“Ok but points need addressing!”
Review of St. George Hotel

and 1 more site!
St. George Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Chatham
Reviewed 23 October 2011

Went to a function with friends and we stayed overnight.  When I rang and booked all of our rooms some months I was assured of a river view, this did not happen, We overlooked the rooftop car park, similarly we were quoted a small 'group' discount when booking and this was disputed on arrival.   The room was large and had a separate loo and bathroom which was different.   The food at the function was very good.
The service in the bar and the breakfast restaurants left a lot to be desired!
At breakfast next morning, Whilst serving my husband his cooked breakfast, the waitress knocked the toast he was buttering out of his hand and onto the  floor, just a very quick muffled sorry and no replacement - these things happen but you would expect to be asked if you would  like more!   A man also turned up for breakfast in his pyjamas, not really acceptable!
Also, when ordering tea and coffee in the bar, we were served cups only and had to ask for saucers.
The bars ran out of fiz for the soft drinks dispenser in the afternoon and throughnto the evening, not good when catering for over 100 people!
Have had many short breaks and this is the first time I've felt I need to have a moan but do feel my comments are valid.

Room Tip: if you want a river view, get it in writing!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sarona
rasfishfish, Manager at St. George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2011

We are sorry you had some issues with your stay, we will look into all of your problems and address them as soon as possible.

I would be grate full if you could email the hotel with the date of your stay so we could identify the staff involved for retraining.

kind regards

Reviewed 7 October 2011

I have stayed at the St George twice this year for periods of 4 nights while I have been working in Rochester. As a woman on my own I feel completely safe there. Staff are friendly and helpful and the rooms are simply but tastefully furnished. I now look forward to having an evening meal in the bar; the food is amazing - good quality and beautifully cooked and served. The hotel does get busy with evening functions but I can understand its popularity.
I look forward to staying there again providing current standards are maintained.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business

Thank you very much for your kind review, we do hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 12 August 2011

1. Parking was difficult - there were weddings that had taken all the spaces and even blocked the access to parkings so manouevrability was poor A second propose parking was difficult to access, then three flights of extremely narrow and steep steps to access the entrance to parking - However when I unfortunately realised that I had to risk my life to go down to the car again via the narrow steps -with no handrail in parts, I asked staff if a space had become free in the top parking and fortunately found one. NB: there are funny kerb blocks you don't see that scrapes under your car when you think you still have 20more cm to go...so look carefully unless you want underneath the bumper of your car taken off.
2. The room was a single room with a tiny single bed and was tiny..however bed was sloped so when lying down you had the feeling you were going to roll out onto the floor from the side. I pulled the bed away from the wall and then tried to use more of the part of the bed the side of the wall so as not to roll "downhill"
3. As there were weddings being hosted in the hotel it was very noisy and difficult to sleep noise coming from outside and inside the hotel and the booom booom bump of the music meant it was difficult to get to sleep.
4.. Bathroom small and functional Breakfast not tested. No internet access but was tired so couldn't be bothered to ring for help/codes.
I stayed one night. I won't stay again as I value actually getting some sleep in a hotel!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank frenchconnection01
rasfishfish, Manager at St. George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2011

I would have expected some sort of letter or comment on check out about your problems but as of the 24th August we have not had any correspondence from you other than this online review.

The stairs to our over flow car park have a metal hand rail all the way from top to bottom apart from a 1.5 meter flat section, sorry you found this so frightening.

The roof car park has raised curbs to prevent cars from hitting the wall, they are there for your own safety and are no different to parking next to a pavement.

Single rooms all have a standard single bed in, I am sorry it was sloping if you had let us know we would have changed your room .

We do have weddings on Saturdays nights untill 12am, sorry if you were not informed on booking.

Wifi is free and available through out the hotel via a code.

Many thanks

Reviewed 29 July 2011

We recently stayed at the St George as it was our sons graduation in Rochester so this was an ideal spot being a short walk away from the Cathedral.
From the moment I telephoned to book the rooms Eileen the receptionist couldn`t have been more helpful. I had to ring to change things around on a few occasions as we were booking four rooms but nothing was toomuch trouble.
Rooms were large and clean, ideal for an overnight sray.
Food in the bar was better than we have had in some restaurants and a fraction of the price !
Breakfast was included, things could slightly be improved here but again the staff were excellant, especially the young lad that served us, again nothing was too much trouble.
Overall I would recommend this hotel either for an overnight stay in Rochester or a business trip.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for your review, hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 5 June 2011

From the moment we arrived the staff were friendly, polite and helpful. The room was clean and the beds comfortable. The view of the Medway was spectacular. The breakfast was well cooked and promptly served. It is one of the friendliest hotels I have stayed in for a long time and I would not hesitate to recommend it to others.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the river as high as possible.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
rasfishfish, Manager at St. George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2011

Many thanks, we hope to see you again soon

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chatham
1.1 km away
2.6 km away
Ship & Trades
Ship & Trades
#6 of 6 in Chatham

Been to St. George Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK