened the window we realised we were just across from the kitchen and the extractor fan system. We returned to reception to request another room and were quite happy to pay more to upgrade but alas no rooms were available.

At the time of booking, other rooms had been available and I wish we had been contacted and informed that our room would be in this location to give us the chance to either upgrade or indeed go elsewhere.

We were informed that the fan would go off around 22:30 so decided we would just wait up for it to go off. We had a nice drink on the terrace and a lovely meal in the restaurant - we cannot praise the food enough as it was delicious (the highlight of the stay).

Of course, after the meal we were becoming increasingly tired and tried returning to our room but it was too hot with the window closed and too noisy with the window open so we returned downstairs. By 22:30 the fan had not gone off but we couldn't stay horizontal any longer so returned to our room. Eventually the fan went off at about 23:00 but there must be some other form of venting in that location as just as I was dropping off something else came on - this on and off process went on until sleep just took over.

Yes - we were awoken by the wretched fan the next morning - I could have screamed. We were so fed up, hot, tired and generally disenchanted by this point that we just packed our bags and left and couldn't even be bothered to eat breakfast - we just wanted to get away from the place - a great way to start the day when you have another 6 hour drive infront of you.

We did politely express our grievances to various staff members both the night before and the following morning but recognise there was not a great deal they could do at the time - but prior to our visit I had been in contact with the hotel both by email and telephone so there was ample opportunately to be informed of the location of our room and forwarned of the noise.

We were so looking forward to our stay and wish our review could be more upbeat !

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
skelbo_11, Owner at Holbeck Ghyll Country House, responded to this review, 2 June 2012
I am sorry that the noise from the kitchen fan intruded on your stay. I am looking at a variety of ways to reduce the noise of the fan so that it wont be an issue. I am also sorry that my team didn't show empathy towards your problem - I have spent a long time discussing this with them all and they join me in sending our apologies.

Yours sincerely

Andrew
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2012

We booked the Suite with lake view for 2 nights and on arrival the Hotel and suite was perfect. Unfortunately there was no hot water one afternoon and had to have cold showers, there was no wifi as promised and the Hot tub on our balcony was not Hot - hence we could not use it and completely ruined our romantic evening that we had planned. Instead we spent the evening on the phone to reception, who had no customer management skills and did not offer any compensation on that night. The manager was suppose to call back but they never did.

A very disappointing stay and not worth the £400 per night. On the morning of check out they gave us 10% off the stay - but by this time we were too annoyed to care.

The hotel restaurant was also not worth its stars. The food was cooked very well but lacked the excitement of interesting flavour combinations and ingredients which is what I associate with Michelin star food.

Room Tip: Room with a Lake view
9 Thank chris d
Dear Chris
My team and I are truely sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. I am sorry that your boiler tripped out, we did reset it but it must have been after your shower. We have put a note by the bathroom radiator asking for it not to be turned off as this causes the boiler to cut out. I am also sorry that the hot tub was not hot enough for you. We do test them each day and the temperature was 34 - 36 degrees; however it was during the hot period so perhaps the temperature seemed cooler.

I have spoken at length to my management team about the importance of responding quickly to guest comments. It seems that did not happen in your case.

Our kitchen team is also disappointed that you did not enjoy the meal and join me in sending our apologies.

Yours sincerely

Leuchars
Reviewed 24 May 2012

We booked the Holbeck Ghyll based on the reviews on here for our honeymoon and weren't disappointed. We stayed for 3 nights in the miss potter suite and it was incredible. The staff were very attentive and really made our stay. The setting was gorgeous and views beautiful. The main reason we booked it was for the food and the view from the hot-tub. Both of which lived up to our expectations. We will be returning again Im sure in the future, hopefully to celebrate many anniversarys!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
skelbo_11, Owner at Holbeck Ghyll Country House, responded to this review, 28 May 2012
Dear Adam,

Thank you for you great review and taking the time. We are all delighted that you enjoyed yourselfs - you are right about the view from the hot-tub - it is memorable!! I am glad that we made such a special time unforgettable ane I hope to see you back soon!

