“Stunning hotel what a shame”

Lainston House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
Bath, United Kingdom
“Stunning hotel what a shame”
Reviewed 26 March 2012

The hotel, its surroundings and the bedroom were all Stunning.

Sadly with a couple of exceptions the staff were more interested in talking amongst them selves than serving customers. We really felt that we were getting in their way ......

The food was OK nothing special. What a terrible shame.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AlunX404
Lainstonhouse, General Manager at Lainston House Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Dear AlunX404

Thank you for your review of Lainston House. Whilst we are delighted to read that you found the bedroom and the surroundings stunning, we are less so to read that you did not experience the usual high levels of service that are mentioned by many other guests. We have been unable to identify the date of your stay and would appreciate if you could contact me personally so I can investigate further into your experience.

Yours Sincerely

David Connell
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Having stayed in other SLH hotels and enjoyed them, we decided to book Lainston for a birthday weekend. Big mistake.

We tried to use the valet parking service on arrival, but after waiting for 5 minutes for someone to talk to us, let alone park the car, we gave up and made the trudge from the carpark carrying our bags ourselves. Once in reception, the porter did turn up and carry our bags up to our room. It was at this point I should have heeded the alarm bells in my head and run away screaming. You know that room in the Amityville house where the priest gets attacked by flies? Well that was the room they gave us. There were dead flies everywhere and a single living fly buzzing around the ceiling, surveying the carnage below.

They sent someone up to clean up the room while we sat in the bar, and the receptionist did at least have the decency to look horrified. Dinner was fantastic, and the one shining light in the pit of horror that was our weekend away, though the free martinis were undrinkable. Top tip: They have flowers floating in water bowls on the table. Well, I assume they're water, they may well be the martinis of previous guests given the lacklustre housekeeping.

The next morning, after asking for no wakeup call at check-in, we were woken up at 7am by the phone ringing. Great. That was Saturday, when the wedding party turned up. Awesome.

We were out most of the day, but when we got back housekeeping hadn't touched our room. No surprise there, they were probably waiting for the flies to build up to a worthwhile number. Everything in the hotel was about the wedding party. Service for afternoon tea took ages, screaming children everywhere. Just what you want.

Dinner again was lovely. I believe the restaurant has 4 AA rosettes, and they're well deserved. The crying child in the corner was less lovely. As it repeatedly screeched 'It's not fair!' I really couldn't help but agree.

The wedding party really kicked off at about 9, when the bass from their band was making our attic suite vibrate. We complained and were told they'd turn it down, but there was no discernible difference in noise levels. So we complained again. Asked for some ear plugs and the manager. The manager took a long time to arrive and didn't bring any ear plugs with him. Told us that no one had complained about wedding noise before, which I can see isn't true from reading the other reviews here, and told us that usually the room we were in would be being used by wedding guests who wouldn't complain about the noise because they'd be down at the reception. Ahhhh. So clearly it was OUR fault for having the audacity to want to sleep in the room they put us in. Thanks for setting us straight on that one.

So, he disappeared off to look for earplugs, didn't find any, and instead of knocking to let us know, he quietly slipped a note under the door for us to find later which offered us a late check out. Because a late checkout more than makes up for not getting any sleep. Phoned reception again to find out what time the band were scheduled to stop playing so we could work out if it was worth driving home or staying. Was told midnight, so decided to wait it out. The party did end at midnight. Unfortunately, the drunk wedding guests and screaming children staggering back to their rooms was a gift that kept on giving.

Finally, FINALLY, got to sleep only to be woken up by ANOTHER wake up call at 7am. I assume a condition of the late check out was that we had to be awake and miserable the entire time we were using the room. At this point I couldn't wait to leave, and offering me extra time in the room was really the biggest insult of all, so we went down for breakfast. Service was sluggish at best with the 'cooked' breakfast arriving before the toast. Notice the quote marks? I've never been one to regard raw eggs as a cornerstone of the English breakfast. Stomped back to the room, grabbed all our stuff and went to check out.

As the receptionist itemised the bill I was prepared to pay for the bar and restaurant bill but as she pointed to the line labelled 'Bed and breakfast' I confess, I snapped. The manager rushed out and told us we wouldn't need to pay for our visit, which is a point in his favour, but then he offered us a voucher for a complementary return stay so he could prove his hotel really wasn't like this at all. You couldn't pay me to go back to that place. If I ever commit a really horrible crime you can send me back there. But not before.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
12 Thank Liz W
Lainstonhouse, General Manager at Lainston House Hotel, responded to this review, 23 March 2012
Dear Liz W,

I was very sorry to learn that your experience was not up to the standard that you should have experienced when staying at Lainston House. I can clearly see the reasons for your upsetting experience and I would like to reiterate the apologies presented to you on the day of your departure.

Following your comments we are reviewing several procedures, including the set up of wake up calls, to ensure that these exceptional circumstances are not repeated in the future.

We are used to hosting wedding parties, which apart from the afternoon drinks reception in the main house, take place in the Dawley Barn, away from any other guests. The rooms located near the barn are reserved for the wedding party and it is unusual to hear the music in the area of the hotel where you room was located, but nevertheless we are reviewing the way we do our room allocations and the levels of volume allowed for any amplified music in the barn.

I am dissapointed to hear that you would prefer for us not to invite you back, as I believe that your experience is by no means indicative of the usual high standards that the vast majority of our guests are able to enjoy. If you change your mind, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Yours sincerely,

David Connell
Surbiton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Just spent an amazing night at this wonderful hotel.The venue is so beautiful with stunning rooms and tasty food. Above all else what sets this hotel above others is the staff.They make you feel so welcome and so comfortable. They are truly so friendly. Every time I stay ( this being my thrid time) it is this that sets it above everything else.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2012

This hotel was absolutely gorgeous. Old and with plenty of character. The rooms were not huge but the bathroom was to die for. It was half the size of the bedroom with fabulous shower area and bath with television.

Breakfast was wonderful. I would recommend this to anyone, although it is a bit pricey for the average traveller.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank crisspy9
Esher, Surrey
Reviewed 29 February 2012

We have stayed at Lainston House hotel before and we were not disappointed by our welcome and our superb room. we were offered an upgrade but when I toured the rooms with the helpful staff member I chose the original room as for this visit we preferred cosy and modern to large and four poster. My husband loved watching the TV over the bath. We were there for the Buble tribute act Valentines event in their atmospheric barn. they managed an excellent dinner but our romantic evening was sadly ruined by other guests at the table next to us who preferred to talk and guffaw loudly, make speeches and engage in general banter whilst the other tables were trying to listen to the solo singer. We left half way through and had an early night but I have sympathy for the hotel the other loud party also were guests. We have decided we will still keep this hotel on our favourites list but avoid booking and "event" with them again.

Room Tip: There is a very wide choice of rooms so call first or ask to see a few different rooms on arrival. d...