“OK, but not very romantic!!!”

Abbots Barton Hotel
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Canterbury
Colchester
“OK, but not very romantic!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

We stayed on Saturday 11th Feb (Valentines's Weekend) We hadn't booked it as such but nearer the time on the website it advertised it as such (and in the lift) that dinner would be by candle light. Although we hadn't booked that, we kind of though some tables would have candles on them - NO!!! - nothing at all to resemble Valentines at all.

We booked a table for 7. We were the only ones in the restaurant. We received our starter at 7.45, to be told, sorry about the delay but we have a wedding on".

I think our room was in the new part of the building although it was very creaky and you could hear everthing. I could even hear the person in the next room snoring during the night. The bed was hard and so were the pillows. I don't think that either of us got any sleep!! My partner has slight hearing problems and usually we have the subtitles on the TV so not to distube other people - although it was a new digital tv, it wouldn't work, it just kept saying "not available". We asked reception but they just said that the TV had probably not been connected to the remote!

Breakfast - well. I never really know what is best, buffett or freshly cooked. This was buffett, and nearly everyitng was empty. You just end up standing there waiting with somthing on your plate, which eventually goes cold.

The location is great for the City Centre but was a bit disappointed with the comfort and food.

As it was Valentines weekend my partner rang the hotel to try to arrange some flowers and wine to be delivered to the room, only to be told that we hadn't got a booking. We clearly had but had to spoil the surprise by telling me and having to re-check that we had booked. I didn't get my flowers or wine!!!!

We went to visit the Cathedrel, but it was £9.00 per person - we declined.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SarahColchester
abbotsgm, General Manager at Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the hotel.

I apologise for your dissapointment on the 11th February with regard to your evening meal.

True, the hotel had a wedding taking place and we did have a slight delay on all the guests sitting down for the function. The restuarant was not very busy on that evening, however,later on we had more tables booked. The tables were dressed with small tealight candles and red poses, which were given to the ladies when they left.

I am sorry that your room was not comfortable for you and your partner, I will ensure that this information is relayed back to the owners of the hotel. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

With regard to the TV, we do not have teletext subtitles, therefore this would not have been available and the TV was in working order.

Sunday morning breakfast is very busy, the buffet is constantly refilled and the waiting staff would have advised you on this. We do not overfill the buffet dishes as the food may get cold if not taken.We do offer a freshly cooked to order breakfast, this would be available from the menu card displayed on the buffet table.

The hotel does offer a romantic package with wine, chocolates and flowers, this has to be booked in advance. I believe the receptionist may have been confused with the type of boking you had made at the hotel which was for dinner, bed & breakfast, with no extras booked.

Sadly, you missed the visit to the wonderful Cathedral, I do hope, that should you get the chance to return, you and your partner do take the time to explore the historic city of Canterbury.

Thank you once again for your comments.

Christine Cooper
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Sussex, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

This is a converted Victorian Gothic manor, which has been clumsily extended and updated. The place is a poorly signed warren, and attempts to make the new part look "authentic" are poorly executed, and choices such as having a windowless dining room simply don't work. I was in a single room which was adequate, but with poor attention to detail - it was impossible to take a shower in the narrow bath, for instance, without a clammy shower-curtain clinging to you. The only high spot - an excellent breakfast - huge portions, food cooked to order - even the toast was warm! Whoever organises breakfast should be let loose on running the whole hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the hotel.

The Abbots Barton Hotel is a Gothic building and was built in 1830 as a private house. The new part (bedrooms & restaurant) have been designed to complement the exsisting building. The function room which looks out onto the lawn, was added in the 1930's.

All the hotel bedrroms are decorated in keeping with the period and are stylish with modern facilities.

The hotel holds the silver award for breakfast with Quality in Tourism,we very pleased you enjoyed it.

Chelmsford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

My husband and I only were able to stay just one night this weekend - how sorry we were! We can only say this hotel was faultless - the staff really could not do enough for us. We arrived early and were looked after and welcomed so well by Ian and this trend continued for 24 hours. The young Romanian duty manager and the lady on reception (sorry cannot remember their names - only one letter was different in both names!) were so kind and helpful it was a pleasure to be there. The breakfast was amazing - so fresh - all the time attention was given to see if eggs, bacon etc were filled and the gentleman who I presume was the head waiter, gave amazing service. The room was spotless and all cleaning staff greeted us with a smile. We have already recommended this hotel to friends and hope will return soon.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review.

My team and I are pleased your stay was enjoyable and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future

Newry
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2011

I stayed in this Hotel with work colleagues for 3 days in Dec 2011 and had a relaxing stay, the room was a single however spacious and adequate for my needs. Clean room, good shower and facilities, with a well stocked breakfast and friendly and efficient staff. The Hotel was quiet in the evenings hovever it is a short walk or taxi to central Canterbury for lively bars and a choice of restaurants. Would recommend.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank higadoconchianti
Thank you for taking the time to complete your review about the Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel, Canterbury.

My team and I were pleased that your stay was a pleasurable one and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Canterbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2011

Just had a really poor experience with a small conference at the Abbotts Barton hotel. On arrival the room wasn't ready - as the equipment we had booked hadn't been set-up. Went to ask for it and there was no one about except the receptionist who was busy settling bills - so had to queue up to speak to her in order to ask for the OHP.

When it was lunchtime we went to the restaurant which was totally empty. Even though we were 10 mins later than arranged the food wasn't ready. When the "hot and cold buffet" eventually arrived it was just some creamy chicken (which admittedly tasted nice), some mushrooms, boiled potatoes and carrots. Next to this was a side plate of halved catering pork pies.

Not exactly a hot and cold buffet at £16.50 per person. And we had already paid £150 for a room for the morning. Anyway we ate the chicken and potatoes and carrots. And then pudding arrived. It consisted of a tiny amount of some odd chocolate extrusion that basically looked utterly inedible - very few people eat it - or, as an alternative some coffee cups roughly (and frankly randomly) half-filled wth a scum-topped mousse - which they told us was panna cotta.

I asked at reception (there was no one else to be found) if this was really the £16.50 per head "hot and cold lunch buffet" and was told that they would make a note of our comments on our customer profile and arrange a different choice next time we came. Well, we only go to the Abbotts Barton twice a year - so that wasn't really much help.

And anyway - and after this won't be going there again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank A P
abbotsgm, General Manager at Abbots Barton Hotel, responded to this review, 28 November 2011
Thank you for writing a review with regards to your meeting.

I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused with the errors you incurred on Saturday. I have fully investigated the issues you have brought to my attention and the hotel's event co ordinator has addressed these with your conference booker directly.

Once again, the staff and I apologise, that on this occaision you were dissatisfied.

Regards