“Our visit for one night :-)”

Hubert House Guesthouse
Ranked #10 of 41 Dover B&B and Inns
“Our visit for one night :-)”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend stayed here for one night, as a stop between The Netherlands and Falmouth. We arrived a bit to early and in my opinion not greeted very welcome AT ALL "Come back at 4, you are way early.", and the door closed. It just wasn't friendly/welcoming and I got quite mad (didn't show it though).

So after walking through town and hanging in our car for about 2 hours we went inside at 4 and Peter was very friendly and helpful. The room was small, old and cosy but was perfectly fine and clean. If you are a bit big you might not be able to turn in the bathroom / toilet but for us it fitted ok.

We both slept good in the bed and breakfast was also pretty good, Peter asked us several times if we wanted extra :)

Overall a nice guesthouse, great location and Peter seems like a nice guy just a bit of service/welcoming improvements would be nice!

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Slovak first
FELIXSTOWE
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2012

Bad B&B experience. We had one smelly room and one ok room forn one night.
We had an early ferry [surely not unusual?]and were offered breakfast in our rooms. This turned out to be dry bread [inedible], overripe banana, underripe peaches [inedible] amongst other offerings.
Note credit card supplement of £2.50.

Worst of all, I was accused of taking soap dispensers and my credit card charged £10 without authorisation or my prior knowledge.

No bistro as advertised on website

Good location, near ferry terminal/castle

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Helen F
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

We stayed for one night. The Hubert is well-located: a 10 minute (uphill) walk to Dover Castle, 5 minutes to the downtown core, and 15 minutes to the white cliffs trail. Peter was a pleasant host, and the room was very clean and quiet.

I highly recommend staying there.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank b b
Caterham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2012

We stayed for one night during the week and this is easily the best hotel I have ever used for that purpose given the price. It had off street parking on site, the room was very well decorated (themed) in top condition and exceptionally clean with a large range of complimentary bathroom products as well as quality tea/coffee refreshements.
Although you could just about hear the occupants of the room upstairs moving about and some road traffic when a lorry went past (we were at the front of the property), this was all and and we were hardly distrubed at all by anythingit was a whole lot quieter compared to other popular chain hotels we have used where you can hear everything that passes along the corridor and doors slamming at all hours.
The location is perfect for walking to the castle and into town and would be entirely suitable for the ferry terminal too. The owner was courteous and polite, making sure we had everything we needed without being too fussy and intrusive. He kindly offered an alternative breakfast to suit my requirements. The breakfast was one of the best full English breakfasts I have ever enjoyed!! Check in/out was easy.
We will definitely use this hotel again if we are in the area and I highly recommend this as a perfect place to stay to anyone for any reason!

Room Tip: The Georgian Room was amazing - full canopied 4 poster bed and plenty of space.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Al270811
winnipeg
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012 via mobile

In an effort to understand my own experience here, I read through several previous reviews, paying particular attention to the negative reviews and the management responses. It seems like this is a good place to stay as long as you do everything on their schedule and don't complain about anything. I was in England on a walking holiday, and after a miserable day of walking in the rain, I just wanted to check in early and get my things dried out. Instead of a friendly greeting, I was met with "Why didn't you go to the pub for a drink?", "Where did you walk from?" and "Why would you do that?" as if the idea of a walking holiday was completely daft, even though they claim to cater to walkers and cyclists. While their information says that they serve breakfast from 0700 to 0900, I was essentially told that I would have breakfast at 0830. This appeared to be for their convenience, as their other guests had breakfast at the same time.

The only other problem was with the heating. I woke up absolutely shivering from the cold at 0445. Apparently no heat is provided to the rooms until 0600. My room was very small, but perfectly adequate for my needs for a one night stay.

The problem here appears to be one of attitude, as evidenced by the dismissive nature of management comments on negative reviews. If they can improve their responsiveness to customer needs, this will be an excellent place to stay.

• Stayed April 2012
4 Thank kimpete8
HubertHouse, Owner at Hubert House Guesthouse, responded to this review, 6 May 2012
in defence of actions sir, i may say, check in is 4pm. to 10.30pm. we are a guest house not a hotel// just thought if you were wet and cold why wait next to a closed door when there is a warm public house next door. shivering at the end of april in door at 4.45am is not real. some guests already sleep with their windows open. breakfast does normally start at 7.30am, i thought finding out what you been up to was a way of welcoming you and making you feel at home. very sorry , my guest house didn,t get on with winnpeg standards. i,m sorry we just can,t please everyone all the time,but we do try.