“Lunch time visit”
Review of The Wainwright

The Wainwright
Ranked #4 of 12 Quick Bites in Keswick
Description: The Wainwright is a dog friendly free house in Keswick town centre, on Lake Road opposite George Fisher. Voted runner up as CAMRA Pub of the Year 2016 we serve up to 8 real ales from Cumbrian brewers. We serve great food, using locally sourced ingredients wherever possible. Perfect for the walker/climber/runner and casual tourist alike we have 3 TVs showing fellwalking and other Lakeland activities.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

On our first day in Keswick we popped into The Wainwright for lunch, which was quite busy but we managed to get a table. As I have mentioned in a previous review it has a good range of real ales but not lagers. We ordered our food and didn’t have that long to wait, the portions were big enough and were freshly made. The menu isn’t massive but what they do is very good and I would recommend this establishment to families and dog owners alike. You cannot book a table so you either have to get there early or just be lucky.

Date of visit: October 2018

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Situated not far from the town centre, one of the hewest pubs in Keswick and certainly one of the best (and they're all good!). Excellent selction of real ales and the extra benefit of watching walkers and cyclists experiencing the Wainwright mountains on the TV. A great change from football!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Popped in for lunch having done a walk around Derwent water. Ordered 2 burgers from the menu. When we asked if one could be "well done" we were told no, they're all cooked the same??!! I did overhear someone say that the chef was new but surely the most inexperienced chef can manage to leave a burger under the grill for a couple of minutes extra lol. Food arrived fairly quickly and the burgers were nice but not outstanding. They come with chips and although my husband had a decent portion mine seemed to consist of all the little bits from the end of the bag. It was also disappointing to see that several things that had been broken on our last visit a year ago (i.e. the tap in the gents toilet) had still not been fixed. I would go back but I get the feeling the place is going downhill a bit

Reviewed 7 November 2018

Spent a lazy Sunday afternoon enjoying lunch and a few beers. Food was good and the real ale was excellent.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed 5 November 2018

Called in here on a very wet Saturday afternoon. Struggled to get near the small bar due to people being sat all the way round it with their drinks and no intention of moving for you. So I stood at the open hatch which did say to keep clear at all times, but as I was stood to the side didn't think it would be a problem. How wrong was I. From behind me came a barking order to MOVE!!! Which I did with an apology. Eventually I got served from the nicer girl of the two. It was 4.30pm so asked if they were serving food to be told food didn't start until 5pm. No problem I said, could we have a couple of menus to browse over while we waited. This is when Miss Rude came barking back telling me I had to wait until 5pm for the menus. I asked why we couldn't have them now because it would take us a good half hour to decide what we wanted. Again I was told rudely that I wasn't going to get a menu until 5pm and if I wanted to have a look at a menu before then I could go outside in the pouring rain and read the one on the wall! So we sat and waited until 5pm when the menus came out. Unfortunately nothing on the mains appealed to us so we decided on four starters. Off my friend went to order relieved to see the rude one was on a break, put our order in to the lad now serving to then be told, sorry no starters being served tonight because it's a new chef and they are only doing mains!!!! We drank up and walked out back into the rain. Having worked in the pub/catering trade for many years I would say this place needs to look at its staff and management. The rude one wouldn't get a job cleaning toilets in any of the places I've run. Another warning, avoid this place if there is more than six of you in your party because six orders is their limit for each table! Rude staff, bad atmosphere won't be going back!

3  Thank jaclash