“Great unexpected find”
Review of Hungry Bear

Hungry Bear
Ranked #210 of 728 Restaurants in Isle of Wight
Price range: US$ 3 - US$ 39
Description: A Family run friendly eatery/restaurant serving simple food done properly. Located on a medieval grange just outside Newport all our food is cooked fresh to order and locally sauced. We also cater for Veggie, Vegan and GF Bears... and Bear cubs are most welcome. There is relaxed atmosphere during the day when our guests can enjoy a #BearBreakfast, wholesome lunches and great selection of Nanna Bears cakes. In the evening we provide high quality food at an excellent value price, often proving themed evenings such as Seafood, Italian and French nights. Guests also have the option to dine alfresco in our historic courtyard. We are currently working towards our licence so BYBO is welcome.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We moved to the Isle of Wight about a year ago and have slowly explored various attractions, restaurants and pubs.(Well someone has to do it !) We were curious about visiting The Lavender farm one lunch time. The farm is accessed down a long farm track, and the eatery is part of several farm buildings. On entering we were warmly greeted by the new occupiers of the eatery who explained they had recently opened. We only popped in for a light lunch, but my attention was immediately caught by the tempura battered cod loin and my wife by the brunch. We were not disappointed. My fish was fantastic with flavoursome chips and batter. My wifes brunch was equally well prepared and tasty. We enjoyed it so much we booked to return for their "official opening" later in the month.

1  Thank Tim P

Reviewed 6 April 2018

First visit, was very impressed by the food, I had the half roast chicken which just fell off the bone.
Made to feel very welcome
Well worth a visit, if you get a chance.
Going to come and try their breakfast next :)

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

We hadn't been to The Hungry Bear before, but had heard good things about it, so decided to take advantage of the price is wight offer for Friday night and chips.
It clearly stated a choice of haddock, cod or hake, with mushy peas, home made bread and tea or coffee. We were told that our order of cod had been put through, but when I said it no, it's a choice, the slightly confrontational waitress didn't believe me and said, I'll have to check that with the chef. She came back and said, you are right but I wouldn't have advertised it like that. Ok, apology accepted. Next, I asked for the included cup of tea. She replied, " No, it doesn't include a drink". Again, she didn't believe me, but went and checked with the chef again. When she found out that we were right again, she said that they were "gracious" enough to open up on good Friday, so we had to accept that there might be a few problems. The food, however was delicious, even if the peas were garden peas out of the freezer, instead of mushy peas. I had lost the will to live by then, so didnt bother pointing this out! So, all in all, excellent, perfectly cooked fish in battercand homemade chips, slightly let down by the slightly confrontational waitress. Not sure if we'll be hurrying back, because of this. It's all about attitude.

Reviewed 3 April 2018

Didn't know what to expect. You never know if the food will be good as it used to be. We were very pleased you surprised.
The staff are very welcoming and friendly. The food was very good and well presented. The sofa in front of the wood burner is a great idea. Prices are very reasonable. The weather was really horrible when we got there, but being made welcome in a warm environment really helped and it was dry when we left
Thanks for the great food and warm welcome.

Stuart D, Owner at Hungry Bear, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2018

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

I've been here multiple times for their Sunday Roasts and was excited when a friend suggested we visit for Easter Sunday. As usual the food was amazing, the lamb was the best I've ever had! The service was great, attentive but not overbearing, the site is beautiful and I can only imagine it will be even more stunning in the summer. So far I've seen; geese, chickens, rabbits and ducklings! There's even a duck nesting right by the front door! So more baby ducks to come.
Would definitely recommend!