With all good wishes

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2012

From the moment we approached Holbeck Ghyll to consider it as a wedding venue, we knew it was perfect for our special day. The views from every aspect were fantastic. We were welcomed in by Andrew McPherson who talked us through every aspect of our plans. The size of the hotel was perfect for our wedding party, and we loved the arts and crafts features. Our priority for our wedding was high quality food and service, and in this respect we felt it would be totally fitting. Holbeck Ghyll had kindly agreed to host our wedding despite it being the May Bank Holiday Weekend, and we felt indulged not only by this, but also by Andrew's kind offer of the Holbeck Ghyll Range Rover for our outward and return journeys .
As the wedding was approaching we were guided by Gregory Simons who produced detailled itinaries of the days events; his eye for detail ensuring that nothing was overlooked or left to chance on the day.
On the day itself, I threw back the curtains to reveal a beautiful blue sky, a welcome relief after a period of heavy rainfall in the run up to the wedding. Ahead of schedule, Andrew McPherson arrived with the Range Rover adorned with white ribbons and looking dapper in a superb tweed suit. Despite, Andrew's promptness, I was late departing for the ceremony, but Andrew was able to calmly reassure me that it would be fine. As there was a lot of traffic heading down the Lakes Road (it was Bank Holiday after all), Andrew took a detour which provided a terrific view of Lake Windermere: what better scenery could a bride take in on the way to the ceremony? This was such a privellege that I felt rather regal, waving to any passers by in their cars! Upon arrival, I was met by the registrar in the serene location of the reception area where a small fire was burning in the grate of the beautiful fireplace.
Then it was time for our ceremony to begin. The groom looked amazing, and we took our vows with the fantastic scenery as a backdrop. The layout of the room was described as 'country house style', with the guests arranged comfortably on sofas and armchairs complete with cushions. When I looked behind me to see our guests, I was pleased that they were able to be so relaxed rather than be sitting on the usual upright chairs we come to expect at weddings. The registrars provided an excellent service, and made the service feel personal and special.
When the ceremony was over we had canapes and champagne, and the weather was fine enough for some of the party to have a short game of golf. We then moved into the Oak Panelled Dining Room, and were seated at the top table with the dynamic, ever changing view over Windermere (the one that starred in 'The Trip'). The service we received was attentive and repsonsive, yet unobtrusive. The waiting staff were friendly, and set the perfect tone for the wedding. The food we ate was amazing. The guests commented on how much they enjoyed it. The timing and pace of the courses, was perfect despite us being 20 minutes behind schedule because of the bride's tardiness. The children in our party were really well accomodated, which enabled their parents to relax and enjoy the flow of the day. They were even served an adult dessert of raspberry mille fueille, and due to the presentation and georgeous flavours they managed to eat it too! The staff were attentive to the children's needs; with one kindly member of staff keeping an eye on a sleeping two-year old on a window-seat when the parents were out of the room!!! An additional wedding surprise for me was bumping into the broadcaster, journalist, author and fellow-Wiganer Stuart Maconie in the car-park on my way to have some photographs taken in the Spring-time gardens. He kindly agreed to have some photographs taken with the bride, and signed our copy of his latest book (which will be a valued and treasured wedding gift). Our guests spent some time on the terrace before sadly departing to prepare for the night-time reception. We were pleased later in the evening when Andrew called around with our personalised menus for our day, and some belongings that we and our fellow guests had left behind. We did invite him to our party, but alas his dedication was such that he couldn't spare time from his duties! Our day at Holbeck Ghyll was perfect in every way. The wedding organisation was second to none. The food lived up to our expectations, and the service was unsurpassed. This Michellin starred restaurant did not let it's guard down because it was dealing with a wedding, in fact, it stepped up to the occassion.
I would recommend Holbeck Ghyll as an ideal venue for anyone wanting a high quality venue with attention to detail, where good food is a key priority. You also have the opportunity to have wedding photographs taken in a superb setting, with views that are absolutely priceless. We are just revelling in the final benefit: we can spend our future wedding anniversaries taking in these views, enjoying good food and reminsicing about the perfect day we had with the staff and guests at Holbeck on our return visits to celebrate the occasion.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank DitsyGirl
Dearest Lorriane and Robin,

Thank you so much for this very kind review - I blushed an awful lot! The truth is you were the best, such fun and all such lovely people, we all enjoyed looking after you - seeing you have such a good time makes us try even harder. When you are coming back make sure that you call me directly!

Best wishes from all of us at Holbeck Ghyll.

Andrew.

P.S. say hi to Mum!!
Manchester UK
Reviewed 22 May 2012

We stayed 2 nights, weekend visit without kids, for adult luxury and walking (and one of the nights was free, as I won it in a competition, but not with the hotel itself, so I feel free to review without prejudice). We were upgraded and had a lake view room - the Tower Room, up steep stairs as the name implies. Room with lots of nice touches, fireplace with fire, chocolates to welcome us, plum gin for a nightcap, large bathroom with the best hydrobath I have ever had in a hotel (often they don't work well after a succession of guests have misused them, this one was in perfect condition). Very minor comment - but interesting lack - the kettle needed to be plugged in at floor level but was on the top of a chest of drawers, so we had to take it off and put it on the carpet to use it. View from the room and from the hotel lounges was wonderful and they have a talented gardener who knows how to use scent as well as colour. We didn't use the spa, so can't comment there. We had one dinner - excellent as you would expect, and I would say good value for the quality and number of courses: canapes in the lounge - truffled cream cheese with a very strong truffle taste stood out - then cream of artichoke soup, then main courses, duck for me, then dessert - poached pineapple plate for me, a work of art! Then we chose the additional cheese plate, and then coffee and petit fours in the lounge, again, jewelled works of art. Wine very reasonable pricing and well served. Service was a little erratic sometimes, although always charming and eager to please - they mixed up our breakfast order, and also charged us more for dinner - but they put their mistakes right keenly and quickly, which is good.
This is luxury, with the prices you would expect, so it would be beyond our budget to stay here often, but for a special treat, you can't do better.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind review. I was over the moon to read that you enjoyed the food as much as you did. It is always good for our Kitchens morale to see that people do take a huge interest in what they are eating. My housekeeper is looking at all the kettles and their positionings and I have discuseed your comments regarding the erractic service with Tom, who looks after the operations. He joins me in sendinghis apologies, however, your critisism is taken in the constructive manor in which it is given.

Once again, thank you for your kind review.