2 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Expedia.com$111
Hotels.com$111
Priceline$110
Travelocity$111
Trip.com$111
Vio.com$111
1,125 results
All reviews gunwharf quays small pool refurbished room limited parking gun wharf bit dated buffet style spinnaker tower parking space full english breakfast was excellent tea and coffee free parking visit portsmouth one night stay following morning short break
Selected filters
Reviewed 27 October 2022

Where to begin really - some good and bad points - firstly the bad starting with the room; NO 432. Stayed for 2 nights in this room and it felt like two weeks - Top floor at the back of the Hotel I'm assuming - Absolutely wreaked of body odour from the moment I walked in - more prominent on the left hand side of the bed as you look at it. Whole room stunk of it - could not get rid of it - I was smelling it from the walls, the pillows, the sheets, the bed everywhere and lying in bed at night was like sleeping next to a smelly tramp. I ask if management could spend a night in this room and smell the problem. Pretty dismal room to be honest. The shower was a trickle when switched on, not great and the toilet seat slides all over the place when sat on. Needs tightening up or better still replacing.
The whole hotel I think is tired and could do with a refurb.

Parking; Limited parking around the hotel and if you are lucky enough to get a space outside then stay there. If you move your car to visit anywhere you will have lost your space and be driving around looking for another when you return. Probably end up paying the £10 nearby in public parking area for 24 hours

The Good; Staff generally very friendly and approachable and the breakfast was really nice to be honest. Plenty of choice and both mornings I had it the chef was replenishing it all so was freshly cooked. Bar staff again friendly and prices reasonable for drinks etc.
Location very good for tourist attractions and retail park Gunwharfe Quay is excellent nearby. All within walking distance as I did not want to take my car anywhere for reasons stated above.

Thats about it really - Would I stay here again that's a definate No. I actually cut short the visit by 24 hours as I just wanted to get home so cancelled 3rd night reservation.

Did I complain at the time again No. Hotel looked pretty full and I could not be bothered trying to move rooms to be honest. I'm sure there are much better family rooms in the hotel, but for single traveller's in the room I was allocated not a great room experience.

Room tip: Try to avoid the single rooms on floor 4 - and be prepared to lose your parking space if you move your car
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank geezer1England
Royal Maritime Club , Marketing at Royal Maritime Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2022

We are so sorry you did not have a good experience during your stay with us. Please could you contact receptionmanager@royalmaritimeclub.co.uk so that we can resolve your complaint directly? Many thanks.

Reviewed 14 October 2022

I can't believe the good reviews for this hotel. The whole place reeked of gone off cooking oil. The food was disgusting; on arrival in the evening I ordered a buger, which was the worst I've ever had. The patti was a a very cheap gristle filled lump of foul tasting meat, the burger bun was even worse, accompanied by a small handful of wilted salad leaves, with half a cherry tomato.

I avoided breakfast, but my wife attempted it and says the salad on offer was so old the lettece leaves were wilted and turning brown, the fruit salad was dried out, the pots of yogurt were out of date and on the advice of other diners she avoided the sausages and bacon.

Room tip: Go somewhere else

Reviewed 10 October 2022 via mobile

So had a night in portsmouth to catch ferry to isle of wight and having looked online picked the the Royal Maritime Club several things swung it like free parking and the swimming pool all in lovely staff,lady on reception was really nice (sorry dident get name but a slightly older person) swimming pool and sauna was lovely jacuzzi looked strange was very cloudy so dident use although other ppl were,sauna clean and hot did the job just what was needed after long drive. Floor was slippy in communal areas but was just carful. Room was OK bit dated but functional and breakfast which was included in our booking was very tasty,continental and hot buffet and all the usual other stuff. All in would recommend and would stay again if in area.

Room tip: Book parking as limited
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Royal Maritime Club , Marketing at Royal Maritime Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2022

Thank you for your kind review - we really appreciate you taking the time to write a review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We very much look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed 29 September 2022

Three of us on motorcycles stayed at the Hotel, which is a really nice historically period and beautiful building.
On arrival, the receptionist, Dianne was extremely pleasant very helpful and friendly.
Having arrived late off a ferry from France, we were just in time to order a bar meal, although there had been some confusion on the part of the barman; this was promptly and efficiently clarified by the Restaurant Manager Stephen Wiley, because of the somewhat unhelpful attitude of the barman. He ensured our meal order was taken and quickly prepared promptly. The quality of the food was really good and we were grateful of his professional, if not embarrassing intervention.
Our rooms were extremely, clean, comfortable and spacious.
I would describe this hotel as a little hidden gem and if I return to Portsmouth, it will be my go to hotel.
Well done Royal Maritime Club, especially Dianne and Stephen.

Date of stay: September 2022
Trip type: Travelled with friends

Thank you for your kind review - we really appreciate you taking the time to write a review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and will let Dianne and Stephen know that you were happy with their service. We very much look forward to welcoming you again soon..

Reviewed 9 September 2022

We stayed one night on our way home from London as we wanted to visit the Mary Rose and HMS Victory museums.
Secure parking across the road was ideal, with an endorsement from the hotel it cost £10 for 24hrs.
Check in was ok. First room given was initially impressive but had a funny smell. After going for a walk and returning to the room we identified that the room smelled of old vomit. We reported it to reception who kindly moved us to another room. Lovely rooms, spacious and modern. Full bathroom. Firm but comfortable bed. Room was on the hot side so had to leave windows open. Humming noise but not that bad unless you get worked up about that kind of thing. Doors need dampeners as they slam in the corridors but other than that a great place.
Breakfast was nice too.
If I was ever in Portsmouth again, I’d return here definitely.

Date of stay: September 2022
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Royal Maritime Club , Marketing at Royal Maritime Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2022

Thank you for your kind review - we are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We very much look forward to welcoming you again soon..