New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of La Esquina - CLOSED

La Esquina
Price range: US$ 13 - US$ 25
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Business meetings, Groups, Romantic, Cheap Eats, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Description: La Esquina is a small, family run restaurant, serving a wide range of traditional and tasty Spanish tapas. Tapas are small dishes of delicious food, ideal to mix and match to your own preferences. A tapas meal is a very casual and sociable way of eating. Ideal to share and enjoy different tastes and textures. Choose from our comprehensive menu or add dishes from our specials board. Many of our dishes are suitable for vegetarians and almost all of our dishes are gluten free. Apart from our hot and cold tapas selection we also have some delicious home-made desserts. Tapas eating is great to celebrate all kind of occasions in a relaxed and informal atmosphere. We are more than happy to cater for small or large groups and to discuss your individual requirements with you. To accompany your meal we have a great range of Spanish wines as well as Spanish beers and cider. We are open Monday to Saturday from 11 a.m. so why not call in for a coffee, (light) lunch, business meeting or dinner with friends or family? Our friendly team look forward to welcoming you soon at La Esquina.
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Amazing tapas with great service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

We have eaten here about 5 times as a couple and with friends and each time is just as good. There's a wide range of tapas which are all delicious and very authentic. It's a very relaxed atmosphere and a laid back way to dining by ordering as much as you like or as little at a time, ordering all at once or a few dishes at a time. The owner is friendly and welcoming and the reason it's closed for 6 weeks in winter is because the owners go to Spain!

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank Lucy D
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

“Great simple food at good value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

The atmosphere is very "Spanish" in an authentic way and the service is friendly and fast. The menu is compact and laden with great tasting, authentic tapas dishes. La esquina has made it into our favourites list!

1 Thank Gallopinggourmets
Southampton
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fun & Inviting Place To Eat (oh and quick!)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

I live in Southampton, I'm a single guy and I hate to wash up so I love to eat out often!

La Esquina is my go to place, night after night. I enjoy 2 or 3 restaurants in Southampton but this is by far the best.

Have the meat balls! Just wanted to get the most important point across first. The first time I went in, the owner suggested them to me as they were gluten free and wow was I surprised. I guess I've had to many subways because I was to believe that meat balls were just an ok thing to eat but when I had them that first night and EVERY single time I've gone since, they have been amazing. Sort of like the first and last chocolate in a packet, you know, the way it tastes so good, EVERY SINGLE TIME!

I love going for a early evening dinner, around 6ish because it's not busy and so I don't wait long, I often go alone or with a friend. I like how I can go alone, with nearly everywhere else I've eaten at in Southampton, I've felt like asking for a table for one would be a problem but the owner is so welcoming and more than happy for you to take up a whole table for yourself.

Anyway, I'm an online marketer and know that if I make it sound to amazing, you will end up thinking this is fake so I'm going to cut it short and let you find out for yourself. Just please try the meat balls. You could ask for the 'Stu' Special which is what I have every single time, again, your have to find out for yourself what that is when you get there. I'm quite sure they will know what you mean when you say that.

Great place, 5 stars!

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank StuJonesJR
Poole, United Kingdom
“Excellent food - Very friendly staff and great Rioja”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

We decided to eat here last minute and the owner squeezed us in at 9pm on a Saturday night - it was extremely busy but service was quick and we decided to order a couple of dishes at a time. They also do a range of Spanish beers much to the delight of our friend from Spain!! We used to always eat here when we wanted Tapas

It was all very good - but what a shame the restaurant is closed from December to February 2012 - NEVER hear of this before !! we tried to book a party of 20 in just to get an answer phone message stating they were closed till FEB!!

It looks as if the restaurant has closed down being closed for soooooooooooo long !!

With the way things are heading for restaurants with the credit crunch I am surprised that the restaurant can gamble on people returning - we had to go to another Tapas around the corner and to be honest it was as good !! - We may try it again when the owners open - but to be honest its quite annoying when you fancy a meal to find the restaurant closed for 6 weeks!!

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank Theofficemanager40
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Friendly and Value for Money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

Lovely, tasty little portions of Spanish tapas, freshly prepared on a daily basis. Owners and staff alike very friendly and helpful, especially as they are well versed on gluten free food for coeliac diners. Very reasonably priced and well worth making it a regular place to dine.

Visited December 2011