“Nice place with good vegan options”
Review of The Wave Maiden

The Wave Maiden
Ranked #9 of 738 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Price range: US$ 5 - US$ 10
Description: Southsea's home of Sincere Beer. We serve a unique range of craft beer, cask ale, real cider and artisan wine along with homemade farm to table artisan cheese dishes.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Came for my first visit here with a friend who had been recommended The Wave Maiden for vegan food.
We went on a Friday mid afternoon, it was very quiet but pleasant.
The staff behind the bar was very knowledgeable on the big range of beers and ciders. We ordered drinks and sat to look over the menu.
I liked that the menu is split into two, with regular pub dishes on the left and the vegan equivalent on the right with the price in the middle, so you pay the same. Brilliant concept!
We had the vegan Lebanese flatbread and Mac n Cheese. The food came out in good time and was really nice. The flatbread was tasty but not a full meal in my opinion, it's much smaller than the average pizza size you would usually get but as it was a late lunch for my friend, totally fine. I tried it and it was nice.
The vegan mac n cheese was really nice, it had a good cheese flavour to it. The rosemary crumb on top was good but for me there was too much and as the meal isn't very saucy, it became quite dry to eat halfway through. I thought this was a very big portion and struggled to finish it. Ideally it would have been smaller by at least a third and served with salad or some sort of veg, as it is a heavy dish. That being said I knew was I was ordering and I enjoyed it a lot, that's just my opinion/suggestion!

I enjoyed my visit here and would recommend it to others. I would also return again!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Been here a few times now with friends and family. Great venue food is always great, drinks choice is good quality is just awesome.

Reviewed 26 September 2018 via mobile

I Love the style of the decor and the great selection of unique craft beers , lovely staff members and great food will definitely be back to visit soon .

Reviewed 16 September 2018 via mobile

We visited the Wave Maiden for the first time during an evening in Portsmouth. We had booked ahead which was a good move. The menu was great with a vegan option to match each non-vegan meal. The “Reuben” salt beef sandwich was utterly mouthwatering, really special. The selection of beers and ciders was fabulous.. the whisky cask cider was especially good. The atmosphere was lively, prices reasonable and the staff were great. The only reason for 4 and not 5 stars was that it was a bit too noisy. That could well have been down to the night we were there ( with a birthday party happening beside us). All in all, well worth a visit.

Reviewed 8 September 2018 via mobile

This restaurant is good for Vegans as well as non. My bean burrito was spicy enough and I had a local cider . Happy with my choice
Friendly service. Have quiz nights on Tuesday evenings.