“Will not be back!”

Osteria Italian Restaurant
Price range: US$ 7 - US$ 28
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Was not impressed with the food or service! We had booked a table for 10 of us and had to pre order which was fine.

When we got to the restaurant the staff got shirty as we had originally booked for 12 but we had cancelled 2 of them before we pre ordered. As we sat down a waiter came over quite abruptly and asked what the 2 who had cancelled had ordered after we had already previously told them we only ordered 10 meals.

It then took a good 10 minutes for someone to come and take out drinks order and to be fair to the young lad he was the best server working that night (young lad, dark hair).The drinks arrived quickly after that and all was ok.

We had ordered a garlic bread and a tomato bread to share for a starter and it took over half an hour to come out and when they did they were cold but by this time we were all too hungry to care.

About 10 minutes after the starters were cleared the mains came out and me and other of the party had ordered the chicken Pizza, I was appalled it was lacking meat, 10 pieces of cheap looking chicken max, and had a drizzle of bbq sauce and very thin layer of cheese. It was so bland there was no other seasoning and to be honest I have had better takeaway pizzas. My mum and boyfriend had calzones which were again pretty tasteless and looked to have cheap meat inside. They also complained it was cold. My dad had a risotto and said it was bland and tasteless.

We weren't checked on during our meal and when we asked for the bill at the end the abrupt lad was very short when we asked to spilt the bill.
The whole staff atmosphere other than the young dark haired lad all seemed they couldn't care less about us.

For the price of the food they seem to use cheap ingredients and the food lacks flavour! Not authentic italian at all and i would recommend other Italians in hull over here.. I shall not be going again.

2  Thank Emma9513

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Company booked me in the Cornmill hotel above the resteraunt. Thought I'd give it a try. I ordered the garlic mushrooms to start with the calzone for main.
Very happy with quality both. Pleasant staff and good value.
I will definitely go in again if I'm in the area.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Good, varied menu. Many High street Italian restaurants give you the basic choices between pasta and pizza, this restaurant gives plenty of alternatives. The staff were excellent, nothing was too much trouble, with a friendly smile. The garlic bread was some of the nicest I have ever had and the rest of the food was very tasty(ditch the cauliflower, or give it at least 5 more minutes, I couldn't get my knife through it.-smiley face).

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We booked a meal at Osteria with 20 people on the 30th March 2018, for my wife's 50th Birthday...!! We was given the Function room, which was lovely, for no extra cost & we Decorated it just as we wanted & had the room to ourselves all night...! Steff & all his staff were Absolutely fantastic..The food the service were all Exellent.. Everyone in our party are definitely come back again.. Thank you all at Osteria for making it one of the best Birthdays ever...!!! See you soon Jane & Darren Cawthorne x

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We visited with friends for a night out and catch up
We chose Osteria as it was mid way between us all and none of us had been previously
It was a bitter night outside so thankfully we had all put on warm clothes as although it was pleasant inside it was still nippy but as I said it was bitter outside and being busy the door was constantly open letting in the cold
Putting that to a side the staff were attentive without being overpowering and thankfully we were not addressed as "Guys" I hate that.... the menu was extensive and with some interesting variations to the usual Italian menu
All four of us ordered something different and when they arrived they all looked tasty and four clean plates were removed which says a lot
We decided to miss on the deserts on this occasion and opted for coffees ... this is were I felt a little let down as I have never had a coffee in an Italian restaurant before and not been given one of those almond biscuits which I love
So on this visit my rating is slightly down for this reason
Room for improvement on any subsequent visit which I'm sure we will have as still some interesting items on that menu to try