“Authentic Italian”
Review of La Follia

La Follia
Reserve with OpenTable
La Follia is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Description: Please note that this year we are open on: ☉ Christmas Eve ☉ Christmas Day ☉ Boxing Day ☉ New Year's Eve ☉ New Year’s Day
Reviewed 29 August 2018 via mobile

We have visited La Follia a number of times now and always have excellent food and service. Having spent a lot of time in Italy, this is my little bit of authentic Italy in Tunbridge Wells. The Lasagne is amazing! Highly recommend for a little piece of true Italian charm.

Reviewed 27 August 2018 via mobile

Having seen all the good reviews, we went for an evening meal a couple of weeks ago, but sadly I don’t think we'll be rushing back. The service couldn’t be friendlier which was its big plus point, but I love my Italian food and my meal was seriously the most disappointing I’ve had in a very long time. The pasta dish I chose wasn’t available so I was offered the next closest thing, which turned out to be two small cannelloni, quite seriously over cooked (soggy pasta) swimming in a ton of very off-putting pink tomato/béchamel sauce. My husband said his bolognese was tasty enough, but quite a small portion for the money. I really hope they were just having an off night and that the usual standard is better, because I’m all for supporting local businesses. But it wasn’t cheap and there are other good Italian restaurants in town. So I hope they read this review and look to improve where they need to. Being lovely and friendly is only one part of the whole. I’d suggest you also ditch the coloured plastic handled cutlery which is maybe okay for a cafe style lunch, but really doesn’t work when you are serving an evening meal.

3  Thank Soup_Dragon_66
Reviewed 25 August 2018

I really don't understand the great reviews. I was expecting something special, something authentically Italian even. The lady running the place was so nice and friendly and the service was great. There is a very good wine selection. Portions are large. Water was brought to the table right away. This much they get just right.

But the food :(

The shared cheese platter was ok, some decent Italian cheeses and warm bread but nothing at all to accompany it but one tiny cherry tomato. Poor presentation.

There was no possibility of ordering vegetable sides. Just salads, no broccoli or spinach or potatoes or anything like that. I was going to have the chicken breast, but was told it only came "with the vegetables it is cooked in" the escalope also came bare - so I was persuaded to have Gnocchi with a red pesto and black truffle. I got a bog bowl of Gnocchi swimming in oil and a quite flavourless pesto with no indication of truffles anywhere, no side dishes, no garnish.

The Gnocchi are not made on the premises.

They put cream in the carbonara, the greatest sin of all.

I genuinely make better Italian food at home. I hate saying that, I really really wanted to like this place but it was a huge let down.Sorry....

2  Thank RockerLondon_UK
Reviewed 12 August 2018 via mobile

I surprised my boyfriend for his 22nd as a meal out here, since we both are huge lovers of Italian food. This place did not disappoint, the food was absolutely fantastic and exactly how it should be in Italy (definitely recommend the arrabitaia and the bruschetta).

The fact you can choose your own pastas is also very unique and helpful, since my boyfriend had the ragu paired with penne and it was divine (the tubes basically held the sauce within them).

It was late, so we were also the only ones in the restaurant which added to the great one to one service. For dessert, we didn’t know what to go for so had the lemon one and the mint chocolate to share - also divine.

Definitely will be back!

1  Thank sunnycostin1
Reviewed 6 August 2018 via mobile

A lovely place with absolutely delicious and authentic Italian food. The service was excellent and very friendly