“Disgusted”

Ranked #8 of 9 Nightlife in Kendal
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

Visited recently with family on weekend away, bar staff talked over you to each other, no atmosphere, and illegal substances openly being talked about between staff and customers while children present?!

1  Thank prettygirl18
AMill53, Manager at Smokies Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2017

Hello,
I am sorry for your experience in Smokies. Not sure when you were in the bar but this will definitely be addressed by Management to the staff involved as this is something that should never have happened and will not be tolerated! We have a team of around 10 staff and training in customer service is a priority but this will be looked at again when we have our monthly staff meet. My apologies once again and I truly hope you will visit Smokies in the future and experience a normally good atmosphere and good customer service

Reviewed 4 April 2017 via mobile

So visited Kendal for a couple of days away with my partner, hotel was shockingly awful I wanted to do anything and everything to spend a little time as possible there..... went for some food at weatherspoons up the road and the bar woman we got talking to recommend to go here.

Boy am I glad we did, the bar is small but quirky and hidden down a yard alleyway. Atmosphere at the beginning was dry due to football being on but it definitely picked up after that. Drinks are a little on the pricey side, and they didn't take card when I visited, which was a pain to keep going to the cash machine. Staff we great really made us feel welcome, very chatty and so we're the locals in there. I had a little issue with a random guy getting a little overly friendly and made some very inappropriate comments, I informed a bar man who quickly resolved it and had the guy removed.... made me feel super relaxed and at home. Thank you to him!!!

We were only planning to go for a couple of drinks but that turned into leaving at 4am.

Great place to visit, had a great night and when in Kendal again will definitely be returning. Cheers smokies for making my Kendal visit great after a dreadful start!!!!!

1  Thank kshepherd86
AMill53, Manager at Smokies Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2017

Hello and thankyou for your great review. Our drinks prices start from £2 a pint up to 11pm every day but as we are open until 3am 7 days a week they do rise after that time to normal town centre pub pricing. We are a sports bar with multi screen to show all sport for our customers but we are also a music bar in the evenings to create atmosphere for a great night out including making space for dancing. I am sorry you had a bad experience with a customer and i am pleased it was resolved straight away by our staff member. We take pride in making sure customer safety is a priority. We hope you will visit again soon :)

Reviewed 1 April 2017 via mobile

Dog friendly. Went in to watch the Merseyside derby, great atmosphere no animosity at all. £2 for a pint of cider £3 for a stein (2 pints) cheapest drink we had all weekend. Not sure what it would be like later on in the evening though. Toilets where clean but no seat on one of the ladies toilet.

AMill53, Manager at Smokies Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2017

Hello, thanks for your review and glad you enjoyed your visit. We pride ourselves on our daytime drink prices which we have at that price up to 11pm every day. As we open until 3am 7 days a week we have to raise the price after that time to regular town centre pub prices. I apologise for the missing seat in the toilet, this is down to a handful of people who seem to like vandalising our property when we are extremely busy of a night. |The seat will be replaced ASAP (not for the first time) We hope you visit Smokies again in the future.

Reviewed 10 September 2016 via mobile

I am a regular in smokies the staff know my drink and it is always served by pleasant helpful members of their team
Every member of staff is a valuable asset and a credit to Smokies

AMill53, Manager at Smokies Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2016

Hi, thanks for your kind words, we look forward to seeing you in Smokies :)