“unacceptable and very disappointing”
Review of Ship & Trades

Ship & Trades
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Chatham
Reviewed 4 September 2017

I had dinner with my friend the other day and it is sad to say I won't be returning anytime soon. The starters tasted ok but it took longer then it should have done for some olives and bread. My friend recommend the butter milk chicken for mains. However, when it came out she said it was nothing like what she had. The chicken was undercooked and it still had veins running though every peace. I asked a waitress and she said it was meant to be like that??!!?? I then asked if I could have the pizza instead and it took 40 minuets until that came out, even then it was burnt. lucky I filled up on bread, olives and sweet potato fires to keep me from starving until then.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Squid F
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 3 September 2017

The wife and I stopped at The Ship & Trades recently whilst shopping at the Dockside outlet centre.
Not been before but the sun was out and we managed to blag a table outside.
Very much a Shepherd Neame pub (and hotel - who knew?), decor is sort of modern maritime.
Tried, for the first time, Shepherd Neame's Spitfire Lager - not bad at all. They also had 'Whitstable Bay' lager on tap. Tried a pint but it was no where near cold enough so back to Spitfire.
I had rack of ribs & my wife had bangers and mash. All OK. Standard pub grub, cooked well & presented nicely.
Only criticisms of this place - they had run out of certain dishes when we tried to order (no fish and chips/steak & ale pies). Also really slow clearing tables of plates and empties.
Appreciate this was a bank holiday weekend but A) Have enough of the whole menu to provide for the extra custom B) Get a few more staff in to help clear up due to being busier than normal.
Other than that all good & we shall return, maybe.

Room Tip: We only ate here. Standard pub fare served in a 'fend for yourself' style.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2017

We popped in here after work as it was nice and sunny so wanted to sit outside with a glass of wine and eat dinner. We both ordered burgers as the lunchtime menu had finished (I much prefer the lunch menu). Burgers came over cooked, had the most over powering relish with burnt buns. I had one bite and left mine. Sweet potato fries were lovely. I used to love it here but the last 3 visits haven't been nice so won't be eating there again as it's not exactly cheap either.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2017 via mobile

We have eaten at the bar and restaurant in the Hotel several times over the last 3 years in both small and large groups at quiet and busy times. Each time it seems to be getting worse and it only survives by its excellent location and lack of local gastro pub competition. The operators - Shepherd Neame have other good pubs and they need to take urgent action to vastly improve service. The speed of service is glacial , 4 hours for 3 courses recently. The food is overpriced and poor quality. The staff are young and inexperienced and left to make weak excuses for poor service by invisible management.
We will encourage all thinking of going there to think again and use the other family restaurants in the Dockside retail area.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank blueman7089
Reviewed 16 August 2017

my friend is gluten intolerant so can't have any bread. She ordered a burger without a bun.. they brought her out a veggie burger covered in bread crumbs, when she sent it back the young girl told her it's what she ordered so that was sent back. She then ordered a olive / humus gluten free bread board. The stick veg int the humus was about 3 days old and turning brown so that was sent back!
My other friend ordered a normal burger & chips. the burger came out cremated!
I had a prawn sandwich, on my last bite I saw a hair on my plate!
when we complained about the food we were told.. It's ok i'm sure the food will be better next time! no apology or mention of a refund or money off!!
There will be no next time

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lisa-luan A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chatham
0.6 km away
8.9 km away
The Inn on the Lake
The Inn on the Lake
#1 of 1 in Shorne

Been to Ship & Trades? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK