“A surprise my husband will find hard to beat”

Highfield Restaurant
Ranked #61 of 130 Restaurants in Keswick
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A surprise my husband will find hard to beat”
Reviewed 27 September 2011

My husband booked this restaurant as a surprise for our anniversary and I must say it is one he will have trouble beating. The outside of the hotel is deceiving, as the entrance was not obvious (we arrived when it was dark and raining), however once inside the service and atmosphere was lovely and inviting.

The food was very tasty and even the bread that accompanied the meal was different to what I would normally expect, one flavoured with lavender the other with cinnamon and sultanas (almost like a hot cross bun) and deliciously warm, the rest of the meal delicious, yes it is a choice of a 3 or 4 course meal but by the end of the main course I was too full for a dessert of my own so shared my husbands – caramelised banana with vanilla ice cream and toffee sauce in a brandy snap basket.

My husband had told them when making the reservation, at least a month in advance, that it was our anniversary and they still remembered on the night.

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank Nikl82
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Good Food - up to Expectations”
Reviewed 6 September 2011

Looking for a pre-theatre option in Keswick (we are regular visitors) I picked this out from other reviews. There is a genuinely old-fashioned look and approach to the place, and one might almost expect to see a fusty old brigadier snoozing in the corner. But the cleanliness, attitude of staff and quality is absolutely spot on.

One or two more vegetarian options would have suited my wife, but we both had excellent meals with first class, attentive service. At first I was concerned about getting done in time despite a 6pm start but I needn't have worried, the staff had the timing fully under control.

A bit pricey for Keswick, so not an everyday venue (unless you're very well off!) but definitely an enjoyable option for the special night out or with friends pre-theatre.

• Visited August 2011
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Worth a visit but not memorable”
Reviewed 27 July 2011

We enjoyed our evening meal the staff being exceptionally friendly, but the food, although good, was not exceptional nor the evening particularly memorable. This was a shame as we were celebrating a birthday. Overall we were.a little disappointed and did not feel that we got full value for our money.

• Visited June 2011
Cleveland
“good, but expensive, Tart a bit of a let down for this type of restuarant!!”
Reviewed 19 July 2011

My husband booked a table at the Highfield Hotel in Keswick for his birthday, we where actually not staying there but at the Castle Inn Hotel (7 miles away), but the reviews where very good.

The outside of the hotel does not give justice to the restuarant, the hotel looks a little scruffy but once in the restaurant you could be in a posh hotel!

My husband wanted to have the four course meal, so thats what we went for, the service by the staff was excellent from start ot finish, extremely friendly but professional. The food was good, I started with the scallops with black pudding, I don't like blackpudding but was willing to try it but my husband ate it in the end. I then followed with Sea Breem which was nice, my husband went for the beef starter then the pork for main and loved it.

The disappointment for me was the pudding, I went for blackberry tart and what I got was a rather large piece of something that had blackberries in but was cased in a thick almond tart and that is all I could taste. So a meal that was 5 star went down to a 4!!

Worth a go!

• Visited July 2011
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
“Quality food and service.”
Reviewed 14 July 2011

Our first visit to this Hotel. We were given a warm welcome on arrival, the quality of food, presentation, and excellent service made this an evening to remember. As is often said, "the difference is in the detail" and certainly the detail here makes this an outstanding restaurant. We will certainly return.

• Visited July 2011