1,253 results
All reviews wild boar feature room copper bath scotch egg smoke house clay pigeon shooting micro brewery pigs in blankets pork scratchings smoked steak mad pig afternoon tea real ale luxury room evening meal sister hotel open fire
Reviewed 15 September 2018 via mobile

Visited the Wild Boar for my wife’s birthday. As a Relish card holder I am very familiar with the standard of English Lakes hotels having stayed at the Wild Boar, Low Wood and Waterside in the past several times. This time the Wild Boar disappointed.

The first issue was the room. Booked a feature room but the first room offered had a French window which was impossible to secure. Second room not much better so eventually settled on a third room with no French window, the Saddleback. Still had issues, mould on the walls and towel rail in bathroom not working. This hotel needs a major refurb I would say now.

Worst though was to come. When I booked I mentioned it was my wife’s birthday and again on checkin but nothing - not even a free drink or a card. The birthday meal was embarrassingly bad for me. It started when they delivered still water rather than sparkling then the platter went back due to tough fatty off cuts of meat. The two fillet steaks for the main were tough and fatty - you know when you get the end of the filet. Cooked correctly but poor cuts. We called for the manager and the girl from reception appeared and stated that the chef said there was nothing wrong with the steaks. They were all the same. Well if that was the case they’re buying cheap offcuts rather than prime fillet. We settled on a replacement of sirloin but my wife was so disappointed. They were ok but not great. We entered the restaurant at 7:30 and by this time it was nearly 10pm so we were losing the will to live. My wife had had enough but I soldiered on and had a sticky toffee pudding which was stale and dry. Coffee was luke warm. Whilst the bill was waived the experience was ruined for my wife on her birthday and not even a Birthday drink to compensate.

We thought maybe it was a bad night so decided to eat again in the restaurant the following night. My Fish and Chips were fine but my wife’s burger was raw inside and had several menu stated items missing - a familiar story speaking to others. The chef just seems to make it up so never the same as the menu. So another return.

Breakfast was ok but again lots of stuff going back to the kitchen wrong or not cooked right. My wife ordered the breakfast sandwich which came with undercooked sausage and dripping with grease. In the end the waitress went behind the counter and cooked a replacement herself for us. It was better than the chef could produce so that says it all.

Overall a bad experience. Looking for another trip in October to make it up to my wife but won’t be picking the Wild Boar. Financially they saw us alright but to be honest it’s not about money but enjoyment. I’d have sooner have paid full wack and had a good time.

1  Thank SteveFussy
EnglishLakesManager, General Manager at The Wild Boar, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2018

Dear SteveFussy
Thank you for taking the time to review your visit and speak to my colleagues during your stay.
Once again, on behalf of the whole team, I am sorry that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion.
Thank you once again for your feedback.

Reviewed 12 September 2018 via mobile

Visited for an eagerly anticipated afternoon tea and left feeling disappointed. Most of the food was ok ; but the crackling was completely inedible, the savoury cheese very messy , fish greasy and the mini jar the jam came in appeared rusty. a waitress walked into the restaurant adjusting her ponytail.Neither at any time during the meal nor on payment were we asked if things were ok . We were going to have a drink after the meal but left with a splitting headache caused by group of about ten females who were extremely loud . As we have stayed 3 times at the hotel , each time for 6 days this was the worst we have experienced. On the plus side I used my Relish card for payment.

1  Thank suzymar

Dear suzymar
Thank you for taking the time to review your visit.
I am sorry that on this occasion we failed to meet your expectations and will of course share your comments with the tea.
we hope to welcome you back to the Wild Boar in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 12 September 2018 via mobile

The afternoon tea isn’t like a traditional afternoon tea, it’s much better! Still came with a lovely selection of cakes and sandwiches, but also a small basket of fish and chips, amazing scotch eggs, pork crackling and the best wild boar sliders I have ever had. Well worth the £25, took some of it home in a box. I have never stayed here although I would love to because the settings are beautiful, but it is only a 10 minute drive from Bowness and they have indoor dog friendly areas, so definitely worth a trip!

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends

Dear love_to_travel_SB
Thank you for taking the time to review your afternoon tea at The Wild Boar Inn.
Delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit and we hope to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed 9 September 2018 via mobile

Must say it was one of the best afternoon teas I have ever had. A class of its own totally different to any others well worth the visit highly recommend a visit to anyone. A classy and friendly place. Five stars

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
EnglishLakesManager, General Manager at The Wild Boar, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2018

Dear Jamie J
Thank you for such a positive review of your afternoon tea here at The Wild Boar!
We always wanted this to be unique to the Inn and I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your time here with us.
We hope to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed 9 September 2018 via mobile

Recently visited for Sunday lunch. Not as good as previous visits and would certainly choose to return for evening meal rather than Sunday lunch. The lunch itself was ok; some of the beef was tough and states that it is served pink on the menu but this wasn’t the case. The veg was cooked perfectly lovely and crunchy. The meal could have been warmer. Able to cater for dairy free diet. Service was somewhat slow in getting drinks when we arrived. Overall could be better.

Dear 0113leeds
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent visit.
I was certainly disappointed to read that you felt your meal not to be up to our usual high standard and will of course discuss your comments with the team.
We hope to welcome you back to The Wild Boar very soon.