“Fantastic value for money”

Station Hotel Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #36 of 65 Penrith B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 September 2017

In the past, I’ve stayed at The George in Penrith. It used to be a classy place but has gradually faded over the years, and now seems expensive for what it is. I needed to attend a funeral with my sister, and she had booked herself into the Station, where she had (happily) stayed before. I was put off by the rates being quoted on the Trip Advisor site, given that my sister was paying £30/night – half what it shows on the site.

So I called them directly, and made a reservation – at £30. I also pre-booked breakfast at £7.50 (note: if you want breakfast, you pretty much need to do this – I don’t think you can just turn up in the morning for breakfast if you haven’t pre-booked it). I paid £20 deposit, with the balance due on arrival.

When I got there, I got a wonderfully friendly welcome from the girls/ladies behind the bar. The place itself is a little faded, but generally very clean and presentable. As for my room: it was absolutely fine. Yes, I’ve stayed in bigger, but the bed was comfy, the bathroom facilities entirely adequate (a decent shower too), there was space to work, a perfectly serviceable TV – and, as I was on the back (Room 6) I was looking out at the castle.

As others have said: parking is a bit of a pain. The hotel doesn’t have its own, but there’s public parking about 5 minutes away (Bluebell Lane) which is free from 6:00pm to 8:00am, and not too expensive out of those hours (£4.80/day).

My sister and I had a few drinks in the bar - friendly service again – before heading downtown for a curry.

I slept well enough. I’d been asked at check-in what time I’d like breakfast, and presented myself in the dining room at 8:00. The cook was a charming lady. Orange juice was already on the table, and I was asked if I wanted cereal before my full English. The breakfast, when it soon came, was fine – a couple of sausages, two rashers of bacon, a perfectly fried egg, mushrooms, tomato and baked beans (the latter should have no place on a breakfast plate, but there you go…) – all well cooked. Toast was brought soon after.

All in all, I’d thoroughly recommend the Station. At £30/night plus breakfast, it’s remarkable value for money – and I don’t think I’d have enjoyed staying at The George any more than I enjoyed staying at the Station – but at a third of the price.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 6 September 2017

loved this place very old building needs some updating, but was lovely and clean. the food was amazing and the staff could not have done any more for us, nothing was too much trouble..had 2 small children and they had a great time.

Room Tip: lovely view if you have a room at the back.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 September 2017

The hotel is easy to find as it is a grand, imposing old building near the station. Parking seems problematic, but if you leave your car temporarily at the nearby fast-food outlet, which is clearly visible from the roundabout, the staff at the hotel will advise you as to safe, overnight parking without paying the charges at the station! Guests should feel free to ask about anything, as everyone is so helpful. My room was ensuite and very reasonably priced. I also liked the old fashioned decor as it added to the ambience of the building. The stained glass windows around the bar are a rare feature nowadays and it was all reminiscent of the days of steam, with the added bonus of electricity and plumbing, of course! I arrived too late for dinner, but the deserts looked excellent! I would come back next time I am in the area.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 September 2017

We visited the Station Hotel on an early recce of Penrith on our recent holiday, stopping in for a coffee and a pint before carrying on.

Upon hearing we were camping in Troutbeck and would have almost 12 hours from check-out to our midnight coach home, the lady at the bar immediately offered to let us store our bags in the hotel on our last day, so we could spend it exploring and enjoying ourselves. There was no "if you get dinner" or "we'll charge X for storage", just "and if you like it's steak night that day, so you could stay for dinner and you're welcome to stay in with us until we close". Such a generous offer!

And clearly the offer was genuine - when we arrived on our last day the previous lady wasn't on duty, but every member of staff had the attitude of "of course you must keep your bags here!" "of course we're happy to do that!".

We stopped in the bar a few times that day and every time were met with warmth and welcome and friendship and excellent service.

The steak dinner was excellent. Delicious chips, and a blue steak perfectly cooked and tender. The bottled ale available at the bar was great, and prices for food and drink were very reasonable. We also had an early lunch here - selections of tapas dishes - and that was amazing. Every dish was delicious, and the tapas came with a really good side salad. Good sized portions so we struggled to finish it all!

That evening, a birthday celebration for a 90th birthday took place in one room while the locals enjoyed sports on the TVs in another, but there was still lots of space and lots of attention for the rest of us who came in for meals or drinks - service was fantastic even when it got really busy, and the whole place was lively, fun, warm and comfortable. Can absolutely recommend.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2017

We had a one night stay on route to a Family Function .From the moment we walked through the door the staff couldnt be more helpful .we had decided to try the Steak Night Special and were not dissapointed in any way whatsoever The steak perfectly done as requested . My initial thought that I might try a dessert was soon gone as I had no room after the Steak .We had a few drinks in the Bar and found the Regulars Friendly and welcoming .We Will use this little Gem Again superbly located and relaxing atmosphere

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple