“"When it goes wrong they put it right!!"”

Holiday Inn Hull Marina
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Having registered for a University Open Day for my daughter on the 10th April 2012, I found myself unsure of where to stay in Hull, despite residing in the city for the early part of my life.
Despite its city status, Hull is devoid of any mainstream premium accommodation, however having previously stayed at this marina based establishment prior to its adoption by the IHG group, I put my trust in the Holiday Inn reputation, and opted for a 2 night stay over the weekend. I made the reservation directly with the hotel, and booked 2 executive non-smoking rooms c/w balconies, and many thanks to Alison for her efforts in this regard.
Unfortunately, when we arrived on the Friday evening, I was informed at check-in that the rooms previously assigned to us had been re-allocated, and that this may have something to do with a wedding party booking for the Saturday evening. I explained to Catherine (Supervisor) that I had confirmed all these issues at the point of booking, and that the confirmation had been given to me in recognition of my Ambassador status and my wife's Platinum status. Despite the fact that it was a Friday evening, people were beginning to arrive en mass, and Catherine (seeming to be a little overstretched) sought further assistance from the Duty Catering Manager (Thomas) in resolving my problem.
While I went to the car to finish unloading, they studied the computer system for an answer, and some 5 minutes later, confirmed my re-assignment to two rooms as originally requested.
Their actions in this regard were sympathetic, courteous and professional throughout, and the 'blip' was corrected without the need for any unpleasantness.

The rooms were on the 3rd floor of the hotel, and were excellent for the purpose. Each had a sofa and chair, along with a decent sized bathroom and tub. The rooms were clean and airy, and each had a balcony, though the room on the corner had the larger of the two. The views of the marina were excellent, along with those of the Humber and surrounding area.
Having stayed in a similar room before, it offers a central yet tranquil option for those visiting the city, and the hotel is a mere 300m or so from the Princes Quay shopping mall and circa 500m from the city centre. There are numerous eating establishments close by, ASK being directly across the road from the hotel, though we opted for an Italian meal at Paulo's (situated in the Old Custom House), a 5-10 minute walk but well worth it.
Breakfast was included in the price of the rooms, and did not disapoint. Continental and full English options were available, along with a selection of fruits and pastries. The dining area adjacent to the old dock area is particularly nice, especially with the doors open on a pleasant Sunday morning.
Car parking is free of charge and in a secure lot behind the hotel, though there are additional limited spaces available at the front of the building if you are lucky enough to find one.

All in all, a good quality weekend hotel, with particularly helpful and friendly staff.

Many thanks to all during our stay.

MCB

Room Tip: Choose a top floor corner executive c/w sofa - at circa GBP 78.00 per night, they are excellent valu...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Whitfis, Owner at Holiday Inn Hull Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2012

Thank you for taking the time to complete your review of the Holiday Inn Hull Marina after your recent stay. We really do appreciate your feedback, I have discussed all your stay with the management team and all concerened, I am really sorry to learn that we did not get it right first time, please be assured that these issues have been addressed and re-training has happened. I am however pleased to note that we managed to put things right, customer feedback is really important to us, as it is a way by which we can improve the service we offer. Once again thank you for taking the time to complete your review and I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel in the near future.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 22 March 2012

Good location. Just cross the street and walk downtown.
Food is OK but nothing fantastic, you are better off crossing the street and going to ASK (italian restaurant) or any other restaurant in town, But Great breakfast.
Room are completly outdated. It looks like that you are on a 60's movie...But they are clean and confortable. NIce oustide. Good exercise room.
Staff is nice, although some times could use some training. An example: They can not contact house cleaning to see if there is anyone leaving, so you could get into your room before the official check-in time.
I would stay agian because of Location

Room Tip: Ask for a room on 2nd or 3rdfloor, away from the street.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Whitfis, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hull Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2012

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your recent stay here at the Holiday Inn Hull Marina, we do have an excellent location and I am pleased to note your positive comments about breakfast, staff and the cleanliness of the room. I do however take on board your comments about the room, we do have a continual programme of refurbishment in the Hotel which will see further updates of our bedrooms. Once again thank you for taking the time to complete your review and I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 21 March 2012

My friend and I stayed her in Feb 2012 whilst visiting Hull New Theatre. We got a lovely Marina view room and it was very spacious. The hotel is really close to the town centre and ASK Italian is just across the way. The breakfast on the morning was 1st class with pastries, cereal and full english spot on we will be back.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your recent stay here at the Holiday Inn Hull Marina, we really appreciate your comments and I am pleased to read that you had a good stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 14 March 2012

Good, friendly service. Room clean - but maybe just looking a bit tired. I had a nice view of the marina. Expensive for what you get. More than adequet breakfast, very friendly staff. Bar a bit pricey, but 10% discount available with their priority club card. Bar food good price and just fine at the end of a busy day. I did not use the spa facilities. Good location for the old town.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to give us your comments about your recent stay here at the Holiday Inn Hull Marina, we really do appreciate customer feedback. I take on board your comments about the property, we do have a continual programme in place with regards to the update of the Hotel. Once again thank you and I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 5 March 2012

First ever stay in Hull and I think we probably got the right hotel. Conveniently situated close to the A63(to close) and next to the marina. The city centre is only a short walk where there are bars and restaurants. The hotel was very reasonably priced and included breakfast. If I stayed here again I would make sure I got a room NOT overlooking the A63, road traffic noise all night, another case for secondary double glazing!! The food was pretty standard but fine, we only had breakfast, it would have been nice if we had been asked, as other guests were, if we would like boiled/poached eggs, kippers or porridge ! We didn't discover this was the case until we halfway though our breakfast.
Al the staff we met were very friendly and a credit to IHG.
All in all a good stay.

Room Tip: If you don't like road traffic noise, and I can't think anybody would, get a room overlookin...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Whitfis, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hull Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments about your recent stay here at the Holiday Inn Hull Marina. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay, and have passed your comments on about the staff. We are in a good location in the city centre and very local for all the amenities, I am however sorry to read that your where kept awake by the traffic noise, we have in our plans to replace all windows on that side of the hotel. I have also noted your comments about breakfast and please be assured that the Restaurant Manager has spoken with all staff, to ensure that this is explained to every guest, upon arrival at breakfast. Once again thank you for taking the time to complete your review and I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel in the future.