“What I expect from Best Western” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel

Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Canterbury
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“What I expect from Best Western”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2012

I have stayed at Abbots Barton on a number of occasions and also used it for meetings. It's in a lovely secluded setting very close to Canterbury city centre and I recommend it for the standard of room and also the food. It has a lovely library area, perfect for sitting for a quiet drink and a read.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
abbotsgm, General Manager at Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this review, 15 August 2012
Thank you for your review.

We are very pleased to know that you enjoyed your visit and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Kind regards

Christine Cooper
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Ferndown
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

Recently spent a two night stay at this hotel whilst on business in Canterbury. This hotel does not deserve its current three star rating. The view from our Room was appalling. We overlooked an incomplete hotel extension where work appears to have stopped, rubbish bins, a derelict shed with collapsed roof, overgrown weeds and an area of muddy ground churned up by delivery vans.
We also had to contend with a large and very noisy extractor pipe which operated from 6.30am to 11pm at night.
Our room was very hot and the bed unbelievably hard and extremely uncomfortable.
At breakfast on the first morning we were told the hotel did not have any marmalade!
At breakfast on the second morning we were shown to a table where scrambled egg had been upset on the wooden floor which I slipped on as I sat down. When we pointed this out to the waiter he didn't seem to understand as he then picked up my handbag from under the table thinking it had been left there by another guest!
Bar service was another issue. A notice stated that for bar service during the afternoon, go to reception. I went to reception asking for a soft drink from the bar and a radio messsage was issued for a member of staff to go to the bar. I returned to the bar and waited five minutes. I then returned to reception stating that I was still waiting for service. Another radio message was issued and I waited several more minutes before finally giving up.
The carpets in the corridor between Reception and the Fountain Restaurant were filthy.
This hotel would need to carry out significant improvements before I could be persuaded to stay again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Jan R
abbotsgm, General Manager at Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2012
Thank you for your comments on your 2 night stay last month.

I would like to offer my sincere aplogies with regard to the back of the hotel area. This is due very soon to be under construction for a new extension for the hotel, therefore I do agree it is not the best view, however I can assure you that this is being dealt with by the owners of the hotel.

The carpets in the public areas are clean, these are due for renewal.The majority of our bedrooms and the main corridor to the function suite carpets have just been renewed, so the public areas you mentioned are next on the list. With the hotel being busy, we have to work around our guests to cause the least disruption possible.

Apologies also for the service you received during breakfast and at the bar, this is not our normal standard and I will investigate your comments fully.

Regards

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

I recently spent one night at Abbots Barton when I was down in Canterbury for my daughter's Graduation. The hotel is very centrally situated with beautiful grounds in front, not quite so nice round the back where there was a very unfinished look - unfortunately that was the view I had from my window. Didn't matter as it was only a short stay.
Check in was fast, smooth and friendly.
The room itself was lovely, very clean and well maintained as were the Reception area and corridors. Bathroom was equipped with toiletries and was spotlessly clean. Bed and pillows were very comfortable. Plenty of hanging space in the wardrobe. Tea, coffee, hot chocolate and biscuits were provided in the room which was much appreciated on returning from the ceremony at 11pm.
I wasn't able to have breakfast as I had to get up at 4am to drive back to Surrey for a conference but I could have ordered from a selection of lovely-sounding sandwiches which were available on 24 hour room service .
Reception staff were very polite and friendly throughout.
I was really sorry not to be able to stay longer but I will book again when I am down next year.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
abbotsgm, General Manager at Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2012
I would like to say thank you for your review, we are very pleased to know you enjoyed your short visit to Canterbury and the Abbots Barton.

We are due very soon for the back area of the hotel to be developed, hence why it is not at it's best at the moment.

I do hope that you will stay with us again, we may even have the new extension completed.

Kind regards

Bournemouth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

Called hotel at 10am and managed to get a room for that night. Room a double , nicely decorated and comfortable. The en-suite was small but adequate . Had a meal in restaurant , very nice, helpful staff.

Ideally located for Canterbury centre.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
abbotsgm, General Manager at Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this review, 21 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your visit to the hotel.

My team and I are very pleased you enjoyed your stay, we do hope that should you come to Canterbury in the future, you will book again at the Abbots Barton.

Best regards

Isle of Skye, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

First of all the check in. I checked in with a colleague and we were the only people in the reception area at the time. My colleague was checked in efficiently although no smile from the receptionist. My check in was problematic. They couldn't find my reservation despite it having been booked by the same corporate agent as my colleague's. "No you have no reservation" I was told. I produced my reservation email and suddenly the issue was that I had already checked in. No I hadn't! Then they tried to give me a single room when our government contract is for double rooms for single occupancy. I had to insist and was given the correct standard of room - reluctantly.

The room itself was fine, although the decor is rather dated, patterned carpets and wall paper. Also synthetic duvet and pillows which are not to my taste. The bathroom was OK but the shower over the bath wasn't great as the shower head holder was broken. However overall it was OK.

Breakfast was nice with a very friendly and efficient waiter. Food was good although a wider choice of fresh fruit would have been appreciated. OJ was a bit watery.

So overall it was fine, nothing special and definitely a rather cool welcome on check in.

Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
abbotsgm, General Manager at Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this review, 19 July 2012
Thank you for your comments with regard to your stay at the hotel. We value feedback from our guests in order to deliver excelllent customer service and to improve where it is needed.

I am sorry you felt reception was not a happy one, this is very unusual as we normally have a good team spirit. As for your booking, apologies, as this was an error on our part and the booking agent, I am please that we were able to rectify the situation.

The bedrooms are decorated in a traditional style which compliments the Gothic style of the rest of the hotel.Aplogies with regard to the broken shower holder, it has been reported to the maitainance department.Unfortuantely, we do not offer feather pillows and duvets, due to allergies.

We are pleased you enjoyed your breakfast, we feel we have a good range of products with both fresh and dried fruits and a wide range of breakfast choices from the menu.

Once again, many thanks from my team and I.

Best regards