All reviews talbot bar lake district dog friendly hotel steak pie drying room main restaurant lovely hotel each evening hotel is situated single room plenty of hot water cumberland sausage couple of nights superior room two night stay the pub we've stayed
Reviewed 21 February 2017

Great traditional hotel in superb location - staff v friendly and the bar and restaurant service were good. Very good value - single room B&B on a Friday night for £55. Evening meal was good although the bread roll was a bit like rubber -as if it had been heated in a microwave. My only plea would be on the hotel furnishings - so the corner cupboards, old dressers and even the ancient fire door onto the first floor (which hasn't changed since I was there as a 10 year old) all bring the hotel individual charm, Not so keen on the modern non-descript red sofas, dull dining room chairs and some of the other "interior design mprovements" - keep it old, traditional and individual please!

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Michael_Anderson107
Reviewed 15 February 2017

Stayed here with friends as a base for a hike on the Fairfield horseshoe.
Ample parking, Good size & clean rooms. Lovely dinner & breakfast the next morning.
Only complaint was that the bedrooms can be noisy. Avoid room 5 if you want an early night and room 18 was also mentioned as a noisy one too.
Staff are great can not fault.

Special thanks to Nora for our warm welcome. Booked again to return on the 25th for our next adventure.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms 5 & 18 (Noise issues)
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 February 2017 via mobile

Always visit here when we come to the Lake District to eat the steak and Jennings ale pie - delightful
Warsteiner beer too.
It is dog friendly and staff are helpful and welcoming. A must do when rambling in the Ambleside area.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Frant1967
Reviewed 5 February 2017

I was staying unexpectedly in Ambleside after a fews days living in a tent during some very cold Lake District weather! I found this hotel because they were offering a cracking deal for a single bed room. The hotel is situated a few miles and just 10 minutes drive outside Ambleside. It is not ideal if you are intending to be in walking distance of town as it certainly isn't. However, if you want to be away from town, with a bar, good food and a warm room then this place is great.
My room was very small but clean, with an en-suite bathroom (though the shower cubicle was v-small!) and a comfortable bed. The staff were great and helpful and I ate from the bar in the evening. The bar area was a little cold, but they had a drawing room-style lounge next door where I ate and read my book and it was really comfortable. The food in the bar area was brilliant; I was really surprised and the portions were large and breakfast was great.
I really cannot fault this hotel. For the price, it was spot-on. I try and avoid staying at B&Bs as it is like staying with someone that you don't know and you take your chance with your host! For the price they were offering, you get hotel service and comfort for the price of a B&B. My room was a little dated, but I didn't come here to stair at the decor in my room. If I could get the same deal or even slightly more, I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: There should be plenty of parking
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo
3  Thank L1am29
Reviewed 22 January 2017

We decided to stay at The Skelwith Bridge as there was a nice easy walk from the Hotel to Elterwater and it was close enough to drive to Ambleside. The price wasn’t too bad at £81.00 B & B for the two of us and there was ample free parking. Our room was at the front of the hotel and had a great view and it was quite spacious.

Unfortunately for us there was a tour bus full of Oriental children and adults who were also staying the night…and they were very loud!!

The partitioning walls between rooms are very thin so you could hear every word spoken and every click of a glass on a table…..the main downer for me though was the plumbing….every time someone flushed their loo we had a 10 second rush of water as their cistern was refilled….and this went on throughout the night.

The dining room for breakfast is nice and airy and a good selection was provided, however we both asked for the poached smoked haddock and were told it wasn’t available.

All in all, the staff were cheerful and friendly, the hotel has some nice seating areas where we sat and played cards and had a drink, but we wouldn’t go back.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple