All reviewsthe pubco opnautical themehistoric dockyardstayed here for one nightcar parkwould stay againvisiting chathamfull english breakfastgood sizenice staysaturday nightcomfy bedcooked breakfastan evening meallovely roommember of staff
Reviewed 28 July 2017

We have just spent 2 nights here with family members attending our son's graduation ceremony. The location next to the marina is excellent and attractions such as the Historic Dockyard within easy walking distance. The staff were very attentive and the food, especially breakfast were superb. The rooms are a good size. We particularly like the exec rooms with a view over the marina.
We would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the water
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 July 2017

The stay started well, we arrived early and luckily enough our room was ready, girl on reception was very helpful. We had a superior river view room which was pleasant enough. Walked out on the balcony / terrace and realised all the seating cushions were soaking wet, so we couldn't sit out and went down to the bar. Queued behind a couple getting served and after the barman had given them their drinks he promptly turned his back on me and began fiddling with straws. I waited patiently but despite seeing one of the other staff bring his attention to me, he didn't turn round. So in the end I had to ask if he was actually working or not. Took 2 menus with the drinks back to the table and a few minutes later went to order some food only to be told rather bluntly by a young girl that I had to wait until 12 as brunch had finished at 11, 3 minutes ago!

We drank up and left, having lunch/brunch elsewhere. We had pre booked a table for the evening and that proved to be no better, food was warm at best, congealed gravy and service poor, first time in years I have not left a tip.

Breakfast the next morning (pre paid or we wouldn't have bothered) was awful, bacon salty, both my fried eggs were broken, my wife asked for a poached egg and her whole breakfast was inedible as everything including the toast was soaked in vinegar water. At least the young girl who served us was pleasant, unlike the chef who I said good morning too and got completely blanked by.

In short if you want decent food, service and a terrace you can use without swimming trunks, then don't stay here. The hotel can thank the reception girl on Saturday for the extra star!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GingerBiffer
Reviewed 20 July 2017

Been a regular visitor to the Ship & Trades for years but not sure if this will continue. To be honest, tended to be for the beer (Shepherd Neame), and view more than anything although the food can be good - just recently though food quality seems to be getting too bad for the view to make up for. Visited yesterday for an impromptu lunch with my wife - lots of items on the menu unavailable (this was at 2.00pm when they are open all day). Ordered ham egg and chips for myself and scampi for my partner. Waited for 15mins for our food to arrive only to then be told by a very apologetic staff member that the ham egg and chips had run out too. I changed my order to scampi which then arrived after another 15 mins - scampi luke warm and salad wilted not impressive for £10.
Went up to bar to buy another round and by this time the normally helpful staff seemed to be losing interest took another 5 mins while food getting even cooler. Oh and by the way, don't forget to visit the hotel reception to register your car reg if you are staying over 2 hours or you will end up with a £100 ticket!
All I can say is the management team need to get a grip or even the beer and view will not be enough to entice me back!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2017 via mobile

What a lovely hotel. Our view was so nice. Staff excellent and food very nice. Close to shops, plenty of parking and a convenience store next door, if you forget anything. Would defiantly stay here again. Could not fault.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2017 via mobile

Well what a waste of a morning that was, the bar thing that was serving watched as we picked up menus and took our seat outside to make our decision , then waited for us to come to the bar about 10 minutes later and tell us th y stopped breakfast 2 minutes ago and lunch doesn't start until 12...then just walked off like a wobble.. terrible absolutely terrible.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends