All reviewsthe pubco opnautical themehistoric dockyardstayed here for one nightcar parkwould stay againvisiting chathamfull english breakfastgood sizenice staysaturday nightcomfy bedcooked breakfastan evening meallovely roommember of staff
Reviewed 29 September 2010

Cycling up from Dover to London this proved to be an excellent stop over with a super restaurant and bar, large rooms and a storage room for our bikes. Maybe my bathroom would benefit from a lick of paint but my companions room had been recently done and was even better. Maybe the scrambled eggs weren't as good as how I make them but the breakfast was perfectly acceptable. I have read some of the older reviews and I think they are now dated as they have a proper reception area, its all clean and tidy and I would recommend for sure.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 June 2010

my wife and i stayed here for two nights while travelling through kent and found the ship and trades to be an excellent place to stay,the location was just right for exploring the surounding area,the room, was clean and comfortable,the food was great,and all of the staff we encountered were friendly helpful and polite.we were made to feel welcome from the moment we checked in [at the separate reception desk] to when we left and we would not hesitate to recommend this establishment to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 October 2009

Whilst the sheets and towels were lovely and clean - the room was shabby, dirty carpet; old decaying bathroom; dirty corridor walls. On checking in I questioned the cost of the room as more expensive booking through internet; female assistant manager quite indifferent to my queries. We were told breakfast would be in the upstairs room but there was no-one there. Man who turned out to be the Manager saw us wandering around obviously needing help but ignored us. Did have an excellent breakfast thanks to lovely female chef and waitress. Noisy room due to extractor fans underneath and noisy early morning deliveries.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank marigoldKent
Reviewed 14 September 2007

This place may well have been the last word in post-indiustrial designer gastro-pubbery when it was converted (in the 90s, I would guess). But now it is looking quite sad, as though all the energy and the people with the bright ideas have long ago moved on.

On a recent visit the staff were disinterested, the carpets grubby, the lift smelly, the paint chipped and dirty and everything generally looked worn out and in need of refurbishment.. My room (no 2) was large and pretty well equipped, though the sink was the size of half a dinner plate and no use for anything (maybe because the bathroom was kitted out for wheelchair access - but why should that mean no-one can wash properly?). Beneath my window was a very noisy aircon unit (?) which stayed on all night and would drive you mad in summer with the windows open. Breakfast was pathetic - a surly young girl, cavernous room, blaring music and scrambled eggs that looked and tasted like bits of expanded polystyrene sprayed yellow. Very poor.

On the plus side the rooms are large, the location is great, £60 for B&B seemed reasonable, and they do a decent pint of Shepherd Neame plus adequate bar food. If they sorted out the decor and service, they could charge £80 and hold their heads high. Shame that they don't.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
4  Thank Tlentifini
Reviewed 3 September 2007

Myself and my girlfriend stayed here for one night in September when attending a friends wedding in the town. Our first impression of the hotel was somewhat lacklustre.

Upon arriving we initially didn't spot the hotel as it looked more like a shed with corrugated steel walls and roofing. Whilst I was aware that the hotel didn't have a separate reception (from reviews on tripadvisor), I wasn't quite aware of the extent of this and you really do have to compete with people trying to buy a drink at the bar, which to put you in the picture is actually a completely separate pub from the hotel.

The staff upon check in were far from welcoming, more comparable to uninterested bar staff (which is essentially what they were) than a proper hotel check in. Had we actually needed any kind of guidance or advice on the area I doubt they would have helped beyond pointing to the coop next door.

However, when we received our key the room was well presented. It was spotlessly clean and did not resemble in the slightest its external appearance. It literally was like night and day. The rooms were of a good size and the bed comfortable with the usual basic facilities of tea/coffee, kettle, biscuits, towels and shower gel etc. provided. As there were a number of us staying I saw several rooms and ours was not unrepresentative of the standard of accommodation.

Overall I would say we were pleased with the accommodation but, whilst it wasn't too much of an issue for our stay, the service left a little to be desired.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Nick_LHR