“Not getting any better”
Review of ABode Canterbury

ABode Canterbury
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Canterbury
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Stayed here again as there really isnt too much choice in Canterbury and my son has been at Uni here ......he has finished now so wont have to stay again!
The rooms are small and just not great.....rubbish wardrobes that look like a really bad DIY'er made them and you cant hang much in them as they are so small. Reception are nice and friendly but the bar service was really poor this visit...... was better on previous visits. The breakfast is always good freshly made and service is really very good.....shame the rooms let this place down as the location is great.........but you may not have much choice but to stay here!

Room Tip: Get a room on the back of the hotel....drunken students at 3am coming out of bars and clubs...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank STRINGERS
CanterburyAB, General Manager at ABode Canterbury, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, I am sorry that you don’t like our bedrooms. We offer 6 category of bedroom from our comfortable rooms all the way to our most enviable (junior suite) and the fabulous suites which has a roof terrace overlooking the Cathedral.
Thank you for your kind comments relating to the team and the quality of breakfast.
Regards

Reviewed 18 July 2012

My daughter and I recently spent two nights at the Abode Hotel, which is in the centre of the high street. The staff were extremely warm and friendly. The car park is very small and was full by the time we checked in. The staff were very helpful and gave us directions to a nearby public car park, which was also very secure. Our room was just lovely and had everything we needed. Coffee/tea making facilities, including some scrummy cookies (not the dreaded shortbread you get in most hotels). An iron and board! The beds were like giant marshmallows! Heaven! The bathroom was spacious and the shower was great. I loved the bar of soap so much, that I took it home with me!
We had a cocktail in the champagne bar, which is located just off the lobby. It's a lovely, comfortable room. Big leather sofas and a nice, relaxing atmosphere. We chose the continental breakfast, which we enjoyed. On the second evening, we had dinner at Michael Caines (the chef, not the actor) restaurant, which is in the hotel. The meal and service was exceptionally good. The Abode is a hotel I would feel very comfortable staying at if I was travelling alone. The staff made me feel at ease. It's also centrally located. It's the perfect hotel in the perfect spot!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 July 2012

We booked an Enviable room via the Adobe website as we wanted something a little bit special for a couple of nights. The room was described as a junior suite on the website with a seating area while the pictures showed a spacious apartment with sofa, chairs, etc. Staff were friendly and chatty at reception but maybe lacking in professionalism or lacking in professional boundaries. Upon entering our room we were less than impressed with the difference between the description and the reality. Seating area was a desk in one corner with a wooden chair which you would find in pretty much any hotel. The room was very nice and clean as was the bathroom but small and lacking that special touch that we were paying for. The reception staff threw in breakfast for free once we complained but even that was a disappointment. Cheap breakfast in the town was ten times nicer than the cold fare served in the hotel restaurant while even a bacon sandwich here was dry and burnt. As was the toast. The staff aren't exactly Linford Christie either making for lukewarm drinks and cold breakfast. Overall, wouldn't recommend to anyone except people I don't like. Not worth it for the money. Overrated and trades on Micheal Caines reputation but forgetting about the core purpose of a hotel.

Room Tip: Go for a cheaper room rather than Enviable or go to a Travel Lodge. Rooms aren't that different.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Boris D

Thank you fro taking the time to write your review. We do take great care to make sure the room types advertised on websites are an accurate representation of the category our guests book. I am sorry you feel this is not the case.
We do offer a very high standard of breakfast at the hotel, I apologise for the inconsistencies with the breakfast you received.
Regards

Reviewed 18 July 2012

My husband and I have stayed at this hotel twice and loved it both times. Perfect location being right on the door step of the town. Rooms modern and clean. Staff very helpful and friendly. Small car park and first time struggled to find it. We ate both times in the Taverna just down from the hotel very good food. Breakfast in the main restaurant very high standard. We would go again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2012

We were put up here after our original choice had overbooked. We arrived early off the train, so we had them take our bags and hold onto them until check-in at 2 pm. At check-in, the woman behind the counter tried to charge an extra £50 onto my card in case I was going to order anything. We were only staying for one night, so I couldn't understand why we would spend that much. Thankfully she asked just before she swiped my card, so I was able to say no to that.

When we arrived in our room, we were surprised at how small it was. I believe it was £155 for the night for the "Comfortable" room (we payed what we would have at our original hotel, which was less), and the room couldn't have been more than 15'l x 10'w. The bathroom was also on the small side, but not terribly small. We took a nap after having been up since 4:45 that morning, and the bed was very firm. I prefer a soft, pillow-top mattress, but you could feel the springs in theirs. Still, it was better than nothing.

Additionally, there was a basket of food and drinks on the table. I assumed it was free, perhaps a welcome basket. But alas there was a piece of laminated paper sticking out the back with prices for everything. This was my first time in a European hotel, and upon asking a family member they told me it's quite common to have such food in a hotel. It's frustrating to say the least.

I would not recommend showering in their showers, but rather take a bath. The tub is quite high, and although I'm not very short (5'6), I can see it being difficult to get in and out. Also, there's no curtain. You have a 2' long glass wall that you have to stay behind or else water will go everywhere. Which, for my fiancé and I, it did. Between the two of us, it looked like the bathroom floor was flooded. I would have liked to have had a shower curtain or something to pull across so we didn't ruin the floors. Also, some conditioner would have been nice. They provided two different lotions, but only one bottle of washing soap, which is meant for your body and hair.

It was a disappointing place. I can't comment on the included breakfast as we slept through that, but it might have been good. You pay for the location, which is essentially right in the middle of the city centre. The beds are stiff, the showers are messy, and it was a cramped room.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We do ask on check in if you would like to charge any items to your room and that a preauthorisation of £50 is charged to your card, which is refunded in the morning if not used.
Our beds are hand made vi-spring beds which are medium tension, as we feel this accommodates most of our guest’s preferences.
We do charge for the tuck box in the comfortable rooms, this is offered with our compliments in the most desirable, enviable and fabulous rooms.
We offer a range of bespoke toiletries from Arran Aromatics, we do not have a conditioner at the moment I will raise this with Arran Aromatics. We prefer to use a shower screen rather than a curtain as we feel this is more hygienic.
I appreciate your feedback, if returning to Canterbury do check availability on our website, as rooms are available from £99 depending on availability.
Best regards