“Not so good” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 33 Stroud B&B and Inns
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Not so good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

We first visited this restaurant last year and had a fantastic meal, however we we recently visited again we were very disappointed. My husband ordered the lamb roast - it was overcooked. I ordered Hungarian Goulash, which had hardly any meat in it. The prices are on the high side considering the standards. We won't be returning for a third visit!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank unlimited_10
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Stroud, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

As local residents we took friends from Doha who previously lived in Minchinhampton for an evening meal. The food was very average and not up to our previous experience. When one of our guests Roast Pork meal arrived he asked for some apple sauce the waitress informed him it was on the meat, after trying the pork it was obvious that the sauce had not been put on the plate therefore my husband went to the bar and again asked for some sauce the waitress then proceeded to follow him to the table and asked to look at the dish and then stated that the apple sauce must have been missed off ! We felt this was very unprofessional and rude, when challenged about this the waitress stated that she did not wish to cause offence but did not actually apologise. We were also served our food and had to ask for the cutlery. It was an expensive meal for the service and for the quality of the food, I wish we had taken our guests else where !

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Finnian02
Minchinhampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

I'm a local resident so I really want The Old Lodge to do better, but it just never seems to meet my expectations. Yesterday, on Sunday 20th May, I took a couple of friends to the Lodge for a few drinks and a bite to eat. The service was awful (at one point I stood waiting at the bar whilst my food was getting cold whilst a bartender stool talking to her friends) and shortly after I had to argue with a waitress over what I had ordered. Thank goodness I kept my receipt so was able to prove what I had infact ordered at the bar 20 minutes earlier. No apology followed, I was however told that 'it had been a long day'. I'm a previous restaurant manager so I am fully aware of the long and tiresome hours, I am also aware that it should not have an impact on the service your customers throughout the day receive.

It's a lovely venue, and the food is quite nice (if not a little on the expensive side) but I feel that the staff could be managed and trained better to create an all-round better service environment for customers.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank SWordsworth2012
england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

It's always difficult going out on a Sunday night. Most pubs don't do food in the evenings and the ones that do are always quite empty and you feel a little bit like you're 'in the way'. Not so with our meal at the Lodge last night.
We live in the area and hadn't been to the Lodge for a while.
We were greeted warmly and ordered some olives to start. They weren't great. They certainly could make a bit more of an effort with the olives. Just pitted black and green. No nice garlicky/herby marinade at all. Just oil.

We had two roasts (one pork, one lamb) and one had the salmon. Have to say she was very disappointed with that. Odd topping and strange salad. She said it was ok, but said she'd make the wrong choice on the menu.

The roasts were fabulous. Very generous with roasted carrot and parsnip and beans and sprouting too. Lovely tender pork and nice lamb. Yes, potatoes had been hanging around a little but it's to be expected on a Sunday night. Yorkshire puddings were fab. Light and crispy. Nice to get one with the pork and lamb too rather than just the beef!

A really good pub roast and we'll certainly recommend and return.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Dianne B
Ascot
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

I arranged to have my husbands 40th birthday lunch here and we booked a table for approx 26. We prebooked the food and I want to comment the Old Lodge for making the whole epxerience easy and smooth running. The staff were amazing and effrything was effortless. The food was excellent and served together in a timely manner. Recommended.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stroud
6.9 km away
4.3 km away
The Imperial Hotel
The Imperial Hotel
#6 of 7 in Stroud

Been to The Old Lodge? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK