“Good Location, Good price”

Station Hotel Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #36 of 65 Penrith B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 July 2016

Just stayed here with a large group of mates doing the C2C. Checked in, the reception is basically the end of the bar counter. The bar is mainly frequented by work men. The car park is a waste piece of land facing the hotel in which you place a card in your car window, presumably this must be to avoid a parking ticket. The rooms were lovely, as was the shower, the staff were friendly and could not have helped us more with the bikes and luggage storage. The bar was very noisy and the locals were swearing quite loud, this did not bother us but it might bother others. Bev served us breakfast and was friendly and nothing was too much trouble. My sister who does not eat fry ups, was offered a sandwich to take away, or basically asked "what do you fancy and I will get it for you" Well looked after. Personally I would stay again. I had no problems what so ever.

Room Tip: The bar is very loud. So preferably far away from the bar as possible.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank stephanie005_12
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 6 July 2016

Location good, check in easy and straightforward. Room spacious and quiet on the top floor (quad room). The staff were very friendly and helpful.

I did have some niggles with the quad room, though. The single beds in the quad room were uncomfortable and you can feel the springs in the mattress. This led to a great debate over who would get to sleep in the double bed, which was fairly comfortable. The electric shower gave me problems and spurted irregular bursts of burning hot water. I ended up using an additional shower that was hooked up to the mains water, but this took eons to heat up and had a lot of residues on the shower head.

Room Tip: Quad room on top floor is quiet, although single beds probably best suited for children.
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank flaed87
Reviewed 29 June 2016

Came across this place while walking round Penrith. It didn't look much from out side but we are glad we went in. A very friendly waitress greeted us and sat us down . I had slow cooked lamb with potatoes veg and minted gravy. My husband had steak pie and chips. We decided to go back the following night, we both had the specials which was Hake. It came with crushed curried New potatoes but as I don't like curry they changed that to chips and veg for me. That along with a couple of drinks came to around £30 each night. Did not have Room for pudding which was a shame as they sounded very nice.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2016

Stayed he for several weeks a year whilst studying. Hotel side has not been touched in years. The carpets in the room are threadbare. The bedding is ancient and there's only a small oil heater to heat the room during winter. The only bonus is the location and the price for room only. I can't comment on the food as I always ate elsewhere in town. It was ideal for me as a base during my studies and the staff are always friendly and helpfull. It can get quite noisy downstairs if there is a function on especially if you are staying on the first floor. The rooms at the back do overlook the castle which is nice.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled on business
Jimmy M, General Manager at Station Hotel Bar & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2016

Hi, for someone who claims to stay here several weeks a year whilst studying, I feel I should know who you are? It must be quite some time since you stayed as in the spring of 2015 we replaced the carpets and fitted black out blinds to all the letting rooms. As well as this, new radiators were also fitted to the majority, with the remainder to be done before autumn this year. We don't cater for functions here, so I have no idea what you mean with regard to that. Next time you stay, please introduce yourself, I would suggest its been over a year since your last visit,

Reviewed 13 June 2016

1st time visit to Penrith as we did the Settle to Carlisle line and our experience of the Station Restaurant was memorable! The staff were absolutely fantastic! Very polite and friendly. Also our food was excellent, no complaints whatsoever. Would definitely return!

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends