All reviews broad street faded grandeur large lounge old fashioned buffet breakfast all you can eat trouser press free car park twin room a bit tired city centre plenty of hot water visit hereford cathedral garrick character bells
Reviewed 4 June 2018 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights whilst at the Hay Festival, there is a special shuttle bus from Hereford station to the festival. Frankly it’s hard to find too many positives about this hotel. It’s cheap enough, it provides the basics for a stay, the room was a reasonable size, the Wi-fi worked ok for my basic use, it’s reasonably central (though just under a mile from the train station). And that’s the best I can do.
Locals told me it was the best hotel in town in the 70s, but it hasn’t really been updated since. The mattress was too soft to be very comfortable and the room was far too warm even with the window open (admittedly all my 4 nights the weather was muggy). The staff are not particularly friendly.
If you have to stay here then certainly avoid the breakfast buffet. There is not much other than poor quality hot English breakfast items. The only coffee is instant coffee sachets. All you can say is that it’s cheap. Fortunately there are good breakfast options very near, I would particularly recommend Cafe at All Saints.
I cannot recommend and would certainly not use if I visit Hereford again.

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank nickfear
Reviewed 3 June 2018 via mobile

My partner booked this hotel as we were attending a wedding in Hereford. We saw a 3 star rating and thought it couldn't be too bad. Don't get me wrong, we weren't expecting a boutique 5 star hotel, but our stay was something else.

When we arrived, Nicola on reception was very helpful and gave us the keys to our room. We arrived at our room and were immediately disappointed by the general decor, cleanliness and facilities in the room.

1. The carpets don't fit the room and are very worn. Carpet grippers are visible around the room and are dangerous.

2. All walls are marked with dirt.

3. Bedding is very dirty. The duvet was very dirty and ripped. No mattress or pillow protectors. Bedding stained and unwashed.

4. Running water is brown.

5. Iron had live cables hanging out of it, clearly not checked.

6. Everything in the room was disgustingly dirty.

7. Cocktail bar doesn't serve cocktails.

8. Shower doesn't work. Fell away from the wall and injured my partner's foot.

9. Manager "doesn't visit very often", owners "never visit" no point in complaining... As we were told!

We had the absolute worst stay here. I wouldn't recommend this to my worst enemy. It's such a shame as this lovely building has clearly been bought by money-hungry and "it will do" cowboys.

The staff were very apologetic and helpful, the owners really should be ashamed of themselves.

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank lo19871987
Ananda H, Public Relations Manager at The Green Dragon, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2018

Thank you for your feedback, on behalf of the new owners and management we hope to welcome you back in the future as we believe you will appreciate the impending refurbishment and improvements as we restore the hotel to it's former grandeur in 2019.

Reviewed 24 May 2018 via mobile

A nostalgic visit 50 years on which should have been magic BUT,.....
In all my years I have never had such a rude barman. He seemed to think a welcome word or even a word unnecessary. It would hardly improved matters if he had tucked his shirt in. We could not wait to leave his malign presence. This once splendid place is no longer special - it struggles to be third rate. What a terrible shame.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback, on behalf of the new owners and management we hope to welcome you back in the future as we believe you will appreciate the impending refurbishment and extensive improvements as we restore the hotel to it's former grandeur.

Reviewed 21 May 2018

A real shame to have to write this review. The hotel has a great location, from the outside it looks a lovely oldie hotel but the good news stops there.

The room we were given was fairly minimal and basic. Everything looked a bit old and unloved. The bed was an absolute disgrace , the worst i have seen in any hotel i have ever stayed any where! it look more like a temporary put up bed rather than a hotel bed. It had 6 legs but only two would touch the floor at any one time. Depending on how you were positioned would determine which two. if u were too near the front the back would raise and if u were too near the back the front would raise.

I raised this at reception and was told the hotel was fully booked so there was no option to move us. I was informed the best they could do was to organise a maintenance man to look at the bed,

I went back to the room and the maintenance man arrived looking very disgruntled, along with the lady I had spoken too at reception . He informed me there was nothing wrong with the bed it was the floor that wasn't level. He proceeded to take off one of the legs and said that should help.

As i had no other options i agreed that we would make do and stay in the room and just make do for the night although really not very happy about the whole situation.

At around 5pm the reception lady had told me she had a cancellation and another room was available. We took the alternative room thinking it could be no worse than the one we were in. we transferred our own bags and on first look the room appeared better..

When we returned to room at 9pm we discovered the room was no improvement. The bed were now in was extremely old. Springs we sticking out of one torn side, springs would dig into you in the night , the middle springs had given up so you sunk down in the middle.

I had a terrible nights sleep , my girlfriend didn't sleep at all. I woke up with a cricked neck and headache. We pulled of the sheet to look at the mattress further to discover a mattress covered in sweat or urine stains.This didn't make either of feel any better about the nights sleep we had just had.

Such a shame to let a hotel come to this.

I was surprised that I was asked to pay up front on arrival as I hadn't experienced this before. I can now see why and am sure lots of guests wouldn't be willing to pay after a night at The Green Dragon

• Trip type: Travelled with family

Reviewed 17 May 2018 via mobile

Old building modernised in the English way; central location opposite the Cathedral. Comfortable bed, nice bedding, friendly staff, wifi.
But Nescafe for breakfast..... YUK, need to do better than that

Trip type: Travelled on business