“A very quiet and comfortable guest house with great location”
Review of Magnolia House

Magnolia House
Magnolia House
Ranked #61 of 75 Canterbury B&B and Inns
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“A very quiet and comfortable guest house with great location”
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Would certainly recommend this guest house and would stay again. Comfortable bed, quiet room, dressing gowns provided and lots of nice personal touches. I had the smoked haddock for breakfast which was delicious.

Room Tip: We had room 5 which was a pretty room, quiet (which was important for us).
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Yeovil
Reviewed 16 June 2012

Arrived in the morning, made extremely welcome. House and rooms exceptionally decorated, very clean with everything you could wish for in the room. I would recommend the Magnolia house to anyone who want to stay in Canterbury.

• Stayed June 2012
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2012

The attention to detail that Isobelle creates is nothing short of amazing.
Clearly a love of providing a showcase of her tastes and styles, which in a privately owned B&B makes a nice change from chain properties.
Fantastic quality ingredients at breakfast and piping hot.
Very comfy bed in thre garden room - personal taste aside, an all round good package, would definately stay again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Serviceisessential
Chester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2011

My partner and myself stayed for a weekend break while visiting family and found this guest house totally exceeded our expectations. The host even taxi'd us to our event on our first evening there! I have to mention the breakfast...being vegetarian its great to see a full English veggie breakfast on the menu and the eggs are fresh daily from the owners chickens :-)
Will definitely go again as they have a great family room with a link though to a twin bedroom both providing a secure room for the children with the advantage of them not being in the same room!

Room Tip: Our room was quite small (room 3) but I noticed that the others were larger...the room at the front...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Helen S
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2011

My two friends and I stayed here for two nights (Friday and Saturday). On arrival we were offered a drink and were shown to our rooms (one single and one twin). Everything was very clean. The shower/bath was excellent but the shampoo, shower gel and conditioner were all in tall, narrow glass bottles which balanced precariously over the bath. My roommate knocked her ankle on the bed and when we lifted up the valance we discovered that the underbed drawer was stuffed so full of bedding that it had broken and was sticking out.
The whole house was full of bric – a – brac which made the place feel very cluttered. Upstairs there were superfluous mats and runners in the halls – a real trip hazard.
The breakfast was very tasty and there was good choice but I was roundly told off for putting our milk jug on the table (“use the mats please”) We noticed the other breakfast tables had tablecloths.

I pointed out to my hostess that the butter I had been given (individual butter dish with lid) had been used already and her apology was barely audible. The honey was in individual jars but they were sticky on the outside and then I realised that all the seals were broken and they were old jars that had all been refilled.

I would have discussed all of the above to the lady of the house but, apart from the fact that I was on a very special weekend with two friends and did not want there to be an “atmosphere”, our landlady was so surly and standoffish that, quite frankly, I did not feel inclined to talk to her at all. She actually only smiled at me when I handed her £110 for the two nights.

I would not recommend staying here unless the whole place was given a good clear out and the landlady cheered up a bit.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends