All reviewsoutdoor jacuzzihot tubwordsworth suitesteam roomlake viewno liftchanging facilitiesmy partnerbooked this hotelbuffet stylerestaurant staffpatio doorsafternoon teaa bit tiredcourse evening mealfabulous viewsamazing hotel
Reviewed 3 January 2018 via mobile

We decided that we wanted to go away for new year instead of being at home so last minute we booked 3 night stay here. Mainly booked due to the pictures and the spa area. We just wanted a chilled time away doing something different over new year.

Before we arrived I thought I’d ring to book table for the evening as it was New Year’s Eve. We were told it was a package deal which would be £85 each - we thought it was a bit steep! Covered a 5 course meal (which was very nice), arrival drink, magician (who was very good but we only seen once!) and a live band then fire works at midnight (best we had seen. They were impressive!) still £170 for the both us!

The room- well, you’d think I’d learn by now the photos on the booking sites are always the best rooms and to read reviews but I always think they’re people moaning so don’t bother.

The room itself was basic but cleanand we had a view of the lake which was lovely however, the bathroom was a huge disappointment - very small and mould in places. The shower was lovely and powerful and it was clean which is also important. The lighting in the room was awful. Was like sitting in a cave trying to get ready and the mirror if you sit at the dressing table you can’t see in the mirror as it’s to high!

The other reviews are right about the noise you can hear from every other room. Again I just thought people were just being picky but you honestly feel like you are sharing your room with everyone else. The floor boards creak so every step they take you hear, they sneeze you literally hear it, when they talk you could join in the conversations! The beds creek which seems to be the same in every room. You just sit on the bed and they creak. The bed it self are not comfortable. Prob worse 3 night sleep. They are hard, the pillows are flat and the quilt is very thin so you do get cold!

The pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi are lovely. Very nicely done with the windows in the roof of the pool and the jacuzzi looking over the lake. The pool is quite cold but the jacuzzi is lovely and hot. We were lucky as it wasn’t overly busy but if it had been I think you’d struggle to get in the jacuzzi as it’s very popular! The changing rooms is tiny and you do share with both genders which is tad uncomfortable at times!

The staff there are lovely and always doing the best to make sure you’re happy and comfortable. They work very hard and long hours. Feel like they never left whilst we were here! The bar area is very cosy with the fire and all the Christmas decs with board games to keep you occupied!

I’d rate this more a 3* but this is mainly due to the room itself not anything’s else!

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bronwin H
Reviewed 30 December 2017 via mobile

I could go on forever so I'll keep it sweet:

- Beautiful rooms with stunning views.
- Polite, attentive & friendly staff; particularly Aiden.
- The most incredible food. Genuinely the best pieces of duck, lamb & steak I have had in ages.
- Immaculate spa with breathtaking views from the hot tub.
- A complimentary boat trip!

I would come back here in a heart beat. Thank you for a memorable Christmas.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Bex W
Reviewed 29 December 2017

This was a fab place to stay, right beside the lake with the most stunning views. There are lots of stairs and no lift so be cautious of this is any mobility problems. The buffet breakfast were great - hot food hot and plentiful, we only ate in the restaurant one night and found it a bit expensive but food was grand. I hopped into the outside Jacuzzi which was a bit too hot for me but again a stunning view, the pool was a bit too busy to use which was a shame. Loads to see and do in the area so recommend it as the perfect base for exploring all thing Beatrix Potter!!

Room Tip: Ask for room on reception level to avoid too many stairs!
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 December 2017 via mobile

I brought my mam here for a Christmas break. It was very warm and welcoming. The service was excellent from the second we got there and they kindly upgraded us. Food was unreal, bedroom more than comfortable and spacious and the spa was perfect.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 December 2017

My wife and I have just returned from our Christmas break at the hotel and my what a stay it was. When we first arrived we were first greeted by a mountain of stairs from the car park although one we reached the inside we were very impressed with the beautifully decorated lounge and the tea and coffee on arrival. We then made our way to check in The young lady that checked us in seemed unsure and not happy to be there (cant remember her name) although the actual check in process itself was fine and we soon may our way down to our room. Once we entered the room we were met with a relish present provide by the hotel ( I do have to say they are delish). Christmas eve we had our first evening meal. The service itself was ok, the young lady in charge seemed a little stressed although this had no effect and the meal and service were beautiful done. Christmas day soon came around, breakfast was amazing with plenty of choice, restaurant staff were brilliant especially Mariano. Christmas lunch again was tasty, although this finished us off for the day and we couldn't eat the Buffett later in the evening. Boxing day was a day we could do what we pleased. In the morning we called at Reception and spoke to Cloe who gave us complimentary tickets for a lake cruise and provided us with information of things in the area (she has very good knowledge of the hotel and surroundings). The cruise was a nice touch and was a good recomendation as we got to see the lake district in a different way. Once we returned we had the afternoon tea which was served between 3.30 and 5pm. When we got there all of the ham and cheese sandwiches had gone however Cloe and kelsie soon arranged some more sandwiches for us which were delicious and a perfect way to end the afternoon. Later that evening we had our final evening meal. Again the food was amazing, credits to lucas the chef, he is is a credit to the hotel. The entertainment was good although we are a bit gutted we didn't win the chocolate santa!! Check out day soon came round and we were sad to go. we had our final farewell breakfast, packed our things and made our way to reception to check out. On check out we were greeted by cloe again who talked us into booking for next year (we didn't need much persuading). She was very helpful with arranging our room for next year as we had a few special requirements which she was more than happy to listen to and arrange and talked us through our options. We were sad to hear she was leaving, she is a credit to your team and im sure she will be missed After our goodbye we finally made our way home.... So that was our Christmas stay in a nutshell (excuse the pun) Again we would like to say a massive thank you to all of the staff and especially to the young girl (Im sure it was steph) and older guy running the restaurant, keslie from the restaurant/bar, Cloe from reception/restaurant and Head chef lucas!! All of you are a credit to the hotel and we look forward to our return next year!!

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple