Hubert House Guesthouse
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
Ramada Dover(Whitfield)
View Hotel
The White Cliffs Hotel(St Margaret's at Cliffe)
View Hotel
All reviewsgeorgian roomdover castleb bwhite cliffssmall bagplace to staypub next doorcar parkthe location is perfectporridgethe white horse pubcastle hillpre cruise stayno liftrooms are comfortabletop floorlovely room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 June 2012

Bad B&B experience. We had one smelly room and one ok room forn one night.
We had an early ferry [surely not unusual?]and were offered breakfast in our rooms. This turned out to be dry bread [inedible], overripe banana, underripe peaches [inedible] amongst other offerings.
Note credit card supplement of £2.50.

Worst of all, I was accused of taking soap dispensers and my credit card charged £10 without authorisation or my prior knowledge.

No bistro as advertised on website

Good location, near ferry terminal/castle

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Helen F
Reviewed 20 May 2012

We stayed for one night. The Hubert is well-located: a 10 minute (uphill) walk to Dover Castle, 5 minutes to the downtown core, and 15 minutes to the white cliffs trail. Peter was a pleasant host, and the room was very clean and quiet.

I highly recommend staying there.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank b b
Reviewed 19 May 2012

We stayed for one night during the week and this is easily the best hotel I have ever used for that purpose given the price. It had off street parking on site, the room was very well decorated (themed) in top condition and exceptionally clean with a large range of complimentary bathroom products as well as quality tea/coffee refreshements.
Although you could just about hear the occupants of the room upstairs moving about and some road traffic when a lorry went past (we were at the front of the property), this was all and and we were hardly distrubed at all by anythingit was a whole lot quieter compared to other popular chain hotels we have used where you can hear everything that passes along the corridor and doors slamming at all hours.
The location is perfect for walking to the castle and into town and would be entirely suitable for the ferry terminal too. The owner was courteous and polite, making sure we had everything we needed without being too fussy and intrusive. He kindly offered an alternative breakfast to suit my requirements. The breakfast was one of the best full English breakfasts I have ever enjoyed!! Check in/out was easy.
We will definitely use this hotel again if we are in the area and I highly recommend this as a perfect place to stay to anyone for any reason!

Room Tip: The Georgian Room was amazing - full canopied 4 poster bed and plenty of space.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Al270811
Reviewed 28 April 2012 via mobile

In an effort to understand my own experience here, I read through several previous reviews, paying particular attention to the negative reviews and the management responses. It seems like this is a good place to stay as long as you do everything on their schedule and don't complain about anything. I was in England on a walking holiday, and after a miserable day of walking in the rain, I just wanted to check in early and get my things dried out. Instead of a friendly greeting, I was met with "Why didn't you go to the pub for a drink?", "Where did you walk from?" and "Why would you do that?" as if the idea of a walking holiday was completely daft, even though they claim to cater to walkers and cyclists. While their information says that they serve breakfast from 0700 to 0900, I was essentially told that I would have breakfast at 0830. This appeared to be for their convenience, as their other guests had breakfast at the same time.

The only other problem was with the heating. I woke up absolutely shivering from the cold at 0445. Apparently no heat is provided to the rooms until 0600. My room was very small, but perfectly adequate for my needs for a one night stay.

The problem here appears to be one of attitude, as evidenced by the dismissive nature of management comments on negative reviews. If they can improve their responsiveness to customer needs, this will be an excellent place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2012
4  Thank kimpete8
HubertHouse, Owner at Hubert House Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2012

in defence of actions sir, i may say, check in is 4pm. to 10.30pm. we are a guest house not a hotel// just thought if you were wet and cold why wait next to a closed door when there is a warm public house next door. shivering at the end of april in door at 4.45am is not real. some guests already sleep with their windows open. breakfast does normally start at 7.30am, i thought finding out what you been up to was a way of welcoming you and making you feel at home. very sorry , my guest house didn,t get on with winnpeg standards. i,m sorry we just can,t please everyone all the time,but we do try.

Reviewed 28 April 2012

Good place to go if you like family-run places with character. Well run and clean. The parking areas a little tricky getting into (beware the low wall - epsecially in the dark) but there is plenty of other parking in that area of Dover.

The hotel is a tall townhouse - so maybe not suited to those with limited mobility.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo