New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ship Inn
Ranked #6 of 20 Restaurants in Coniston
Price range: US$ 5 - US$ 18
Cuisines: Bar, Pub
Good for: Kids, Cheap Eats, Groups, View, Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Drinks, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: We are a traditional English Inn, in the heart of the Lake District offering a warm welcome, helped by a roaring open fire in the cooler months!The bar stocks award-winning cask ales, a selection of fine wines and malt whiskies. We offer classic pub food which is locally-sourced and freshly prepared on the premises. We have Bed and Breakfast accommodation, 2 of the 3 rooms being en-suite.
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“nice n cosy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

Little olde pub with proper fire, beams n brass etc. Reasonable prices. My food was fine but my girlfriends new potatoes were well undercooked. Staff were ok, they were not friendly in nature but the service was quick. We were not asked if the food was ok- the woman looked at the plate of left over potatoes and whisked them away before we could offer them feedback. The beer was fine though. About the best place in Coniston to eat I suppose but thats not a hard thing to achieve.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank paul p
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Preston, United Kingdom
“Rude owners, terrible attitude”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

No sooner had we arrived we were informed they were closing soon & it was last orders. No problem there, time for a quick pint & then back to the campsite so we thought.
No sooner had we sat down with our drinks than the owner was shouting at us to hurry up with our drinks because he wanted to close up & prepare for breakfast for the guests.
He kept standing over us to hurry us along whilst regaling us with stories of how he is sick of 'people from the campsite'.
Why serve us if there isn't time for us to actually drink our drinks & you are so sick of people from the campsite?
Fawlty Towers sprung to mind......

• Visited July 2011
3 Thank Markaroo
London, United Kingdom
“The Ship Inn - the best in Coniston”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

We spent a great week in Coniston and ate out most nights. We picked The Ship Inn for our last night and had a great meal at sensible prices. The lamb shanks were lovely and tasty and the veg and chips terrific. The beers were good too and there was a nice warm friendly atmosphere about the place which was obviously very popular. Great food at excellent prices.

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank catlover043
Hawkshead, United Kingdom
“food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

the game pie fab lovely pub just a nice walk from the camp site stop all most dayly

1 Thank schoolhousecottage
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Miserable, miserable, MISERABLE!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2011

Having boycotted this establishment for about 5 years myself and my wife were recently renting a cottage just up the road and I decided to give it another go. Nothing whatsoever has changed. On the original vist we were literally shouted at for moving a table about a foot to be slightly closer to the fire after a long a very damp walk, at the time we were the only people in the pub! On my recent visit I arrived alone with my dog and was greeted with a grunt from the landlord when I politely asked if the dog was OK in the pub. I then proceeded to order a pint (which was not great!) to be asked for , and I quote " two ninety" no "please" no smile, no " thank you" . I then sat down whilst being stared at from over the bar by the sour faced landlord for about 15 minutes. It was a Saturday night so a few other people came and went while I was there and it would appear that it was not just me that received this wonderful customer service, a elderly group arrived shortly after me and apologised for being a few minutes late for a table booking to which the obligatory grunt was returned. One of the party asked for a peppermint cordial or similar for heartburn and was told "No" . Luckily I had some tablets in my pocket which I gladly shared. It is such a shame that a pub which is in one of the most beautiful places is run by such a misery, the atmosphere is awful. Please do the right thing and go to the other pubs in the village they are great!!!

• Visited October 2011