All reviewssteak nightcastle ruinsfriendly owners and staffgarlic prawnssunday carverybed and breakfast basisside saladbeer gardenpub mealtown centrenice sizeportion sizesconvenient locationgreat roomfriendly welcomea great place to stayfull english
Reviewed 17 July 2017

We had a one night stay on route to a Family Function .From the moment we walked through the door the staff couldnt be more helpful .we had decided to try the Steak Night Special and were not dissapointed in any way whatsoever The steak perfectly done as requested . My initial thought that I might try a dessert was soon gone as I had no room after the Steak .We had a few drinks in the Bar and found the Regulars Friendly and welcoming .We Will use this little Gem Again superbly located and relaxing atmosphere

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2017

We are staying in the station hotel for several day. Has the best meal of our trip this evening,pm the special roast beef with Yorkshire pudding, mash and perfectly cooked vegetables, and at least half the price of every other evening meal, none of which came close to this one.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2017 via mobile

Arrived late so had limited choice in hotels. Thought that at 60 pound without breakfast it was somewhat overpriced. Staff were extremely pleasant and helpful. Room was compact, warm and comfortable. BUT, there was no information on the room and had to hunt out a staff memb6in the early morning to find out how to get the shower working. Also shower head was stained with what appeared to be dried blood. Will not be recommending to friends.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
tcourtney, General Manager at Station Hotel Bar & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2017

Hi Eric, thank you for your feedback. Firstly I would like to point out that far from being overpriced, £60 room only is well below the average price that you would expect to pay anywhere around the lake district. Secondly, your 'hunting' out a member of staff merely involved you walking down to our reception area to ask a question. why the big spin on this I don't know. Thirdly to operate the electric shower you only had to turn back on the big red switch located outside the en suite with the word 'SHOWER' on it, These are always left on to avoid such an issue so I can only assume you turned it off, thinking you were turning the bathroom light on. As for dried blood on the fixed shower head, I've been to inspect it and can only assume by this point your imagination was starting to run wild!! In short this whole review is based on the fact that you were unable to figure out how to operate an electric shower, our staff member came to your assistance, yet you still feel aggrieved somewhat. Why then when you checked out didn't you mention anything, when asked had your stay been ok, your reply was 'Super, thank you'. Why people hide behind a keyboard is beyond me, talk to your hosts and help them to help you!!

Reviewed 26 June 2017

Stayed here on Friday night for our first night of the C2C ,was feeling tired and wet but the warm welcome I received certainly made me feel better I shared room 15 with my son and son in law. Room was warm ,clean and comfortable ,but to be fair at 6 ft 4 inches I had to stop going through some doors. The hotel does look a little dated ,but it is intended as an overnight stopover and in my opinion it is acceptable for it's intended use. Service was first rate we enjoyed steak night ,16 hungry cyclists enjoyed the food and Ale after a ride from Whitehaven in the rain .The staff ensured our bikes were secured and our appetites were quenched. A welcoming warm oasis for a soaking wet 63 year old.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 June 2017

Currently staying at the Station hotel while working nearby. I'm really pleased to have found such a great place to stay, a real home from home. Rooms clean and comfortable, the staff can't do enough to help and on one occasion when I didn't fancy anything on the menu, the chef was happy to make me sausage, egg and chips. It's the small, thoughtful touches that mean a lot. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone and the fact it's very central doesn't hurt either!

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo